Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Springfield Mil-Spec 1911

Boolit Master

Springfield Mil-Spec 1911

I won one in .45 at an auction and wondered if anyone else has this model.

I've owned a bunch of 1911's since the 70's so I'm no stranger to the platform - this is my first Springfield. A friend of mine has a Range Officer and it is a tack driver with anything we feed it.

This Mil-Spec appears to have nice sights and maybe even a barrel bushing upgrade but won't know 'till I shoot it. I was going to try a Tisas but this one came up locally for the right price.

TIA, HW

Boolit Bub

I bought Ronin model in 9mm. It shot terrible...like 6" at 10 yards. Springfield replaced the barrel and it shoots much better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Disabled Army veteran

Boolit Master

Good workhorse guns from a good company if you ever need their backing. Historically, the build quality of the Mil-Spec line has been pretty good. The one departure from original mechanical specs is that Springfield uses the narrower firing pin and corresponding channel of the .38 Super / 9mm for all their models.

The stainless barrel bushings are stock on most of their guns. I would check the attachment of the plunger tube (look for a hairline gap between the tube and frame). They seemed to have an issue on that for a spell.

If you're wanting a true GI clone that would pass for authentic in a WWII movie, I was extremely impressed by the Tisas that was brought to me for inspection. Assuming the metallurgy is there, they did not screw around with the fit and finish. At the $300 that was spent for it, I dove deep looking for faults, and came away saying "Well. . .hot damn! Let's go invade Normandy"
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I've only seen them in photos but if I were to buy a new 1911 now, that is the exact model I would want. They made subtle changes from the authentic Mil Spec guns but they made changes that make sense such as better sights. I would love to have one.

I own one and have had it for several years. I had a gunsmith put a beavertail grip safety and a different trigger in it. A set of g10 grip panels for better control. Otherwise, no changes.
    Mine is a perfectly functioning and quite accurate specimen. Not that I shoot it that well. I had a man at our club who is a very fine shot spend a couple of magazines with it and he fired excellent groups.
    I really like the sights. Much easier to see and use than military style. These are one of the main reasons I chose this one.
    I have had no issues feeding any bullet or boolit style through it. Several different 200 grain target boolits, 185 grain hollow points, and of course, the 230 grain round nose all go through it flawlessly.
    Mine doesn't care what magazines you use in it. Standard military style, generic, cheap semiwadcutter style, or high end Wilson mags all work perfectly.
    The trigger on mine breaks at 3.5 lbs. For me, that is perfect.
    I have owned several other 1911 pistols over the years and I like this one the best for my 45ACP uses.

I do have a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm that I also like. It is a bit finicky about boolit diameter and nose shape. Fed what it likes, it shoots really well.

Boolit Master
    I am not really a 1911 fan but always wanted a good one to play with. I bought the mil-spec 45 in stainless maybe 10 years ago. I had a local gunsmith to clean up the trigger as it was not great. It did lead up in the throat and boolits needed to be seated deep so I had Doug solve that problem. It has been reliable when the ammo is right and shoots better than I can.

I don't have large hands and thumbs don't work like they use to so I have to shift the pistol in my hand when I use the safety. Might look into what would help but it's mostly a range toy.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the responses. I should be able to pick it up this weekend - hopefully, I can get an opportunity to shoot and report back on performance.

Boolit Master
    I picked up the piece this morning and put ten rounds through it this afternoon. Shoots just a hair to the left but basically a 2-3” group at 20 steps. This was offhand and I wasn’t wearing my eye cheaters, so plenty good enough for me. Good crisp trigger and great sights, and I really like the matte finish. All in all, a keeper…

I've had one for almost 20 years. It was a gift from Holiday Inn. Back in the day, I travel on business about two hundred days a year and Holiday Inn had a reward program that you could get Cabela's gift cards through. Thanks Holiday Inn.

It has had multiple thousands of rounds and it has done nothing but go bang. Not bad for a pseudo American firearm. Stamped in deep, deep letters on the frame is "Genesco Ill". In almost undetectable pin stamping on the underside of the front of the frame is "made in Brazil".

That said it has been extremely reliable. Mine has the early sights that make the pistol shoot very low. My understanding is the later version have better sights.

Excellent pistol. Very good quality frame and slide. I'm a bullseye shooter and we shoot many, many rounds each and every year. Many of us have used the Mil-Spec as a basis for our competition pistols using bullseye specific gunsmiths to add a kart barrel and bushing, a trigger job, and tightening the frame to slide fit. Obviously, there are other manufacturer's pistols that are not of good enough quality to go down this road.
    Phil

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 22cf45 View Post
    Excellent pistol. Very good quality frame and slide. I'm a bullseye shooter and we shoot many, many rounds each and every year. Many of us have used the Mil-Spec as a basis for our competition pistols using bullseye specific gunsmiths to add a kart barrel and bushing, a trigger job, and tightening the frame to slide fit. Obviously, there are other manufacturer's pistols that are not of good enough quality to go down this road.
    Phil
    Good to know. I have only put a few clips through it but I'm happy so far. My first 1911 was the best one I have owned - it was a Series 70 Colt with the spring collet bushing. The previous owner had it satin chromed and that piece would shoot any ammo dependably and accurately. I stupidly traded it off, thinking I could get another one just like it in the future. The rest just have never measured up to the first so I hope this Springfield stays with me for a long time.