WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Labradar LX

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    . With the formula from Hatcher’s Notebook you can determine the ballistic coefficient of your cast bullets at various speeds using those data points. Ballistic coefficient does change with velocity
    How would you do that with the Garmin?

Boolit Master
    Depends on what the Garmin stores for you.

Labradar has individual bullet track data, from muzzle out to about 100yd (depending on when it loses radar return). It gives the time of each data point, distance from the device and velocity at each point.

You can use the vel difference over a specific distance to determine BC. Using several different shots you can get an average, but, in my experience it is is very small difference between shots.

If the Garmin gives you that kind of data on each shot then you can do the same.

FWIW I don't do that calculation until I have the data in my computer at home. The calculated BC is then input into my ballistics program calculator so I get better trajectory info next time I go out.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Depends on what the Garmin stores for you.

Labradar has individual bullet track data, from muzzle out to about 100yd (depending on when it loses radar return). It gives the time of each data point, distance from the device and velocity at each point.

You can use the vel difference over a specific distance to determine BC. Using several different shots you can get an average, but, in my experience it is is very small difference between shots.

If the Garmin gives you that kind of data on each shot then you can do the same.

FWIW I don't do that calculation until I have the data in my computer at home. The calculated BC is then input into my ballistics program calculator so I get better trajectory info next time I go out.
    Does Labradar LX measure all the way up to 100 yds? I got different impression from one shot show video interviewing one Labradar representative, but it can be false of course, it stated that measuring range is somewhere up to few tens of yards.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finn45 View Post
    Does Labradar LX measure all the way up to 100 yds? I got different impression from one shot show video interviewing one Labradar representative, but it can be false of course, it stated that measuring range is somewhere up to few tens of yards.
    So far, haven't tried mine with anything smaller than .30 cal but, with a 'clean' background (no steel targets or target frames to reflect a false image), I can consistently get readings for 10, 50, and 100 yards. Actually, LabRadar allows settings for up to 5 distances but our club's 200-yard berm is so cluttered up with steel gongs and silhouettes that I haven't bothered going past 100.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    So far, haven't tried mine with anything smaller than .30 cal but, with a 'clean' background (no steel targets or target frames to reflect a false image), I can consistently get readings for 10, 50, and 100 yards. Actually, LabRadar allows settings for up to 5 distances but our club's 200-yard berm is so cluttered up with steel gongs and silhouettes that I haven't bothered going past 100.

Bill
    Is that with the original or the new LX?

https://mylabradar.com/product/labradar-lx/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn45 View Post
    Mine is the original and it will not reliably go to 100yd with track data. 50yd is consistently good. 75yd is mostly good. I don't know about the new one since it is a smaller sensor footprint, but, due to different frequencies used it will be different performance. I shoot 6, 6.5 and 7.62mm bullets.

The range makes little difference for me. If I want to know what the vel is I verify the BC with the radar data and then use a ballistics program for long range vel determination. So far it has been very accurate.

The key to accuracy is the background. Metal objects will reflect radar energy and mess up the reading. A few don't matter, but, if you have a range with a lot of plates and such it might be a problem. Other people on the firing line can mess things up as well. Especially the ones with muzzle brakes/blast deflectors. They can trigger the unit and give you a false data point. If you shoot at a crowded range it can be frustrating.

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    I have the new Garmin unit and love it.
    The new Lab Radar unit may be bringing more to the table, be nice to know what it is.
    Competition is good.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Is that with the original or the new LX?

https://mylabradar.com/product/labradar-lx/
    Mine is an 'original' and, quite frankly, I haven't seen anything...written or online...that tells me that either the Garmin Xero or Labradar LX provide any more accurate or consistent information. Yeah, they're both smaller and use phone aps for control and data storage but then I'm not that much of a 'phone geek', either.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 07-11-2024 at 10:13 AM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

As long as it is properly aligned (with a carpenter's square), the "big" LABRADAR will easily record out to 100 yds plus.
    I'll run my big old LAB unit against my ityy-bitty newer Garmin side by side this evening.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are holding out for a Labradar for the few times you want to know the BC of a bullet there is another way to calculate it. Zero the rifle at 50 yards. Then shoot it at 100 or 200 yards and measure the drop. Then find a ballistics calculator, enter the velocity, and play around with entering the BC till the drop / trajectory matches what you measured.

I am not sure if this number will be more or less accurate than the Labradar but it will be close enough.

Boolit Master
    I've done both and the vel drop over a precise distance is more accurate for BC, simply because POI is dependent on other factors that impact the calculation.

Boolit Master
    Just to be 'complete' here, the original Labradar can be controlled with a phone as well. But...the android phones can have issues maintaining the Bluetooth connection. Apple products seem to work reliably with it. I don't use either, but, if phone compatibility is important to you then take the info for what it's worth (2 cents ).