RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Gas Checks

Boolit Mold

Gas Checks

I'm starting up with cast bullets again but can't remeber something... I have some 8mm bullets lubed and ready to load. They are to be loaded "as sized." How do I put the gas checks on without sizing the bullet? Can I just press them on or do I need to by a sizer? Thanks!

Boolit Master
    I guess the only thing would be to get a Lee push through sizer that is the size of the boolit now. Less than $15.00 I think.

David

Banned

The checks have to be crimped on by running into a sizer.

Measure

You want the installed check to be about the same size as the boolit. I've run into a problem where the check was installed with a size die that was too big; the end result was a check bigger than the boolit. When loaded, the check stretched the brass and I lost case tension. (Not always the case, depends on the hardness of the brass.)

If you have a Lee FCD, you can install the checks by hand and then hold the boolit at the top of the die to crimp the check down to the right diameter. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    A Lyman 45, 450, or 4500 can be used to seat gas checks w/o lubing or sizing the boolit if you use the Lyman gas check seating accessory, or make one from a short piece of copper tubing.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

A quote and photo from a book long out of print:

Cast Bullets by Col E.H.Harrison USA (ret). Page 114

"It fits inside the sizing die nut of ordinary tools such as the Lyman and RCBS. Gas checks are set into the recess at the top of the fixture and are seated squarely onto the bullet bases by downward pressure of the top punch on the bullet noses. The fixture is then removed and the bullets are sixed and lubricated in the usual manner.

When gas checks are seated as part of the lubricating - sizing operation, inward pressure of the sizing die can crimp the gas check onto the bullet shank before the gas check is seated firmly and squarely against the bullet base. This is particularly true if the shank is tapered, and most are. Eliminating resulting irregularities is teh principal advantage of seating gas checks in a separate operation.

The gas check seating is easily turned on a lathe from 1" dia. bar stock. The recess at the top is amde about .035" deep and about .005" larger than the gas check. The bottom is turned down to about 5/8" diameter to fit inside the nut which holds the sizing die. No change in the normal tool setup is required to use this fixture. R.N.S."
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 02-16-2006 at 05:21 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Photo that took yonks to upload, but didn't make it!

Bit rough, taken with digital camera. It will give you the idea though.

I give up!
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 02-16-2006 at 06:28 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."