RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Light Load in .41 Magnum?

Favorite Light Load in .41 Magnum?

I have a .41 again after maybe 5-years without. I still have all my dies, brass, bullets, moulds and now I have a New Model Blackhawk 4-5/8". I have loaded many full-house loads for the .41 so I know that territory well enough. I am in need of a light load for plinking and small game.

I just loaded up some 220-grain Lymans and I also have a whole bunch of commercial cast bullets in 210 and 215-grain weights. One load I tried with the Lyman uses 7.5 grains of Unique and the other uses 5.0 of Bullseye. The Unique load shows promise but the Bullseye dissappears in the big case and the cases are coming out smoked, so not enough powder.

A now deceased friend and I landed on 10.5 of Accurate 7 and a 210 gr SWC. I seem to recall it shooting well in a 6" M57 but was erratic when I last tried it and I can't remember how we arrived there. I am unable to find it in any manual and it is below the starting charges listed by Accurate Arms.

Does anyone have a favorite light load?
    Last edited by Throwback; 06-06-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    8 grs. of Unique and any 210-230 gr. boolit. I am also presently experimenting with W540 (same as HS-6). Will let you know how that works out.

I have also used some trail boss loads but you need to stay on the upper end to prevent the smoked case syndrome.

Boolit Master
    7 grains of 800x --225 grain 410459 --
    7gr herco--unique same bullet

8 grains of Unique is a good load with a 210 cast bullet giving about 1000 fps. For a lighter load than that, the best I have used is 6.0 of 231. It has a muzzle velocity from my 6" M57 of about 870 fps, and with the RCBS 210 SWC sized .411, is the most accurate cast load I have shot in that gun. Sunday I tried it in my 10" Contender barrel and shot 34x40 in field pistol production class. Of course, the temperature was a balmy 25 degrees, and I was wearing two coats over two shirts, which steadies the aim somewhat. Many years ago I used an even lighter load of Red Dot that was so pleasant we shot it without ear protection. I probably wouldn't do that now.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by acemedic13; 03-08-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    6.7 gr 7625 (gray can/label) under a 410459 or equivalent, CCI Standard LP primer.

900-950 fps from a 4-6" bbl.

This is a "shoot it all day" load, and very accurate. 7625 fills the case better than Unique. The load listed comes to the base of the Keith bullet when seated to crimp in the groove. You may occasionally get some discoloration on the sides of the cases. This is a low-pressure load. On the plus side, the brass lasts for a long time.

I have not been satisfied with this (or any other load) using bevel-based commercial-cast boolits. With a flat-based home-cast boolit, it's hard to beat.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

8 grains of Unique with 210 gr cast gets my vote as well.
    It has always performed well for me in both .41's I have.

Unique at 1,000 fps with the 410459 sounds just ducky. AZ-Stew, I also have little regard for the bevel bases which is one reason I still have so many of those bullets. (I inherited them) I was hoping to find something down in the 800 fps range so that the BB bullets would not lead. That seems to be where the line is with them. The problem of course is low pressure in the big case. Possibly a heavier charge of Bullseye or Titegroup will do the trick. Once I find something I really like, I will share.

The .41 has no problems with high-end loads. The 410459 is a great shooting bullet regardless of velocity and the 170-grain Sierra is just a hoot - what a detonation when that goes off!

Thanks for the inputs.

I can't really comment on a mid range load for the 41 as I am useing loads in the upper ".41 Special" level but the loads I am seeing that give problems are with powders that neet to be throtled up a good bit. I think some filler or wads to up the loading density without boosting the weight a lot would improve things and give a better burn with low recoil.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Primer force is the culprit in the 41 mag. This case should have the small primer, not the Casull. They got it bass ackwards. Where is John? ... felix
    felix

Banned

4-6 grs of titegroup.

Boolit Buddy

favorite light loads in 41 Magnum

I had an old model short barrel blackhawk for about a decade and fed it a lot of 240 grain cast semi wadcutters loaded with Herco. ( Yes I like big boolits!) Start at 8 grains with cast boolit and work up from there. I started several kids shooting pistols with this load and never found a 8 year old that could not handle it.

Big Dale

Banned

another vote for 8 grains of unique or power pistol.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    8 grs of unique with any bullet from 210 grs and up.

12 grs of bluedot has worked rather well in my 4 5/8 Blackhawk over the years also.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

For the benefit of everyone interested in the .41 Magnum: Bluedot has been changed and it is VERY dangerous if you use old data.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I wish we had more evidence of that, Throwback. Larry is supposed to be playing some A-B comparisons with the old versus the new. If he lived around here I would provide a rifle for him should he not have one. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Alliant recently changed Blue Dot. It's a bit faster than it was.

Since most loading manuals and magazine articles completely ignore the pleasurable shooting available using mid-range loads in the .41 and typically only publish full-house Magnum loads, the previously published Blue Dot loads (magnum level) develop excessive pressures with the new formulation.

I just read an article concerning this, but I can't remember where. The article was written as an interview with an Alliant engineer. Point is, don't use the top-end Blue Dot loads that have been published prior to the change in the powder.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Bub

target loads in 41 Magnum

I have had a lot of luck with Green Dot 7.0 grs 210 to 220 swc. At 25 yads under way under 2 inch light recoil

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwback View Post
    For the benefit of everyone interested in the .41 Magnum: Bluedot has been changed and it is VERY dangerous if you use old data.
    That could very well be true. It could also be a bit over blown.
    At any rate I've still got a little better than 5 lbs of the stuff left from before the kids in the lab at Alliant got things all screwed up when they were testing bluedot.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Folks,

Below is a reply that a fellow on another forum received when he contacted Alliant directly. This may help clear things up a bit.

"Well, the main Alliant customer service guy is at Camp Perry shooting, but this morning I got a hold of a gentleman at Alliant who very graciously spent some time answering my questions. I feel much better about the situation.

I told him that I bought Blue Dot only for the .41 Mag. He asked what I was shooting, I told him my particular loading, and he told me, “That’s acceptable.” He told me that, as many of us had suspected, new tests showed that several of their previously published loads exceeded pressures they liked.

He told me that Alliant’s loadings run up to 98% of SAAMI pressures. New testing showed that some of the previously published .41 Magnum loadings exceeded that (though they were well under PROOF pressures). The gentleman mentioned what we’ve all heard before about there being new pressure-testing equipment and techniques, as well as different components introduced from time to time.

He told me that Alliant will be publishing new Blue Dot recipes for the .41 Magnum in the future, but that they wanted to get the news out right away that some of the loads were exceeding what they considered acceptable, and the blanket prohibition was their way of getting this done in a hurry."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast