Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice or recommendation for 357 & 22LR lever action Rifles

Looking for advice or recommendation for 357 & 22LR lever action Rifles

25 years ago I had a Marlin 357 lever action and foolishly I sold it, about 6 years ago I bought a Ruger 77/357 and didn't like it so I sold it to a member on here. I have that itch for a lever 357 again. Question is what brand??? Older Marlin, Henry, Rossi are what I am looking at. If there are any pro's or cons or other brands feel free to speak up. I also had a Winchester 94/22 I sold 25 years ago and regret that too. So I am leaning toward Henry so I can get a 357 and a 22 of similar handling features, However I want to hear from current and previous owners on the subject. Thank you

Either Marlin or Henry would be a hard choice for me.

I've had a Marlin #39 .22 in both carbine and rifle, and have a Henry Golden Boy .22.
    If I was in the market for one--- I'd probably get the Henry.
    Since they both cycle shorts, Long & LR, and I shoot a lot of CCI-CB shorts, it'd be a tough decision.

I've got a Marlin .357 in the carbine, and had a 'CB' model for awhile.
    To do it over, If I couldn't find a older long barrel Marlin CB, I'd get the Henry.
    Not sure why, but I just like octagon barrels.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 07-09-2024 at 01:14 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Mold
    I am a sucker for older Marlins. I have 1894s in .32H&R, .357, and .41 Mag. I also have a Henry in .357. The Henry is nice, but I would look for a Marlin first. I wouldn't be afraid to look at one of the new Ruger made Marlins. That said, I prefer my Marlins tapped on the side for a receiver peep sight. Skinners are an option for any of them.

My next lever action will likely be a Cimarron/Uberti 1873, just because.

I have 39As in bth rifle and Mountie configurations. I prefer the rifle.

I've always been intrigued by the 9422, but it would be a hard sell over my 39A.

Boolit Mold
    Another vote for Henry .22 rifles. Mine is the octagon barrel version with black-finished receiver. It will not feed .22 shorts (stovepipes them) however it is a tack driver with almost any brand of standard velocity .22 long rifle ammunition. And the action was butter smooth right out of the box.

I have an older Puma Rossi 357 in SS with the 24" octagon barrel and I love the thing,
    lately I've been thinking about adding one of the Ruger/Marlin 357's to the herd.
    I have one of the little H001 Henry 22's and it's a nice shooter.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

I would not hesitate on any of those brands. Really depends on what action you want for the .357. 92 action or the 94 style action. 92 cycles out the top so if you ever want to scope your rifle the the Henry or Marlin are the way to go. Henry and the Ruger Marlin are very good rifles. The Rossi 92's are the style action I prefer so I have a few Winchester's and a few Rossi style in that action. Really depends on what you are looking for ? I have all action styles so they are different in their shooting but I also do not scope my lever rifles.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Master

You can't go wrong no matter which one you go with.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

There’s a review of the new Winchester Ranger .22 lever action in the newest Shooting Times magazine.
    It is made in Turkey and looks and shoots very well according to the article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    In regard to 357/38: I ruled out the Rossi because of its 1 in 30 twist rate. I ruled out the Henry because of its weight.
    I love my Marlin 336, but a Marlin 1894 in 357 wasn’t available when I bought my 357/38 so I bought a Winchester 1892 made by Miroku. I love it. I think it is better made than any of my other Winchesters .
    If you can get a Marlin/Ruger and want to mount a scope, that would be a good choice. I would choose a Miroku/Winchester over a Henry or a Rossi.
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Boolit Bub

The Marlin in 357 sure feels nicer and is lighter than the Henry.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Disabled Army veteran

Boolit Buddy

If you decide to go with an older Marlin, I have a JM stamped Marlin 357 with 18-1/2" barrel that I don't shoot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shtur View Post
    If you decide to go with an older Marlin, I have a JM stamped Marlin 357 with 18-1/2" barrel that I don't shoot.
    Every now and then you read a post that you know is going to start a ruckus.

I’ll go against most, I prefer a straight stock and a lighter barrel. I’ve got a Marlin 1894 cowboy action super-de-duppidy somethin with an octagon barrel and to me it’s too front heavy.

I replied to this one earlier but must not have hit the post button.

I've the Henry's in 357 and 44, the original version without the loading gate. Great rifles but far too heavy for the cartridges. They do shoot well, run very smoothly, and Henry will fix anything that is wrong. Mine don't get shot much.

One Browning-Miroku 44 Mag my Dad bought me when I was a kid, but it's too pretty and nice to mess with.

The Rossi's are perfect for me. Not too pretty/valuable to touch and I've done the Steve's Gunz mods to all of them, gotten rid of the safeties and replaced with one of his sights or a plug. My favorite is a 16 inch 357 wearing a Trijicon RMR on a NOE scout scope base. Light, handy and sitting by my bed right now. Somebody makes a scope base that sits lower than the NOE; I've found it a few times and need to again because the NOE puts the sight a little high for a good cheek weld. Don't worry about the Rossi barrel twist; mine shoot okay with the 38-180 WGN and great with several other slightly lighter designs. Mine are plenty accurate with the big boolit at 357 deer ranges, and the rifles will outshoot me from any position since they don't have loop slings on them. These aren't target rifles but very much fun rifles.

You can't go wrong with either, but Rossi for me, for now. I am interested in the new Ruger/Marlin 1894 and the S&W 1854.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy

IMO and experience, the Browning BL-22 is the .22LR levergun to get. It feeds ultra-reliably, has an extremely short lever throw, and that coupled with a trigger that drops with the lever makes for incredibly fast shooting. The trigger loop is completely closed like the finger lever behind it, so you don't have to worry about pinching your trigger finger when closing the lever. Super-slick. I don't own a Henry 22 lever but I've shot several and I find them clunky by comparison to the Browning.

I have BL-22s in 20" and 16+" and one or the other always goes to the range. It's been more than a decade since I've fired my Marlin 39A rifle and 39M Mountie carbine.

Regarding the 357, either a Uberti, Chiappa, or Cimarron 1892 Winchester clone is sweet handling. Light, smooth, and fast. I've owned Rossi 92s and some have been fine yet others have needed a lower force ejector spring installed to reliably feed; they have been a dice throw. If you find a used Rossi and can test drive it and it feeds reliably and is accurate, go for it. But for a NIB 92 clone, go Italian.

Runner up in the 357 would be an 1873 clone. They are heavier than a 92, but just as slick in their own way. I have a 24" Uberti '73 that's really sweet, but the 357 lever that goes to the range the most often is my 20" Cimarron 92.

Noah

Noah nailed it on the .22 lever gun; I ignored that part.
    My BL-22 was a Grade II and I wish I had all the ammo that rifle fired when I was a kid - I'd never need to buy 22 ammo again. I said "was" because my sons and grandson have it now.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    BL-22 + 1. Accurate, well built and fun. I'd say its the best current production .22 lever action out there.

Boolit Master

Take a look at the Henry All Weather or the X model.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Just to put my .02 in on the BL-22, I have bid on several of them at local auctions and they all went close to new prices. I am a big lever fan, My dad was left handed so levers and pumps made sense for us both to use. I currently have 2 Browning BLR Belgium 308's mine and his, Marlin 336 3030 from 1994 (first deer rifle) and a 1915 Winchester 94 3030. Looking to add 357 and 22lr and a Winchester 94 3030 Buffalo Bill to the stable.

Boolit Buddy
    No opinion on the 22, but I've had both the rossi and the henry. Two thoughts. The henry (and marlin) are easier to break down to clean assuming you want to do it from the breach of the rifle. Also the henrt/marlin are easier to scope if you want to do so.
    Siamese4570 ⁸

Boolit Master

I bought a Henry .22 carbine and love it. I know it's not a Marlin but it works and works well. Fifty yd 10 shot groups with std vel ammo run 3/4". Neat little gun, very reasonably priced. My $.02
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle