Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Tri-Ball Revisited!

I have been playing with this load again, in my Benelli M1. I tried various choke constrictions with chokes from Kick's Carlson's, etc., but was not really getting anywhere. I ordered up a Kick's Buck Kicker 0.680 choke (since that about perfectly matched the diameter of the payload, and although the wads look MUCH better than the other chokes, I still had one flier that never hit the target board. I decided to dig out all of my old factory chokes, and measured them up. The factory Full was 0.685, so I decided to test it. All 3 balls right near point of aim at 35 yards in a perfect 4" Triangle. It is amazing how much difference 0.005" makes! I'll be testing it more at 50 yards and beyond.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Grand Master

This is something I have to try... this and a two ball load for 2 3/4" hulls. That I did try and got okay results using CSD wads but as James stated for Tri-Ball loads the wad is critical. He found that the only wad that held up was the Precision Reloading Orange Wad TUPRWW123. Believe it! Maybe there are others but I'll get me some of those!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    I have been playing with this load again, in my Benelli M1. I tried various choke constrictions with chokes from Kick's Carlson's, etc., but was not really getting anywhere. I ordered up a Kick's Buck Kicker 0.680 choke (since that about perfectly matched the diameter of the payload, and although the wads look MUCH better than the other chokes, I still had one flier that never hit the target board. I decided to dig out all of my old factory chokes, and measured them up. The factory Full was 0.685, so I decided to test it. All 3 balls right near point of aim at 35 yards in a perfect 4" Triangle. It is amazing how much difference 0.005" makes! I'll be testing it more at 50 yards and beyond.
    IME the best performance from Tri-Ball comes from .685 chokes in the Benellis and .690 chokes in the Remington 870s.

The Triangle shaped pattern means you have the perfect amount of constriction...great job, now go take an animal with Tri-Ball to see first hand the power and the majesty.

Just my .02,
    LeonCarr

Boolit Buddy
    I am linking here to a thread that has some good infos on the Tri-Ball load:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...L-oad-Part-Two

Quote Originally Posted by LeonCarr View Post
    IME the best performance from Tri-Ball comes from .685 chokes in the Benellis and .690 chokes in the Remington 870s.

The Triangle shaped pattern means you have the perfect amount of constriction...great job, now go take an animal with Tri-Ball to see first hand the power and the majesty.

Just my .02,
    LeonCarr
    I'm going to load up the rest of what I have cast and heat treated, and head out for one more test. I have a 0.690 choke to test as well, and will compare it to the 0.685 Factory and a Buck Kicker X-Full. Probably won't get a chance to hunt with it this year though.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567