WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision MCD Products
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any experience with Traditions Warranty?

Boolit Master

Anyone have any experience with Traditions Warranty?

A couple months ago I bought a new in box Traditions Flintlock Mountain rifle. Many people on other black powder forums had said don’t wast money on traditions rifles, but I had always had great success with them in the past, so I gave it a go. Now I think I just wasted a bunch of money. I opened the box when it arrived and it was beautiful, the browned barrel and hardware looked nice, with excellent wood to metal fit, and a really nice set of sights, that I could actually see. Much like those on my Pedersoli. That is about as far as it went.

When I looked down the bore it looked dirty. I ran a patch through it and it was filled with powder residue and rust, because it never got cleaned after proofing. I pulled it apart and with lots of elbow got it clean. Next was to try the lock. I tried a new English flint, and click, it didn’t open the frizzen. I tried it several more times and nothing. The mainspring was soft and mushy, like an old Smith and Wesson model 10 revolver. The frizzen spring was so stiff it was hard to force open, yes you read that right force open. I tried calling Traditions, useless because they are only open a few days of the work week. I sent an email with details and photos explaining how disappointed I was in their quality, and a week later got a reply with a number, day, and time to call.

I called when I was supposed to and got an RMA after explaining again what the problems were, and the gun was absolutely garbage and should have never left the factory in that condition. They’ve had it a month now, and I called and talked to a different individual. I was told that after being there a month my gun still has not been looked at and that with the back log of guns it would be at least 4 to 6 weeks before they would even be able to look at it. I feel like I am going to be out a lot of money by the time this is over, and have to buy a new lock out of pocket, and buy a new barrel also. If they are putting junk parts on guns to ship, why would I expect the replacement ones will be better. I think I bought an $700 plus stock I could have bought off EBay for $50.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master
    I only had one warranty issue with a Traditions Crocket rifle.
    The brass trigger guard broke when it was off and I dropped it on my floor that had carpet.
    I called Traditions.
    They said they would send me a new trigger guard , but it comes from Europe so it will take several weeks.
    The pandemic kicked in and imports were delayed longer.
    I got the new guard in four months.
    But in the mean time I Brazed the original guard back together.
    As far as quality .
    I dont think Traditions is Top of the Line.
    But I buy mostly Kits and fit everything perfect myself.
    I have not had to do any major repairs or improvements on these kits to make them a good lower cost rifle compared to the cost of Pedersoli rifles.

Boolit Master

Sometimes suppliers take back previously sold products and put them back into inventory or resell them as seconds. If it was shot and never cleaned this could be your issue. I have had this happen to me from Sportsman's Guide 25 years ago so they might not be doing it now. Just a thought.

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Sometimes suppliers take back previously sold products and put them back into inventory or resell them as seconds. If it was shot and never cleaned this could be your issue. I have had this happen to me from Sportsman's Guide 25 years ago so they might not be doing it now. Just a thought.
    Many years ago, I bought such a rifle from Sportsman's Guide, it was listed as blemished or something, it had been fired but the bore was clean, the breech plug had some fouling and a bit of rust that cleaned up ok. If I can remember it cost no more than $150.00 or less or I would not have bought it. I also bought a Traditions flintlock Hawkin for next to nothing from them, I haven't shot it much, but it worked the last time I tried it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    No this gun was new,new. There were no marks on the frizzen and it showed no signs of use anywhere. I am thinking the barrel didnt pass proofing and accidentally got tossed in the wrong bin. Instead of going in the scrap bin, it went into the build bin. Also I paid new price from it from Midway. The only reason I bought it there was because they were the only ones that had one in stock. I cant believe their warranty repair department is 4-6 weeks behind on looking at the guns coming in much less repairing them. I feel like I felt with that Remington 7-08 about 9 years ago, Robbed. After Remington wouldnt replace the barrel because it was in spec, 0.281 at the throat, and 0.286 at the muzzle, and was their specs they wouldnt replace it. It sat in the safe for years until I decided to either use it as a fence post or have it rebarreled. I had it rebarreled, because I couldnt see tossing $1500 out the window.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

bought fox river 50 model 30 years ago, noticed that one of the lock plate washers missing, contacted them + was told parts not available - it is still accurate + reliable now - still would like to find replacement washer to replace my makeshift one -
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 06-17-2024 at 06:34 PM.
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    bought fox river 50 model 30 years ago, noticed that one of the lock plate washers missing, contacted them + was told parts not available - it is still accurate + reliable now - still would like to find replacement washer to replace my makeshift one -
    I will, eventually when I catch a break, make a fancy plate of brass for my my 32 cal Pedersoli Frontier Rifle, to replace the butt ugly large head machine bolts that run through the stock and hold the lock on. I know it will require some inletting but If I do it right, I can have a truly one of a kind Rifle.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    I Customize factory rifles and dress them up a bit to make them look even better.
    One of my common items is making custom Lock Side Plates.
    I make some out of Brass in the size or shape I want to.
    Others I buy lock plates and modify them to fit my lock or or even customize the shape to fit my stocks.
    Inletting them is not that hard to do with a little practice.
    You can see one of them in my post I did about my Hybrid Rifle that I posted a thread.
    That is a side plate that I bought and brazed up the screw hole and redrilled it to the location I needed for my lock.
    Last edited by LAGS; 06-19-2024 at 12:21 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I Customize factory rifles and dress them up a bit to make them look even better.
    One of my common items is making custom Lock Side Plates.
    I make some out of Brass in the size or shape I want to.
    Others I buy lock plates and modify them to fit my lock or or even customize the shape to fit my stocks.
    Inletting them is not that hard to do with a little practice.
    You can see one of them in my post I dis about my Hybrid Rifle that I posted a thread.
    That is a side plate that I bought and brazed up the screw hole and redrilled it to the location I needed for my lock.
    That’s a nice looking rifle.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    Thank you.
    I love having fun building custom rifles.
    I don’t do it as a business , but end up selling some of them to friends or doing some customizing on some friends rifles.

Boolit Master

I was just told in by email that they replaced the lock on my rifle, and it is now throwing a fountain of sparks in the pan with both the knapped flint an an agate flint. Tomorrow it is supposed to go to the range to be tested for accuracy. So we shall see. I hope they make it right right.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Mold
    i highly doubt it was proof tested. They use real nasty grease to help minimize rust during transport over the big blue.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BS-BP View Post
    i highly doubt it was proof tested. They use real nasty grease to help minimize rust during transport over the big blue.
    I’m familiar with the grease. This was massive amounts of rust and powder fouling.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Well I have now experienced Traditions Warranty work, and it is as bad or worse than Remington’s before they went bankrupt this last time and were out of business for many years. Firstly, the lock is no better than when I sent it in, in fact it is actually worse. Instead of lightening the tension of the frizzen spring, or strengthening the main spring, the so-called gunsmith ground off the face of the Frizzen, and didn’t bother to harden it again so now it doesn’t spark at all and just hangs up. In the litterateur they sent me they even admitted that There is so much stress in the barrel that it needs to completely cool between shots. But don’t worry it’s all within their specs. I’m mad as hell because I had to save, cut corners, and work extra for two years to be able to buy that rifle, and now I have a damn fence post. I should have saved a bit longer and bought something better.

Now I know why the barrel was filthy and full of rust and powder fouling. It was never intended to go on a rifle, but ended up on one anyway. Basically I paid over $700 for a cheap Birch stock and some cheap aluminum hardware. I can probably fix the lock, by replacing the frizzen, and compressing the frizzen spring slightly and heating it. I don’t know what to do about the barrel. No one makes a replacement barrel for that rifle, and I also don’t have the money to replace it. Back 6 years ago when Remington told me My new 700 BDL Custom Deluxe 7mm-08 was in spec with a .281 throat and a .286 muzzle, I had the option of paying to have it rebarrled, because I had money then. I guess I will take it to the pawnshop and see what I can get out of it once I can fix the lock, and start over, unless someone here has any suggestions.
    WWG1WGA

the quality + workmanship on mine is OK, but them not being able to supply the missing washer, turned me off with them completely -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

I just got an email back from them saying that they will not be accepting the rifle back for further work as it was functioning when it left their shop. I am so sick of being ripped off by companies, that claim to stand behind their products, make them worse when you send it back and then say it was fine when it left. We’ll time to do the same smear campaign against Traditions that I did against Remington to make sure no one buys a Traditions Product again. Here is their customer service number if any one wants to call and complain about how they knowing sent a defective product back to a disabled vet and you will never buy one of their products again (860)388-4656

The only way these companies will start treating people right is if they know that people are going to quit buying their products because they won’t stand behind them.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

I won't ever be buying a Traditions product!

Boolit Master

Ok final update on the Traditions Mtn Rifle. As I said above,I fixed the lock, and now I may have solved the barrel issue. I hogged out a bunch of wood, and glass bedded it, then bent the wedges so they are applying a tremendous amount of tension on the barrel, jamming it into the glass bedding so it can’t move. I shot it yesterday and was consistently getting 2.5-3” groups at 60 yds. No walking high and to the left. Yesterday it was 90, and 80% humidity. I’m headed out now to see if I can shrink that group some with a slightly thicker patch. I will not go so thick I have to use a short starter. I hate those damn things.
    WWG1WGA

i went thru 2 Fl Traditions muzzleloaders and until i settled with old left hand FL CVA Hawkens in 50cal. i bought it at an auction for $125. i didn't like sights, so i put on fiber optics sights . the inside of barrel was rusted, so i cleaned it with next to boiling water and Ivory soap. i had to do that 3 or 4 times, but she is clean.

i use round balls with .005" patches or a sabot (44 cal) with 250gr penta hp or a 280gr WFN with 70gr of FFg. i can keep it at 1 1/2 - 2 1/4" at 100 yards (3 shots/bench) with sabots, 1 - 1 3/4" at 50 yards with patches and a RB.

whenever i used a Traditions a 3 shot group at 50 yards was about 2 1/2 - 3 1/2" on a RB with a .015" patch. the big thing for me was the "hang fire". if you pull the trigger and strike the flint and it goes phhhhhhht boom, that is a hang fire and it happens all the time. the flash pan was about 1/16"+ away from the barrel, so you checked the flash pan for powder frequently. 9 times out 10, the powder was gone. there were a bunch of things wrong with the Traditions.

my dad (RIP) and my younger brother got caught up with a sure hang fire PA Traditions FL Deerhunter with Pyrodex pellets. the breech plug is a nifty idea, but it is better off if your are using a percussion rifle. after they used it, they sold it and the old FL are used.
    Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

US Army 12B & 51B

Boolit Master

Spent some quality time with the Mountain Rifle this morning. By going with a .0165 patch instead of the .015 patch I was able to shrink the group to about a silver dollar size for six shots@ 60 yds. It started to open up on the 7th and 8th shots, so I swabbed it with a couple of spit patches, run a couple of dry patches down it and shot again, right back in the group. I shot a couple more times same thing. I shot 11 times in about 15 minutes and the barrel was nearly too hot to hold, in the near 90 heat. All in all, I am satisfied with the accuracy. 6 shots before I have to swab, burning 105 grains of Schuetzen 2F, and most importantly no walking as it heats up now. Once I get the new barrel on my CVA Hawken, and buy the Lyman GPR from my buddy down In Texas, I may sell it to someone wanting an intro rifle, now that it is actually fixed and shoots well.
    WWG1WGA