MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: 788 rem. .308

788 rem. .308

i have a lee 168gr rn gas check mold
    anyone here have this rifle?
    TACKDRIVER with hor. sp bullets and varget
    i want a good load with cast @ around 1600-1800fps
    got the gun about 7 years ago for $300 from local gun shop
    glass bedded action, 2lb trigger, and sako extractor.......NICE FIND!
    have not played with cast boolits much yet.
    powders on hand that may work are
    imr4227
    imr4198
    h4895
    imr3031
    unique
    titegroup
    varget???
    any help would be much loved!
    thanks again brothers!
    waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    I'm going to assume you have the Lee C309-160-RN and it's casting a little heavy because you are using WW for alloy. 22 grains of IMR 4198 would be the place to start. Size at least .309 and use a decent soft lube.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Cast Hunter

I have the same rifle and have had great success using a Lyman 311291 (sized to .311) and IMR 3031. I don't have the data in front of me, but IIRC the charge was 30.0 grains with velocity about 2000 fps.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master

I think .311 will drive pressure up too high. I use the 413 sized at 308 and it does a good job at 100yds. they made 3 different barrels so you may have to play with it mine is the 22in

boolits are cast from 100% lino
    redrooster HVR will be the lube..........its what i have on hand........
    by the way.........does anyone here sell lube for a decent price?
    i prefer the hard lube.........just a thought...............waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Master

Contrary to what some scribes write, straight lino is not a good alloy for casting boolits. Way too hard - the boolit will sometime actually break if dropped, and a thread somewhere on this forum shows a boolit that broke off just below the neck of the case.
    Mix your lino 1/1 or up to 2/1 WW/Lino. This will provide a tougher boolit that still has enogh tin to fill out nicely, and be hard enough to handle any reasonable velocity.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

My daughter and I were out this afternoon shooting this 788. This is the carbine version in 308W. I picked it up on consignment in 2000, with the scope, for $225. This rifle is an excellent cast boolit shooter. It shoots alot of different loads well, but today we got excellent accuracy using the RCBS 180gr SP cast of wheelweights, Felix lube, and 30 grs of Varget.

Boolit Grand Master

waco

Very nice rifles and quite accurate too. I've had several over the years and currently have a .308W also. Suggest next time you cast mix the linotype 60/40 with lead. As mentioned a bit of a softer alloy does, most often, make for better cast bullets especially at the 1600-1800 fps range you mention. BTW; that is the best range for the best accuracy. I also suggest you use the 4227 and 4198 powders. These are the right burning rate, will ignite consistently and give good consistent shot to shot velocities with the weight of cast bullet you are using at the velocities you want. The 4895 and 3031 are good if you want to be closer to 1800 fps. Use a 1/2 gr dacron filler with all the above powders as it will increase the consistency of ignition and hence accuracy also. Nice rifle and sounds like someone did some decent work on it. Let us know how you do.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    i have a lee 168gr rn gas check mold
    anyone here have this rifle?
    I used to have one. After a bolt handle replacement, glass bed, barrel set back 1/5 turn to min headspace, and a pachmayr decelerator, it would shoot one inch groups all day.

I had a failure to fire hunting a lost a buck to it. Cartridge had a tiny, tiny dimple where the firing pin was supposed to have struck. Next cartridge fired fine, but it was too late.

It checked out OK after that, but I could never trust it again, eventually sold it off. Missed it until I bought a Kimber 84M in 308Win.

-HF

thanks for the input larry
    ill let ya know how it works!
    waco

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Vly,
    Are you from the area of the VLY near Livingstonville and Franklinton off Rt. 145 N/O Durham ? I use to hunt in E. Durham and did a little duck hunting in the Vly.

Hipshot