RotoMetals2WidenersMCD ProductsReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Remington 721 musing

Boolit Master

Remington 721 musing

I read the 300 mag 721 thread and it got me to wondering. Who currently owns a Remington 721 and in what caliber/calibers. I have one in 30-06. I sold a Remington Enhanced 700 to buy it. I do not regret it one bit either.

Boolit Grand Master

I have Dad's 30/06 721. That rifle killed a couple hundred deer and a bunch of other things.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 721 in 300 H&H, a 30/06 and two 270's.
    My son has one in 30/06 and a 264 Win.
    NRA Endowment Member

I would trade a small pile of guns for a 722 in .244 Remington. I had a 721 in 30-06 and it was a good one. I like the way the stock fits me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 722 in 244 Rem. They made the 244 with 24" and 26" barrels. Mine is a 26" barrel.

Remington 721's and 722's used high and low comb stocks. Low comb stocks for use with open sights and high comb stocks for scope use.

When Remington started the 700's, they made the sights higher.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Bub
    I have my father's 721 in 30/06. It was the only deer rifle that he owned. Unfortunately, he never had a chance to take a buck with it before he passed in 1984. It is an excellent shooting rifle. I replaced the trigger with a Timney to fix the safety issue. It was money well spent. I shot a 7-point buck 2 years ago with it.

Boolit Master
    The one I posted about below is my first 721 and my first and only .300 H&H. I'd wanted a 721 for many years. It was made in 1950 and wears an old El Paso Weaver K4. Pretty classic combination.

A fellow had a nice 721 in .300H&H for sale at our Central Pennsylvania Antique Arms Assn. meeting a few months ago, $600.00 OTD. Nope, I didn't buy it although I thought it a great deal at that price. Had it been a .30/06 I probably would have.

Winchester stocked the pre 64 M-70's for either scope or open sights also. The ones stocked for scope mounting were Monte Carlo and used a simple lay down rear sight. Those buyers intending on using only open sights got the classic stock along with a long rear sight with a stepped adjuster. My brother bought a .30/06 with the classic stock intended to be shot with irons, he mounted a 4-12 Burris on it and he cries about recoil every time he shoots it. My 1953 .30/06 has the Monte Carlo stock and shoots very comfortably with any load.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

I have a 30/06 in the B model
    I know of a 300 H&H and a 722 in 300 Savage

Boolit Master
    If I can contribute with a Rem 722 in 257 Roberts;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230506_101932.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	327396 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230506_101301.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	327397 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230506_101426.jpg 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	327398 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230506_101531.jpg 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	327399

Boolit Master

Kestrel4k, I not only love the rifle but the caliber too. Beautiful rifle. Funny thing, I always planned on buying or building a .257 Robert but never got around to it. james

Boolit Master
    Kestrel, that is a lovely 722 indeed, in one of my favorite chamberings. Every time I am reminded of Ned Roberts, it makes me smile.
    By the way, I am a native of Salem, and if you have ever been north of Lakeview, you know that Abert Rim is one of the most spectacular fault scarps in North America. I loved hunting deer up on top among the petroglyphs. That's why I chose it for my screen name.
    Bill

About a year ago I bought a Rem 722 in .222 Rem as a project. I got a good deal on it because someone "bubba'd" the gun pretty bad. The butt was cut-off to fit a kid & it had some big gouges filled with gray putty on the forend. The barrel has the front sight screw holes filled with solder. I completely re-did the stock with a recoil pad to fix the LOP & installed an ebony forend tip & ebony grip cap. This cleaned up the outside of the stock nicely. The original inletting was undisturbed. Per my usual, even before shooting, I installed pillars & glass bedded the action. The rifle is now a joy & shooting tiny groups with just about any load I put together! The barrel is 26" long, unnecessary for a .222, so I plan to get it cut/crowned to 24" to eliminate the front sight holes. The trigger breaks clean a little over 3 lbs which is a little heavier than I like. I'm contemplating notching the receiver-tail so a 700 trigger will fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0248-Leftside.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	327474 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0256-Bedding-Left.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	327475 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front-Sight-Plugs.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	327476
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

I have a 721 in .280. My son thinks it is the best deer rifle in existence. When I got it decades ago I had to restock it as a previous owner had cut the stock to about a 12" length of pull.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have a .30-'06. Deadly deer rifle.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I never owned one, but worked on them as a gunsmith, mostly reblued them. I really liked them and thought them well made. I would choose one over a Win. Mod. 70.

DG

Boolit Master

I picked up a well-used 721 in 30-06 at an estate sale, mainly because it had a Lyman receiver sight on it. About the same time I got a deal on some Weatherby brand 30-06 ammo with 150 gr Barnes bullets. When I tried the ammo in the 721, I got a shockingly small group at 100 yards. Now it sits in the back of the safe, with all the other rifles that are "too good to let go of yet."
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.