Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Shot some of my cast boolits today.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up Shot some of my cast boolits today.

I was able to shoot some of my own cast boolits again today. I have the water cooled separated from the air cooled and have them loaded with the same charge. The air cooled boolits leaded the barrel a bit and the water cooled boolits did not.

I did shoot quite a few of the air cooled boolits and was able to keep the barrel clean by putting a jacketed bullet in each mag. When I was finished shooting I loaded one mag with cast boolits and shot them. Cleaning was easy as the jacketed bullets cleaned all the lead out.

Boolit Bub
    A jacket to clean out the leadding? Cool idea, what alloy were you using?

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    supv26, What cal were you shooting?

Boolit Buddy
    I am using the LEE TL 452-230-2R mold. I am not sizing my boolits and loading with 3.8 grain of CLAYS. My alloy is range scrap.

Boolit Buddy

Waterquenching makes the boolits a little harder. However, If you are using range scrap, remember one batch will be different from the rest.
    Come and take them, Boolits first.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lunicy View Post
    Waterquenching makes the boolits a little harder. However, If you are using range scrap, remember one batch will be different from the rest.
    It is different.

At the velocities that I shoot pistol boolits, it makes little difference. I do however, keep the various lots seperate in there own containers, load and shoot until they're gone.

There seems to be enough better lead in the range scrap to allow some hardening. But that also varies from batch to batch also.
    Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Yea, I am sure the hardness will be different from batch to batch. I am statisfied with either one but I know I will do all of my casting now with water cooling the boolits. I have cases of 45acp ammo stacked so I will never run out of "cleaning" ammo.

Several years ago I was able to pick up a lot of this bulk 45 ammo at a bargain price. Most of it was WIN in plain white boxes, no writing or print at all on the boxes, just the cases were marked. It was manufactured for police ranges and I was able to get some for myself mainly for the brass for reloading.

Boolit Grand Master

I've cast quite a bit of indoor range scrap. Of course every bucket is a bit different, but I estimate the stuff I have at 25% jacketed, 25% commercial cast and 50% .22s over time. I try and even things out by smelting several buckets at a time and jumbling the ingots before storage. Anyway, this scrap air cools pretty soft and water quenches about the same as ACWW. One of those 2 configurations has worked for every handgun application I have from target .38s to full snort .44 mag.