MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A letter to Lyman explaining why

In Remembrance

A letter to Lyman explaining why

(I've become increasingly unhappy with Lyman in the following years, and often refer to them today as "the new Lyman." I remember the old Lyman VERY fondly and miss them. The stunt they pulled with this board was the last straw for me--I'll no longer buy anything Lyman, nor will I recommend anything Lyman. The following is my letter to them explaining why.)

To whom it concerns:

I began reloading in 1970 at my father's side and with his mentorship and guidance. During those days, we used primarily Lyman and RCBS equipment.

Some years down the road while serving in the military, a group of us continued to reload as we shot competitively in inter-service matches and competitions. We saw--and used--a lot of orange equipment. Lyman, along with other notable brands, often had a presence even at typically "closed" matches held on military installations. I always remember your brand being good to shooters and reloaders.

As a natural part of the journey of being a student of The Gun, I began casting my own bullets, or "boolits" as we call them on the home gathering site that you have recently and deliberately snubbed. Like scores before me, I began by reading your "Casting Bullets" handbook. Likes tens of thousands before me, I also relied heavily on Lyman reloading data manuals. Cast boolits and Lyman manuals went together like peas and carrots, as Forrest Gump would say.

Recently, you met a member of a place I and over 8,000 other loyal boolit casters and reloaders call home--the Cast Boolits forum. You, the Lyman brand, met this member at the 2009 Orlando SHOT show. A deal was struck for Lyman to help sponsor our forum in exchange for highly visible and direct advertising on our site. The "sponsorship" consisted of little more than the donation of a handful of items/components to be auctioned off, proceeds of which go to keep the forum financially stable.

Bear in mind that our site has over 8,000 members alone--no telling how many "lurkers" and "casual passerbys" visit the site on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Given today's political administration and the frantic rush to stockpile ammunition, I would venture that a LOT of "passerbys" come to our forum.

I further understand that one of our members had a problem with a competitor of yours and spoke his mind--as he is free to do as an American citizen and a consumer of MANY different firearms-related brands. I further understand that this conversation somehow ruffled the feathers of Lyman management.

According to a Lyman representative, you folks don't like "bully pulpits" where shooters, reloaders and boolit casters can criticize manufacturers. So, you pulled out of the deal you had made with Cast Boolits.

Long story short, the Lyman banner is no longer on the Cast Boolits site, and given the nature of how this exactly went down, there are some ruffled feathers among many members and guests of Cast Boolits from my vantage point as a mere member of the site. The message is that Lyman will not tolerate criticism, deserved or undeserved, or any brand in the shooters' world.

Uh-huh.

So now that I know Lyman has entered the realm of Political Correctness, I now understand why I write the following to you.

Put bluntly, I used to be a loyal Lyman supporter. VERY loyal. I have many of your moulds and sizing dies. My favorite, to this day, lubesizer is my cherished Lyman 45. I have a good number of your case-prep hand tools. I have used your Orange Crusher and pulled the handle hundreds of thousands of times since I first purchased it on an enlisted man's meager E-2 salary back in the 70's.

A few years ago, I noticed a change, or shift if you will, in Lyman's attitude towards customer service and customer loyalty. It became inconsistent. I had several phone calls looking for parts, and one looking for warranty assistance. For the first time in almost forty years of dealing with reloading manufacturers, I was actually challenged as to why one of YOUR components broke--a Lyman 4500 lubesizer. Never mind that I had the same exact problems with it that so many on the MidwayUSA site negatively reviewed the lubesizer in regards to. I was told "it was my fault and warranty will not cover it."

Fine. Anyone and any company can have a bad day, an off day. But I tried calling a few days later after I thought about it some. Was told the same thing by a different person on the phone.

Now I have a sour taste in my mouth. I buy a Lyman mould a year ago, and it threw bullets that were both out of round and over .003 too large. Called you up and was told I basically didn't know how to "prep my alloy" and was challenged on how exact to "Lyman Number 2" I was. I hung up in disgust and threw the mould in the garbage.

Even after that, I kept my opinion about the "new Lyman" pretty much to myself. But no longer.

After learning about how you did the owners at Cast Boolits, this was the final straw.

Since that incident, I have purchased five new moulds--not one of which came from you or was manufactured by you. I've purchased three new sizing dies. Fortunately, RCBS dies work just fine in BOTH a Lyman 45 as well as an RCBS LubeAMatic II.

In the past ten days, I've had two different families come over to my reloading shop to learn the basics of reloading. I let them use my equipment to ensure this is something they wish to pursue. Eventually, with both families, the subject of "which brands" came up. I gave glowing reviews to RCBS, Dillon, Lee and even Hornady--which has never been a favorite of mine, although I couldn't tell anyone exactly why.

When Lyman was asked about, I stated that it would be snowing in Hades and Obama would be wearing twin six-shooters and wearing his birth certificate as a necktie before I ever purchased--or recommended--ANYTHING made by Lyman.

Then I explained why. And I explained that what transpired with Cast Boolits was the final straw and that I found it indicative of the "new Lyman's" corporate culture and attitude.

I'm still a bit dumbfounded that a brand that was at the forefront of bringing boolit casting into people's homes would snub THE most popular, credible and knowledgable forum found anywhere on the world wide web. . . and for the reason(s) you did.

Not only do we cast boolits, but we also reload and we also shoot. Many of us are CBA members as well, but that forum doesn't get five percent of the traffic, members and guests that Cast Boolits does. Great folks over there, no doubt, but fact is, they don't get the casual, targeted and destination traffic that Cast Boolits does. Not by a long shot.

So, what you've done is given 8,000+ of us all the more reason to spend our money with the Red, Green and Blue brands. Their customer service is still top-shelf, as is their word and honor. The hordes of new reloaders that are being "born" each day, thanks to the political climate mean that those of us who've been rolling our own for all these years are being sought out almost DAILY for our opinions and advice on which brands to patronize. My answer will be simple: Anything but Orange.

Things have obviously changed at Lyman, and obviously not for the better. And that is truly a shame.

Honestly? I'll miss seeing the Lyman banner at Cast Boolits. It's a storied, historical brand and one can't help but think of casting when one sees the brand. But given how the parting of ways occurred, whenever I see the Lyman brand, it will now only serve to remind me that things have changed far too drastically at your company for me to patronize it further.

I do not speak for anyone at Cast Boolits other than myself. I have enjoyed the fine folks there and their hospitality and other-world knowledge and experience since 2004, when it was known by a different name. Put simply, in the world of shooting and reloading, the owners, administrators and members of Cast Boolits represent the absolute finest among the shooting and reloading population. And as proud as I am to be part of that home, I am equally disappointed in Lyman's actions regarding Cast Boolits.

With sincerest regards,

xx xxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxx, xx
    Last edited by Recluse; 04-01-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Boolit Buddy

We eagerly await their reply.
    Will Fly For Boolits

Boolit Master
    Recluse,
    I think your letter was very well done and it closely speaks to my feelings as well. I started reloading metallic cartridges in 1964 with a Lyman Ammo Maker in .45acp. i have three of their reloading manuals, plus numerous dies and molds. I have dealt with RCBS and Lyman regarding replacement parts for reloading gear and have found RCBS fair superior in customer service. Thats why most of my reloading gear is green with a bit of red thrown in.

I feel sad that a company with such a long history in the reloading field has apparently deteriorated to this level. I can't think of any other board that would be a more appropriate place for the Lyman banner to be displayed.

Perhaps Lyman is posturing for a TARP bail out?

Recluse, you are wrong! You do speak for others on this forum. At least 1 other for sure...ME!

Boolit Master
    Same here Reluse, you said it better than I could have. Lyman is out in my eyes. I know what you mean about the out of round boolits too! I have 4 moulds that are that way!

1911sw45
    Adam

Boolit Bub

Turn into a petition of sorts?

Add me to the list.

George
    Last edited by ggb3; 04-01-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Moderator Emeritus

I will continue to buy gear from the "old lyman" by trading with others on the board or buying second hand products as the old molds are still well worth while. Lyman's golden years were well behind it anyway as the management of late has consistently dropped the best performing molds from their catalogs and reduced the options shooters had to those that were easiest for lyman to produce.

As far as directly sending lyman my money, I think not.

In this era where companies in general and leisure products companies in specific are fighting to stay financially solvent, it does seem more than a bit foolish to alienate one's customer base. I'm sure RCBS, NEI, Lee, Hoch, Rapine and the custom makers (See Classics and Stickies forum for contact info) are all thanking lyman about now for the help.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Buddy
    I was going to buy two new 4-cavity Lyman moulds, but now I will only buy used ones.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I'm a bit curious; which competitor did someone have a gripe against? And why would it bother Lyman? I mean that's like saying if I bash Chevy, Ford gets mad!

Their precision has always been uncertain. Their customer service was always all that kept them in business. Their perspective has always been baffling. Piffing us off wasn't a smart move. I'll avoid them in the future.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

I had a Lyman mold with a problem---it was probably 25 years old so that's an understandable deal. I sent it to them and it was repaired and I was charged accordingly and a little more. Has anyone ever paid for repair of an RCBS item even when it was their fault? If so Ive not heard about it and I know for my part I never have. Guess what I buy? That was such a no brainer question even Scrounger could answer it.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    I had a Lyman mold with a problem---it was probably 25 years old so that's an understandable deal. I sent it to them and it was repaired and I was charged accordingly and a little more. Has anyone ever paid for repair of an RCBS item even when it was their fault? If so Ive not heard about it and I know for my part I never have. Guess what I buy? That was such a no brainer question even Scrounger could answer it.
    Absolutely. My RCBS powder scale broke. No reason, just quit. I called them and they told me no electronics were covered. I paid to ship it, paid to fix it, then paid to ship it back and fix it again when it still wasn't working. All told I spent $85 to fix it, almost enough to get a new scale. That really soured me on them. Oh sure the $5 decapping rod was free when it bent but when it came to something real they bailed.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

FYI Recluse,, we passed the 9,000 mark this morning. So,, that's 9,000+ registered and unknown numbers of visitors that drop by to listen in and absorb the discussions.
    Good and Bad , great and poor all get exposure to those of us that reload, with or without boolits we our ourselves or those we purchase. Millions of hits a month and some real information that is truly unavailable in the printed books.

Will Lyman survive without us,, of course,, will we survive without Lyman,, of course.
    There is simply too much demand for reloading gear in today's marketplace for Lyman to fail, it would take some serious work at failing and alienating your customers for anyone to fail in the market as it is, but,, when this passes, and I expect it to pass,, the seeds they sow today will be reflected in the bottom line.

No amount of advertising can truly overcome a poor attitude from the company seeking sales, for every customer that tells a friend about a poor experience tells ten others or more. I sure do and after displaying their banner proudly here just to get spurned tells me quite well how they intend to take care of us in the future as "consumers".
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Lyman

Thanks for a very good letter that gets to the point. Lyman has gotten so big, just take a look at all the divisions under their umbrella, that they have lost sight of the customer, at least if there is a problem.

I used to deal with one of their other divisions, a company called RayTech, for one of my other hobbies, they were always miserable to deal with even when I was only trying to buy something. It's too bad, these were good American companies, but I am not sure they deserve our support.

John
    -Remember-
    Anything is possible if you don’t know what your talking about.

Straight to the heart, Love it! Corparate America forgots who built them.
    Improvise,Adapt, OVERCOME.....

Quote Originally Posted by Daves1 View Post
    Straight to the heart, Love it! Corparate America forgots who built them.
    Very typical actually,,after all we are just "consumers" and "human resources".
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

castboolits@gmail.com

I don't understand why folk are getting so heated over Lyman not wanting to parpicate in this board. I think it's pretty arrogant to assume that they should.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Its not the not participating Jeff,, they made a deal with us at the SHOT Show to support us with products to auction off to keep the site up,, we did our part immediately and they followed up the shot show by backing out of their promise after their banner had been up for two months.

Its about a deal being a deal. It's about making good on a business deal.
    Same as if someone sold something here, got the cash,, then decided to keep the goods anyway.

castboolits@gmail.com

anachronism
    Wow, this is bad. Lyman left because we ran a long-term post trashing another manufacturer. They likely figured that that thread could just as easily been them & so they quietly withdrew their support from the board and left. Now they are getting the same trashing that Redding did.
    Last edited by anachronism; 04-01-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: the truth is an ugly thing

Boolit Mold
    Recluse,

Very well written letter. However, I've learned over the years while working for a number of corporations that "To whom it may concern" letters end up in the shredder. I've found you'll do better by directing the letter to the president of the company.

Last September, a situation arose with Lyman and I wrote directly to the president.

His mailing address is:

Mr. J. Mace Thompson, President
    Lyman Products Corporation
    475 Smith Street
    Middletown, CT 06457

You may wish to resend the letter. I'm quite sure if you address it to Mr. Thompson, he'll read it.
    For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. - Thomas Jefferson

Dick Kahrs

NRA Benefactor