Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pros and cons of metal driveway awnings.

Boolit Master
    I wish that we would have gotten a car port shaped like a arch.The one we have has to many right angles and nook and crannies for bird nest,and yellow jacket nest.

Moderator Emeritus

Forgot to mention that we had one on our Florida property. Worked great for the few years we used it. It was there when we bought the place so no idea on how long they last.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mom and my Stepdad had one that was supposed to fit two cars. It would if they were parked carefully, but you couldn't open doors on both sides of the vehicles parked under it.

The best thing about them is they keep the frost off all the windows.

Boolit Grand Master

The old quansit huts with out the ends would make what you want. but dont think they are available anymore, used to be able to buy them mil surplus. But 1 or 2 1/2 sections of a grain bin may work also.

Boolit Master

Quonset hut style steel buildings are readily available from numerous sources. They can be had with a variety arch styles and pitches. One of the neighbors has one he configured for Automotive Work shop/business office/living quarters - he then disposed of the 1950's single wide trailer he had initially lived in. Installation is possible with one person, a tractor with front end loader or lift device, and large ladder & or scaffolding. Better to have 2 people, and even better with 3. Sections are bolted together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arch-style-gallery-4.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	328454 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arch-style-gallery-13.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	328455

End closures are almost locally designed and fabricated by owner or contractors. Several up here are "Higher End" and used for businesses.

Sample company selling them: https://www.torosteelbuildings.com/o...rch-buildings/
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

my RV carport just took a hurricane no trouble with the wind, use the anchor system it cost a little more but worth the piece of mind
    only thing i worry about is trees falling around or on it. now i can't say anything about the snow load because it's only snowed once in 25 years here...You will need to guard against putting to much junk under it or at least that is what my wife says lol she's right!!!!!!
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master

DAd always told us build a new building as big as you can afford. Not how big you think you need. In 10 years it will be to small.

Before you start ask your insurance folks if they will cover a free standing awning style parking cover. Many companies do not insure free standing awnings or carport style covers or pool covers.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    I been mulling this over for a couple years. I'm so tired of getting in my vehicle in the summer when the inside is 120° +/-. And this is with the windows down about half way, and cardboard covers to protect the dash and seats from direct sunlight. And in the winter, the whole vehicle is covered with thick ice or snow. So I ask, is there any big down side to putting a metal awning cover over my parking area in the driveway. We don't get that much wind in my area, thank God. Any thoughts?
    Been drooling over the one my next-door neighbor has for nearly 28 years. And we're in Tornado Alley. Unfortunately, my town is no longer approving building permits for them. Also, my driveway is too narrow for a two-car...