RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting Mold Storage

Boolit Mold

Casting Mold Storage

How do you guys store your casting molds?

Molds with no handles I put back in their respected boxes.

Looking for ideas for storing molds that have handles.

Boolit Master
    I keep everything in an old wooden ammo box, and store them inside a bedroom closet, where the temp and humidity stay fairly constant.

Boolit Master
    I put them on a the shelves above my bullets. Mostly without handles and bunched up together by how many cavities they have

Boolit Mold
    That's what I do as well. I've got a few ammo cans that I store them.

Boolit Master
    I have a "casting season". In the summer when it can and does get above 100 degrees I just don't cast (unless it's important). I generally do my casting in the Fall and winter, and also the early spring. When the temperature starts to get too hot I put the molds in storage. It doesn't matter if the factory box that the mold came in is cardboard or plastic, I brush the whole mold inside and out with 2 stroke oil and put them in their boxes. I store my molds and batches of cast bullets in a cabinet out in the garage. Later, when casting time comes around I'll thoroughly clean and de-grease the mold before use, and keep it clean until the next time that it goes into storage. I have a lot of molds, so some of them might be in storage for two or three years before they're used again. It's much less of a hassle to clean oil off a set of molds than it is rust. Some of those molds I have been using for over 40 years and they still look almost new.

After my casting season, which is in summer, I put them in a air tight metal ammo box that I got from a friend that was in the army. I also put some silica desiccant bags in the box, which I revive from time to time in the microwave oven when my wife is out doing shopping.

I keep all my molds in a couple drawers in the shop in the garage. I put a desic pack in the drawer & recharge it every year. Iron molds get oiled, alum just the spru plate.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    i keep my molds in a 50 cal. ammo can wrapped in vpi paper. no oil or grease. just vpi paper. i have molds that have not been used in over 30 years and they are still perfect....

Boolit Master
    If they are aluminum, not much is required. I have a bunch of custom aluminum fishing jig molds for my business from 40+ years ago in my barn never used and they are good as new. For iron boolit molds, I just wipe down the outside with light oil and into a bag they go. If I use them more than 3x a year, they just stay out on the shelf.

Boolit Grand Master

I spray mine with oil, wrap them in a shop rag and store them in a large MTM or Plano Dry Box. This box stays in my loading room that is temperature controlled.

This might be considered sacrilegious, but I spray my moulds with WD40 and wrap the mould in a plastic shopping bag. I tape the bag closed at the end of the mould, mark it, and leave the handles exposed. Cleaning time I use brake cleaner and wipe them thoroughly. I use a QTip on the cavities to make sure.
    They are stored in a barn (converted horse stall - watertight but not heated) with no temp or humidity controls. I have had some untouched for two or three years and never had an issue.
    I typically cast and reload in the fall/winter/spring.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Was lucky enough to work in a truck shop. Re[laced a lot of clutches. Each clutch came with 2 pieces of VPI paper about 15 x 15. Wrap the molds and store in a tote or ammo can for molds not used often GW

Boolit Grand Master

Large Plastic Tool Boxes . Some moulds have handles that stay attached ... the most often used moulds ... and the rest in the factory box it was bought / shipped in .
    Medium/Large Tool boxes are sturdy and well built .
    I have one for moulds with handles attached , my using moulds ...
    and another that contains mould blocks without handles ... my special occasion moulds that I need to get handles for ...
    one day !
    Tool boxes used to be economical !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I live in the desert. I just remove the handles and store them in an ammo box (the plastic kind). I have 3 or 4 I use a lot so they stay in my casting 'drawer'.

Boolit Mold
    "i keep my molds in a 50 cal. ammo can wrapped in vpi paper. no oil or grease. just vpi paper. i have molds that have not been used in over 30 years and they are still perfect...."
    This is what I do also. I have H&G molds going back to the bicycle shop still in excellent condition. My father-in-law used for 40 years and I have had them for another 40 or 50.

Back in the late 80s I had a RCBS mold rust and ruin.
    I thought to myself, 'I'll fix that'.
    Since then, the molds I don't use much get put back in their plastic box and it's filled up with motor oil.
    The ones with handles get hosed off every so often with motor cycle chain oil.

You think WD-40 leaves a gooey residue? Ya ain't seen nothing yet that compares to chain oil.
    That stuff sticks like poop on a baby blanket.

A quick rinse in gasoline, a few squirts of carberator cleaner, and they're ready to go back to work.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Nothing rusts if left inside where I live. I keep them in drawers where I cast.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I live in the desert. I just remove the handles and store them in an ammo box (the plastic kind). I have 3 or 4 I use a lot so they stay in my casting 'drawer'.
    I live in the desert as well. One benefit for sure is not having to deal with rust.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple MTM dry boxes that I store molds in with desiccant and VCI paper. I have very few without handles.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    This might be considered sacrilegious, but I spray my moulds with WD40 and wrap the mould in a plastic shopping bag. I tape the bag closed at the end of the mould, mark it, and leave the handles exposed. Cleaning time I use brake cleaner and wipe them thoroughly. I use a QTip on the cavities to make sure.
    They are stored in a barn (converted horse stall - watertight but not heated) with no temp or humidity controls. I have had some untouched for two or three years and never had an issue.
    I typically cast and reload in the fall/winter/spring.
    Exactly what I do, I concur.