MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Removing a barrel on an MAS

Boolit Buddy

Removing a barrel on an MAS

I am having a major problem removing the barrel on a MAS. I know the basics, but this thing is stuck. How hot can I get it before messing it up? Any other tricks.

I am going to rechamber it if I can ever get it off.
    Come and take them, Boolits first.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

There was a thread recently about a stuck Mauser barrel that just beats this subject to death. Look it up? I would try kroil first. If you heat a tempered part past about 300 degrees, you're in danger of re-tempering it.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Buddy

did a search, do you have a link?
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

"Difficult Barrel Removal On a Mauser" by Bruce Drake
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Buddy

got it, thanks guys.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Boolit Master

What are you rechambering it too? You can rechamberit while it's still on the action if you use an extension T-Handle and take your time. 7.5 MAS to 308 WIN is actually a pretty simple conversion. I've done it on one of mine and it's a lot nicer chamber than what Century Arms was selling a few years back.

And yeah, those two Yugo Mausers were B*tchs to pop off but now they are a 22-250 and a 260 REM. So you can succeed if you think twice and beat once

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    What are you rechambering it too? You can rechamberit while it's still on the action if you use an extension T-Handle and take your time. 7.5 MAS to 308 WIN is actually a pretty simple conversion. I've done it on one of mine and it's a lot nicer chamber than what Century Arms was selling a few years back.

And yeah, those two Yugo Mausers were B*tchs to pop off but now they are a 22-250 and a 260 REM. So you can succeed if you think twice and beat once

Bruce
    Before you confuse the guy to rechamber one of those 7.5 Mas's to 308 you have to set the barrel back first. Why ream it in the rifle while you have the barrel off then? I have one of those Century Arms conversions and it's pretty dang good. Guess I lucked out. There are a few things they done wrong though. One when they set the barrel back they pretty much did away with the bigger shoulder the French had on the barrel. That takes away from the accuracy. Two being the barrel is 9/16 inch shorter, so is the gas tube, combine that with the higher pressure 308 round, it's not easy on the action. Three they went and cut some coils off the recoil spring. That doesn't help the action any either.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    My MAS is so accurate I'm gonna 'sleeve it' that is, sleeve it alone!

My old grandad always taught me to soak the offending part well (pre WD40/Kroil days) and then tap the piece repeatedly with a hammer/drift/soft blow whatever whilst applying the horsepower.

Four Fingers
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Bub
    Only the French (& Remington) would bend a bolt handle AWAY from the shooter
    Greg

Boolit Master

Joe,

My MAS rifles were of the 1936 variety. Bolt Action uglies. Only semi-auto firing came out of my cycling the bolt so rechambering would not cause any pain. Rechambering a MAS 54 semi-auto as you describe is a whole different ballgame that I don't intend to toss a ball into.

Bruce

Banned
    Joe,

My MAS rifles were of the 1936 variety. Bolt Action uglies. Only semi-auto firing came out of my cycling the bolt so rechambering would not cause any pain. Rechambering a MAS 54 semi-auto as you describe is a whole different ballgame that I don't intend to toss a ball into.

Bruce
    Bruce,

You are most certainly correct on yours being a bolt action, but you still have to set the barrel back about 9/16 inch to rechamber a 7.5 French to 308.

Joe

Boolit Master

That is true regards to 308 Win. 308x57 is the chambering my MAS's barrels ended up with.

Banned
    That is true regards to 308 Win. 308x57 is the chambering my MAS's barrels ended up with.
    Bruce,

Cool, so is that a 7x57 necked out to 308 then? I know that in the case of the semi auto MAS that would work better out of the magazine because the body shape is more close to the 7.5 French then the 308 Win is.

Joe
    P.S. What's the reason for that choice..brass availability? You know you can make the 7.5 French from 6.5 Swede right?

Boolit Master

Joe,

Thats exactly what I did. 7x57 case necked up to 30 cal. And yes, 7.5 MAS brass was tough to get in the 90s. I can use the common x57 length cases for these rifles. RCBS has the die set on the shelf last I knew. Last batch of brass were 8mm Mauser cases that I then trimmed to length and fireformed with a lite load of Unique.

Bruce