WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Duplicating WW

Banned

Duplicating WW

I like WW but am running short in supply. I'd like to duplicate WW with an alloy from Rotometals. Since my WW cast at a BH 11, and the Lyman manual says 94/6 lead/tin has a BH of 11, the closest I can see is Rotometals alloy of 94/6 Lead/ANTIMONY. Is this what I want? I'm also heat treating the WW bullets to 22. Would I still need to add tin if I already do for "fill-out" problems? How would the antimony affect the result?

If you're using lead with 6% antimony, mix it 50/50 with pure lead to get your SB% right about where it is in clip on WW's.

Add 2% tin to that, if you need it for bullet fill out.

Boolit Bub
    If you have some pure lead I will trade you for WW's.

Boolit Master

Wheel weights vary in composition. On average they consist of 3 to 4% Sb and 0.5% Sn.
    If you need to heat treat, antimony is essential and a trace of arsenic helps. The arsenic acts as a catalyst during heat treating. WW's have a trace of arsenic in them which is one of the reasons they heat treat so well.

Like Ole said, if you buy that antimonial lead from Rotometals, mix it 50-50 with pure lead, assuming you have any.

Here's a web page that has a lot of good info on cast bullet alloys. You might find it interesting.
    http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm

Wow, Rotometals gets a pretty penny for that stuff don't they?
    Where are you located? Did your wheel weight source dry up or start recycling?
    Just curious.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Or you can mix 3:1 pure lead and Lino. It comes out to just a slight harder alloy, or mix 4:1 and then add a little tin.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Banned
    Ok, so if I'm going to make 1000 350 grain bullets, I'll need 21.5#pure lead (I don't stock any at this time) and 21.5# 94/6 lead/antimony: Rotometals has both and will deliver to my door for $87. Heck, a box of gas checks is $40, and what's that?. Now I don't have to beg at tire shops, clean the weights, smelting, etc. 1000 store bought bullets are $300. Plus, I get the benefit of making BOOLITS!

Or I might do what jdgabbard said to do. I just like to get all your input.

Banned
    Ole
    If you're using lead with 6% antimony, mix it 50/50 with pure lead to get your SB% right about where it is in clip on WW's.

Add 2% tin to that, if you need it for bullet fill out.
    Ole's mix is the cheaper of the two. I'll try that one out. Thanks all.

Boolit Bub
    Not sure where you live, but try calling a couple scrap yards to see if they have WW. You should be able to buy them for less than $.50/lb (if they have them).

Banned
    So do they bring them out to you, or you bring your own bucket and shovel, crate, etc and go "fetch it" yourself? I need a "real" picture of how you do it so I can prepare.

Boolit Master

From what I understand, most of the ones that will turn around and sell to the public require you to go out and get the stuff. Could be wrong tho, as I can't find one around my neck of the woods.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Banned
    Good day today. Scrapyards, recyclers, metal scrap, etc. - Forget it. They don't have it, won't have anything to do with you. Open a phone book and start from A - Z and you will learn. I did, today.

Today I made two visits to two places and got 2 full buckets of wheelweights for $20 total. One even had some reloading equipment. It was just junk and a bunch of 357 and 38 shells, 30-06 shells and 30-30, and old Lyman turret press and just lots of cartridge boxes and 38 shells. I bought it for $10. So I don't need Rotometals or anybody. I get what I need on my own.

If you don't want to be bothered with scrounging, just buy some lead shot & add a little solder to it. Going rate for a 25 pound bag these days is $30-$35. At $30/bag, it's $1.20/lb. At $35/bag, it's $1.40/lb. That's a whole lot better than Rotometal's prices.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Banned
    Actually I found out that I like getting my own now. Nobody likes to have to go "begging". But's it's not that bad. It's a great way to "see the world", get away from that desk if you are a beancounter.