Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: New mold prep ?

Boolit Bub

New mold prep ?

I think I finally have accumulated all the things I need for my first effort at casting. My 2 current molds are NOE aluminum (430-240 WFN) and MP Brass (454-423). I have read up on mold prep, I am aware of cleaning and degreasing with Dawn. My plan was to heat cycle both molds in the oven at 350 degrees, let cool, heat, for 3 cycles. Is this sound ?

fwiw; have some sawdust, i used it to draw out the junk from the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5X284ever View Post
    I think I finally have accumulated all the things I need for my first effort at casting. My 2 current molds are NOE aluminum (430-240 WFN) and MP Brass (454-423). I have read up on mold prep, I am aware of cleaning and degreasing with Dawn. My plan was to heat cycle both molds in the oven at 350 degrees, let cool, heat, for 3 cycles. Is this sound ?
    That sounds about right, put in a good effort to clean it before you start with the heat cycles, I normally first clean it with denatured alcohol a few times, then wash/scrub it with our version of your Dawn liquid soap, also at least twice, then the heat cycles, not so much for the aluminum molds, but for the brass ones, at least 5 times until they have a nice patina.
    Enjoy the new casting experience, and do not hesitate to ask for some help here once you have started and run into some problems.
    If you have enough heat in the molds, especially the aluminum ones, and you can maintain a good cadence to stay in the sweet spot, all should be fine.
    Just remember that not all molds will cast perfect boolits the first time, keep going and soon you will have perfect slightly frosted boolits!

Boolit Buddy

My plan was to heat cycle both molds in the oven at 350 degrees, let cool, heat, for 3 cycles. Is this sound ?
    For the NOE, yes, there's a piece of paper with that exact same info in the box with the mould (all of mine had them). Can't say if that is correct process for the MP mould.

Link to MP seasoning advice - https://www.mp-molds.com/tipstricks/...-point-moulds/
    Last edited by PhilC; 07-05-2024 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Edit to add link

Boolit Grand Master

Follow the MP procedure you have. then heat cycle them. Another is to run shorter casting sessions to start them out and build the "patinna" faster. Even cleaning and heat cycling you may see need a short break in period, hence the shorter sessions.

When done with the heat cycling and cooled out very lightly lube the sprue plate and pins with 2 cycle oil along with the hinge and mount bolts on the handles. a light coat with a q-tip then wipe off excess with the dry end.

Boolit Grand Master

For the NOE aluminum mould ... follow the directions that are included with each .
    If lost ... www.noebulletmoulds.com and get the info off their site .
    You may have to join the NOE Forum ... but that's a good thing .
    Lots of great information there .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

That is what the instructions that come with NOE molds say cycle 3-4 times. Just make sure the temp doesn’t get over 600f.

Moderator Emeritus

That is sound in my book.
    Good Luck
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I just wash mine in soap and water, place on a heat source, to rid water.

Boolit Master
    Check for burrs along the parting lines. Use a leather strap to slowly break them off, without dulling the edges. NOE, RCBS, Saeco, and Lyman have all given me molds with burrs that cause problems in casting. My MP mold was burr-free, IIRC.
    I also like to take a grind stone to the edges where the mold handles ride, just to smoothen everything out. This is more meaningful on new iron molds than aluminum or brass. I also very lightly deburr my sprue plates.
    Maybe I have an irrational hatred of burrs? I’ve even deburred the handles.

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Check for burrs along the parting lines. Use a leather strap to slowly break them off, without dulling the edges. NOE, RCBS, Saeco, and Lyman have all given me molds with burrs that cause problems in casting. My MP mold was burr-free, IIRC.
    I also like to take a grind stone to the edges where the mold handles ride, just to smoothen everything out. This is more meaningful on new iron molds than aluminum or brass. I also very lightly deburr my sprue plates.
    Maybe I have an irrational hatred of burrs? I’ve even deburred the handles.
    Just got in a noe mold yesterday. Getting ready for its seasoning.
    Not a hint of a burr.

Boolit Master
    Hopefully the OP has the same fortune as you. Regardless, checking for burrs and clearing them out before your first casting session saves a lot of headache. Burrs make boolits stick to cavities; and on brass molds, burrs initiate tinning.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Hopefully the OP has the same fortune as you. Regardless, checking for burrs and clearing them out before your first casting session saves a lot of headache. Burrs make boolits stick to cavities; and on brass molds, burrs initiate tinning.
    The NOE WFN has some burrs by the nose, rubbing with leather sounds like a good method to remove them. Thanks
    Also, my NOE appears to be un-vented. Is that normal or going to be an issue ? It's the copy of the LBT WFN.

Boolit Master
    I would call NOE and ask about the lack of venting.