WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cigarette rollers

Boolit Master

cigarette rollers

I have seen this mentioned several times and I would like to see a picture of what model you guys are using.

Are you using the small hand held or the table top with the handle and double rollers?

Just curious.

Boolit Master

This is like the one I use.
    http://www.ryotobacco.com/page/ryot/PROD/hroll/rayo70
    I get the type you find in convience stores.

Boolit Master

thanks docone1, this is what I that is what I thought some were using.

I have seen one used that sets on the table when I was kid. I have never been a smoker but love the smell of fresh tobacco before rolling or when stuffing a pipe.

anywho, When you do this do you put the boolit in and then feed the patch like when rolling the smoke?

Boolit Master

No.
    With a roller, I have found,
    Soak the patch. It all works best with the patch absolutely soaking.
    Lay the patch on the apron, about midway between the open rollers.
    Lay the casting on the patch. The tip of the patch should be where you want the patch to end in height.
    Close the roller, roll, then keep rolling. Remove the casting/patched boolitt. Twist the tail, let dry at least over night.
    The patch will come out almost dry from the squeegee effect of the rollers.
    You will have to determine the direction of the roll, which direction you want the patch to lay, and how high you want the patch to be.
    I found, if I hold the roller in both hands, with the opening roller away from me, then lay the tip so the base of the wrap is going to my right, it rolls well.
    You will have to find that one. I am a lefty, so I do it almost backwards.

Hmm, never considered using a machine to put a paper patch on! It might tear the paper, but on the other hand it just may be great!

Unfortunately I can't supply photos because I recently moved and I can't lay my hands on the cigarette rolling machines I have used over the years.

The machine I like the best is the Laredo, which uses pre-formed paper tubes and bulk-purchased filters. I make my own tubes by rolling up gummed Top/Bugler papers on a regular-sized pencil, and I get my filters by buying ultra-lite cigarettes and cutting the filters in half, smoking the store-bought smokes as well as my rolled ones.

One other machine I used to use is like the one in the photo at the link in the post above. About 35 years ago I gave it to an old cowboy who had a hard time rolling his own anymore because of arthritis.

The other machine I have used is a table-top model with a convex curved bed that backs up a rubberized canvas belt and a platen on a frame that follows the radius of the curved bed. When the platen frame is swung on its pivot it rolls a trough into the canvas belt that holds and roll-forms the tobacco into a compacted rod shape. Just before the frame is swung to the end of its travel a regular sheet of cigarette paper is inserted into the trough and the canvas belt rolls the paper around the outside of tobacco in the trough. The main problem with that machine is that it can roll a cigarette so tight it won't draw, so it takes a bit of experimentation to get it to work right. But once everything gets working just right it makes pretty good smokes fast.

I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but a thousand words is all I've got at the moment.

rl513
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Master

A paper cutter, is like shears. The cut edge is excellent.
    The machine you gave away is the one that I use that works. The table top one does not compress, and roll the paper. It only rolls it.
    When I use the hand held machine, I keep rolling once the patch is completely in the machine.
    I have been lucky this way. I never used a board. I got my primary sizes from here, and had a machine on hand. I tried it out, although backwards, wrapped base first, like Duh!, but they worked.
    I couldn't believe it.
    I had seen paper patched loads in a museum when I was about 9, or 10yrs old, and always wanted to shoot something that used them. I had no clue any rifle pretty much can use them.
    Once I found my size, I was good to go. In my .30s, .309 is my sweet spot with ALL of them.
    They perform better than jacketed, at least in grouping.
    It is the one you gave away.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt View Post
    Are you using the small hand held or the table top with the handle and double rollers?
    I heard that docone31 waits until all of his family members are sound asleep, then he creeps out of the house with a five gallon bucket of bullets and a ream of paper.

He sneaks into an old abandoned Winston production plant, and uses their equipment to wrap his bullets.

My source says it took several visits before he learned how to wrap paper on a bullet...without having one of those danged filters on the back end!
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Hey Charlie, my wife was looking over my shoulder!
    She is asking me some questions.
    I never thought I would get narced on this forum!!!
    Oiy!Oiy! Weeping and Gnashing of teeth.

In Remembrance
    Oops! Sorry, man.
    I'll be careful not to say anything about that cute security guard at the old Winston plant...and how you managed to convince her to let you sneak in.
    CM

Boolit Master

You mean Bambi?
    I thought no one knew.
    I hope Bubbles keeps quiet.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    You mean Bambi?
    I thought no one knew.
    I don't think she has said anything, but anyone can see those paper patched bullets in her cute little cartridge belt...and in that darling little Lady Smith they issued her.

If anybody ever asks where she got them, do you think she's gonna say Quigley gave 'em to her?
    I hope Bubbles keeps quiet.
    Bubbles won't say a word as long as you keep her in cheesburgers. But, I never quite understood why she insists on drinking diet soda...

Boolit Master

Nah man, she is the one who flattens empty beer cans with her hooter!
    Watching that is enough to melt the roughest caster alive!
    I mean, she whips them out and everyone gasps for air!
    She can't even hold a patched anyting with both hands at the same time!

Banned

tell me more about the filter on the base of the boolit thing.
    do they come in different lengths so i can seat them all the way on top of the powder?
    or do they only come short so i have to use a double filler?
    can i just use the filter and not the paper?
    questions ,questions....

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    tell me more about the filter on the base of the boolit thing.

questions ,questions....
    docone31 can show you which production line (in that old facility) is the one that puts filters on. From there, you are on your own.

But first you have to convince Bambi to let you in...and cross Bubbles' palm with a large order of fries to keep her quiet.

Boolit Master

Hey Charlie!
    Dubber can use some of your expertise. I am getting fairly proficient in the smaller calibers. He is prepareing a .50 double rifle.
    He is perhaps more in your league than I can advise. My approach might not be the best for his 50/90.

Boolit Master
    The cheap little topps roller would require a massive rebuild to roll a bullet that size. It works great on the 270 and 22 and 30 cal. I haven't tried the 8 mm yet but I don't think anything significantly larger would fit. Until I can find a larger model I will still be hand wrapping the larger slugs.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    Hey Charlie!
    Dubber can use some of your expertise.
    I have been reading along.

Boolit Master

rhead,
    I have been hopeing beyond hope, some machineist on this forum might just undertake to make a size for the over .32cal castings.
    Looking at the cheapies which I use, it might be a small matter of just opening the slotted hole for the roller.
    I cannot begin to tell you how tight that roller makes my patches!

Boolit Buddy
    Back when I was a youngster in Montana .and rollin' my own Durhams, I never thought of using a roller. Quit the habit years ago, now I want to get a rolling machine for those patch boolits! Never even gave a rolling machine a thought while twisting paper on those lead beauties, though it felt like I was rollin' a smoke.. Kinda nostalgic!

Best Regards,
    Bill
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

Boolit Master

Bill, many, many times I have tried to roll my own the real guy way.
    I never could! To this day, I cannot.
    I noticed, useing those cheapos, I could tighten up a cigarette to where it was impossible to drag on.
    Many years later, when I first started considering rolling boolitts, it popped into my head about those machines and how tight they wrapped if you dragged on the fixed roller!
    When it came time, my first patch was a winner. .0005 smaller than recquired, but a winner none the less.
    With the smaller boolitts, which I do, they are the Grail!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast