RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingMCD ProductsInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flux and smoke. What do you use?

Boolit Master

I flux when I'm making ingots so I have clean lead to start with. Once casting pot is full and melted I put some Kitty litter on top of the melt to keep the oxides from forming. At the end of the session I scoop off the litter and dispose of it.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies. Aristotle

Boolit Master
    I have a log of beeswax, beef tallow, mystery boolit lubes, and sawdust all mixed together. I melted it and poured it into a silicone soap mold. Now I have this brick of fluxing material and I just slice off a piece when I need it, or dip my wooden fluxing stick into the wax. Must be the soap in the lube keeps the tallow from going rancid. I’ve thought about mixing charcoal into the molten mix, but dipping the fluxing sticks into the brick o’ flux adds carbon naturally.
    Fire keeps the smoke down. Set the flux ablaze!

Boolit Master

Although I try to only use very clean ingots sometimes I have some that I didn't make myself and they require fluxing in the pot. Sawdust is all I normally use to clean particulates out of the lead. Wax or bullet lube if I feel a need to recombine metals. When I built my new shop I incorporated a vent through the roof and connected a bathroom ventilation fan to it. I looked for one with a very low Sones level so it wouldn't be annoying.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris