Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good scope for 454 raging bull?

Banned
    OK, my opinion has shifted. I put on the Ultradot 30 w/ the 4 moa dot and I think that's the way to go for what you are looking for. That size dot is perfect because as the shot breaks you can see your error. And 4moa is 2 moa at 50 yards. Unless you are shooting at aspirin tablets, you don't need a scope. That dot is accurate enough for as far as you can hold over with a Raging Bull.

I really didn't think that i wanted a red dot, however, I will say you have peaked my interest, I hadn't really seen one I liked but I think I could grow to appreciate the Ultra Dot 30. Not to mention appreciate the price.

Has anyone had any warranty issues with the ultra dot scopes, I read lifetime, do they handle their warranties as well as Leupold?

Banned

I use a leupold 2X for load work. It is so old it has whiskers but has held up to everything. I have a Tasco 2X that nothing will ever hurt.
    I ate Burris scope tubes on my .44, dead soft aluminum.
    I can NOT hunt with a scope, they are like black holes in the mornings and evenings.
    My Ultra Dot's have held up to thousands and thousands of heavy .475 and 45-70 loads. Magnum Research uses them.
    Marko had a ladder stand collapse on him when pig hunting, his gun fell to the stand and then 12' to the ground. There was no damage and it is still dead on. The Ultra Dot was not harmed.
    There might be better red dots but I can buy 3 Ultra Dots for the price of one.
    Bushnell, Tasco and Millet red dots have bitten the dust for me.
    Swift scopes MIGHT last until you get sighted, mine didn't.
    Did I tell you my guns RECOIL!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oleycow View Post
    I really didn't think that i wanted a red dot, however, I will say you have peaked my interest, I hadn't really seen one I liked but I think I could grow to appreciate the Ultra Dot 30. Not to mention appreciate the price.

Has anyone had any warranty issues with the ultra dot scopes, I read lifetime, do they handle their warranties as well as Leupold?
    Yes, I had the switch screws come loose in one. I contacted the place I needed to send it to and he told me I needed proof of purchase. I could not find it so I called Ultra Dot West. He said don't worry, he would fax it for me. The whole switch was replaced quick and I had it back very fast. Super service.

Banned

thats the answer. Probably the most rugged handgun scope made and you should be able to pick up even a new one for not much more then 200 bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    Oleycow, you may also want to try the gun shows for a used scope. Over the last year I have ran across several Leupold 2X and 4X scopes in the $100-150 range. I have several 2X models and they hold up really well. Best of all they are warranted for life.

Banned
    I can NOT hunt with a scope, they are like black holes in the mornings and evenings.
    But I thought the scope improved on the light gathering.

Banned
    and he told me I needed proof of purchase
    So now maybe Leupold needs to have a cheap red dot, like they did with the Warne rings Warne no longer carries, Leupold bought out Warne and they have QRW rings.

Groo here
    Also look at your mount...
    JD puts 3 or 4 rings on a scope to stop the tube bending as this brakes
    scopes most often...

Boolit Grand Master

I've spent a lot of time with scopes and Red Dots. Until my vision went south I used scopes. Then when my eyesight deteriorated, I went with Red Dots.

You DO need to practice with either. I would mount my revolver repeatedly in my family room. Time after time after time. When my first deer came into view there was no fumbling around. I have shot running targets with handguns with scopes and did well with them. It just takes practice.

Regarding accuracy, I can shoot under an 1" at 25 yards off a bench (2" at fifty yards and under 4" at 100 yards). You just need to use the correct target. I have often used a man sized silhouette (the IPSC silhouette is perfect). Turn it sideways, put it at 100 yards and you have a good deer target. It is tan in color, no aiming point (I never had an aiming point on any deer, so that works perfectly). Before every deer season, I would shoot as many as 2500 rounds in the weeks leading up to deer season with my scoped handgun. Did I mention you need to PRACTICE?

The Red Dots are the same only more visible in a darkened woods. The only disadvantage of the Red Dot is that it is battery powered. However, batteries are less than a dollar from "BatteryBob. com" and just put a new one in every other day and you'll be ready.

I learned to shoot a scope and/or a Red Dot offhand and you can too. Just put up a 9" pie plate and the maximum distance you can put five shots straight into the pie plate will be a measure of maximum shooting distance when hunting deer.

Practice!

Dale53

Well I did it

I went ahead and purchased a 30 mm matte silver ultra dot from ultra dot west. Shipping was fast cost is reasonable however the #8 setting for the light did not work. When on #8 the light would go out.

Had to send it back to Larry's and he fixed it and returned it within 2 weeks. So i finally was able to take it out to shoot.

It adjusted quickly and by 10 rounds I was laying them ontop of each other at 25 yards with a bency rest. Quickly ran out of ammo.

Loaded up more last night in hopes of hitting the range this time at 50 and see how my new set up performs.

Thanks for the advice. I am very satisfied with the Red Dot. I think I made the right choice.

Oleycow

Boolit Grand Master

oleycow;
    The one thing we did NOT mention about Red Dots is that they are addictive. After you shoot one for a while, it becomes tiresome to go back to iron sights.

I LOVE my Red Dots and have returned to my performance level of many years ago (but I have vision problems and the Red Dot pretty much eliminates that "excuse").

Now, I am tempted to put a Red Dot on my new Ruger .44 Lipsey Special ("tell me it ain't so")...

Dale53