MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: My new old SKB 200E

Boolit Master

My new old SKB 200E

I've had a 20 gauge Ithaca SKB Model 100 SxS for over 20 years. Just the base plain jane extractor model. I specifically sought out a 28 inch gun, since I knew they were very light, and I figured the longer barrels might smooth her out. I was right! That meant the original chokes were M & F, but I had them opened to .003 and .009, which is like a loose skeet and a slightly tight IC. It is a nimble, dynamic bird killing machine, both in the woods and on the skeet field. I have named it "The Death Stick."

I've long desired a 12 gauge big brother, but they are not so easy to find. And when you do they tend to be pricey. A local shooting grounds had one in their gun shop for at least two years now, but I always thought it was priced a little high for the condition. The last time I was down there I threw a lowball offer, but I knew it was too low, the owner countered but I still hesitated, so it stayed yet again. Well, I finally decided my internet searches weren't producing anything at a price I wanted to pay, I went back to see if the counter offer was still good. Lo and behold, the price had been dropped to that counter offer, so I struck. I was now the proud owner of a 12 gauge Model 200E that was sound, but needed a little love. As a bonus, I had always thought it too was a 28 inch gun, but the last time I handled it I realized something was different; this was a 30 inch gun! So much the better. I knew they were cataloged, but I have NEVER actually seen one live until this one.

So as to the love it needed, the silver plating was VERY tarnished

Thanks to several forum members on Shotgun World, I managed to get her cleaned up with Never Dull. It's still a work in progress, but it is so much cleaner it's not funny.

The worst thing was that apparently the previous owner was a gorilla, and he did this fine job on a butt spacer and recoil pad. Bubba is alive and well apparently

I'm all for making a gun fit, but I seriously think he used a horse hoof rasp to fit that! I added a new butt plate and 1/4 inch spacer. In keeping with the field gun intentions, I'm saving weight by not adding a recoil pad.

While not a problem, I just prefer a splinter to a beavertail. Thanks to Numrich and SKB, I obtained the necessary parts. The splinter forends were meant for the extractor guns (at least in the US; I have seen YouTube videos from England and the ejector guns have this same splinter) so wood had to be removed to inlet for the various springs, hammers, etc. that power the ejectors. Here are a few pictures.

One interesting thing is that the iron on an extractor gun is held in with two wood screws from the inside, while the ejector guns use a machine screw/escutcheon. I suppose more forces are exerted and that "sandwich" is stronger?? The price of an original screw and escutcheon was RIDICULOUS and I didn't want to cannibalize the beavertail, so I used a chrome plated engraved leather working screw rivet. Boy punching out thru the checkering and then counter sinking that was exciting! The third forend (far left) is off of the Death stick, just for comparison.

I also needed to fabricate the screw that held the push rod tube in place. It was metric, so I used a socket head cap screw, my drill press, files, and finally a screw slot file and Viola! (That was intentional, I'm a retired music teacher.)

Finally, I had Mike Orlen open this one up to SKT/Mod. I really would have liked screw ins just because of the versatility a 12 gauge provides, but he felt the dimensions of the barrels were just on the edge, too close to recommend. Honestly, this combination will do 99% of what I want to do.

So here it is now

I think it turned out pretty darned good. I did manage to run a straight with it at skeet, have hit several 23s. Have taken it along as a second gun at sporting, hit most of what I've tried with it. I'll likely live with it for a while now, then I'll eventually refinish the wood to try for a better match between stock and new forend. I'm thinking this gun is screaming "oil finish me please!' anyhow.

I hope you've enjoyed this rather long post.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the same one except mine has the thicker beavertail forearm. I would prefer a splinter forearm on mine.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

M-Tecs,

The ejector guns marketed in the US had the beavertail. I thought I was being clever in fitting a model 100/150 splinter, but then I saw two YouTube videos for UK shotgun sites (TGS and Eastfield Gun Room) that reviewed SKB 200s from the 70s, and they both have my EXACT splinter, so I guess the guns marketed for Europe had splinters. Even my screw fastener is exactly like the European ones, both videos featured a good shot of the forend up close.

No matter, I got mine just the way I want it! Does your gun have 30 inch barrels too?

Boolit Master
    Congrats…you did well. I’ve always loved that gun but bought the Brownings instead. The 12 was too heavy but I kept the nimble 20. I had an SKB 100 but due to the deficiencies in the IC/M 25” that you note, I foolishly let it go.

Never saw a 30” model.

I’ve been tied up but lets get together again for sporting or skeet

Boolit Master

I agree, the BSS were absolute quality guns, but heavy for the gauge. The SKBs were wands. My 20 is like 5lb 15 oz, I think this 12 is now either just 7 lbs. or maybe 6 lbs 15??

Definitely need to get together, hopefully this tropical weather will break soon!

Boolit Master
    These guns make most of our USA stuff look sick. I sure admire and kinda envy what you got!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

That’s nice work Patrick!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    The Cowboy competitors use many of these. That's one reason they're scarce and pricey. We have the safety disabled and the ejectors removed. The barrel is cut off and the chambers heavily honed so the spent hulls just float away. The mating surfaces of the barrel and the receiver are honed and polished so you can hold the shotgun in one hand, push the lever and the gun opens wide to then shuck the hulls quick with a reverse thrust of the gun while reaching for and loading the next 2 shells with the left hand. Single trigger does the rest.
    JW
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master

John Wayne,

You touched a sore subject. I don't begrudge any shooter their game, and I've long been of the "it's your gun, do what you want" school.

But the CAS crowd is DESTROYING an entire class of firearm (notably these SKB and also Browning BSS 12s) to whack them off into coach guns so they can play cowboys and Indians on the weekends. I'm not a fan.

Sorry if that offends anyone.

Boolit Master
    I'm not offended at all. I have 3 modified SKB 200 E's. Once you've used one that's been modified the others sure seem cumbersome to use. Same goes for the lever action guns we slick up. I'm sure not going to denigrate anyone else's shooting sports.
    JW
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Buddy
    What makes the subject shotgun so so special to the original poster? Nostalgia?

Boolit Master

It's just that they're quality gun(like think Browning Citori level but in a sxs) plus the fact that my 20 gauge had served me so well for so many years, plus the fact that 12s are difficult to find. All these combined to make it a very desirable gun for me. Plus I love a project!!