Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMCD ProductsRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Spring stock

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Spring stock

Iím planning on making some flat springs for a couple of flintlocks I have. I checked for spring steel flat stock from Brownels over here. Despite being very expensive, they were out of stock. Iím wondering what I can use in place of it. Iíve heard of using old saw blades, but what kind? Bandsaw? Would a piece out of an old circular saw blade work? Anything else I could scavenge a few pieces of the right steel from? Do I have to worry about heat if cutting it with a cutoff disk?
    All advice is greatly appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any automotive junkyards around? There are a bunch of smaller parts made from spring stock in cars, just not a lot of small flat stock.

Some later model hood springs are made from ~Ĺ" wide flat spring wound up like an old alarm clock spring. Then there is the old trunk lid springs from about any 60's model that were 1/4" diameter torsion springs.

Robert

With a lot of filing and patience good springs can be made from automobile suspension springs--the stacked flat springs.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-18-2024 at 12:31 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, thereís absolutely no point."
    Ė Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Do you want straight stock or pre tempered? You might check OnLineMetals.com. You can get basic stock not sure about pre tempered.

Boolit Master

Dixie gun works has annealed spring stock in several different thickness. Runs about $6. Also they have many main springs for flint or percussion locks. I have used it but most of the time I machine springs from old car springs.

Boolit Grand Master

Car springs sounds like a good choice. I new I would regret it when I finally had the non running parts vehicles towed to the junkyard, but there’s still one.
    Should I anneal the springs before starting to work on them?
    Thanks for your responses.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Car springs sounds like a good choice. I new I would regret it when I finally had the non running parts vehicles towed to the junkyard, but there’s still one.
    Should I anneal the springs before starting to work on them?
    Thanks for your responses.
    Depends on the shape. If you need much of a bend you will need to anneal.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, thereís absolutely no point."
    Ė Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

What are the dimensions of the spring you need? The problem with using used car springs is that depending on age they could have weakened/cracks in the metal that dont show up until you've done all the work. Find take off springs from a newer vehicle or go to a supension shop and ask for cutoffs from their scrap bin. I would anneal the spring, cut some strips the length you need and then hot forge them to the thickness you need. A barbeque and a hair dryer will make a small wood fired forge and a sledge hammer (face up) held in a vice will work as an anvil to forge on. After forging, normalize the piece and than heat treat.
    The 82nd Airborne Taught Us To Make the Rules Not Follow Them Like Sheeple

Boolit Buddy
    I didn't look, but maybe McMaster-Carr would be a decent source?

45_Colt

Boolit Buddy
    What thickness do you need ?

I have annealed spring stock from .018" up to .100" thick, its all 1075 alloy

J W

Boolit Grand Master

I realised that I have some broken parts from an agricultural tool that should work. I don’t know the name is in English, but you pull it behind a tractor. It has several rows teeth mounted on 3/4 inch bars with a coil to absorb shocks. I have however broken a few. I figure they have to be spring steel. I tested a piece with the mill and it seems to be easy to work. I will be heating it to red hot to bend it. Later I will quench it in oil and then give it some time in my casting pot to temper it.