Well I was surprised today when I opened a small package that I had received and found a new Frizzen and a 2 pack of English flints from Traditions. One of the things I complained about to them was that their idiot gunsmith fixed the frizzen not opening by grinding half the face off and not bothering to reharden it. I was pretty vocal about the fact that any reputable gunsmith knows that you don’t grind on the frizzen face after it has been hardened. The only ones that do got their certificate from Sonoran Desert Institute, or out of a box of Cracker Jacks.

What is even sadder is the fact that there are a bunch of You Tube videos on how to fix a Traditions flintlock. A google search brings them all up, and not a single one I saw shows anyone removing the frizzen and thinning the face of it. How can you call yourself a gunsmith when you know nothing about the design and function of one of the earliest and simplistic ignition assemblies on a firearm? As a kid growing up, before I was allowed to touch any of the modern precision hunting rifles Dad and Don were building, I got the pleasure of learning how to make all of the broken parts for people’s black powder stuff they would drag into the shop. Nothing like making a hammer from scratch for an old 20 ga dbl barrel cap gun that had the hammer broken off and missing. At the age of 11 or 12, I made the half that was broken and welded it back on to the original half of the hammer that was still on the Gun.