RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMCD ProductsLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Moly Graphite lithium Lube

Boolit Master

Moly Graphite lithium Lube

I tried today for the first time some Penrite CV joint grease.
    https://penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis...T%20GREASE.pdf

Slapped a bit on some 310 bullets while trying to get a good for age 100 year old barrel to shoot.
    I think it helped fill some holes and things.
    Group went from
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2704.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	327262
    To this

Name:	IMG_2706.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	327263

It seemed to tighten the bore a little at the muzzle and when patched with a dry patch was dry but black.
    Seems to be an endless supply of lube to try and get out.

Should I mix it with beeswax to water it down some or just keep playing with it?

I think it will take a hundred patches to get it out at the rate I’m going.

Anyone played with is or similar.

Boolit Master

Middle Tennessee for now. WANT TO BUY land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    What is the Lyman moly lube? Beeswax and moly grease? Looks like you already have the cheap component of the mix!

Boolit Buddy
    Been using Ford moly EP tube grease, straight, for rifle cast boolits, and revolver boolits 2 or 3 at a time, for a long time. Dab it on by finger. Outpost 75's "The load" and Lee's 338 cast boolit will get me 2 inch groups at 100 yds. For large volumes through the Lyman 450, stick lube of the month. Moly EP works for black powder revolvers, too.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I wonder how graphite Rockford Aresenal mold release spray would do spraying boolits???? It dropped my trigger pull in my 223 H&R from 4 pounds to 26 oz. I would guess dry graphite spray would probably make a mess just like Molly?

Boolit Buddy
    Is that only a 3 shot "after" group? If so it might be premature to say the lube did anything and you will have to do a lot more shooting to find out.

But just so you know.....the novelty of moly quickly fades when you notice black stains on everything you touch.

Boolit Master
    No it’s a five shot after group.
    Ha
    From 4 to about 2" at 50 meters.
    The outliner was the first shot then the group narrowed in after.
    This rifle had fuzzy sights today and that 2" squarish tape was as fine as I could not see too well

It’s a work in progress.
    One of my lost cause projects with some hope.

You are probably right about the lube love as well.
    I had heard of Lyman molly but never seen or used any.
    Still it’s something one can buy off the shelf.

I’m more a 50/50 bees wax/ vas or 50/50 bw/atf kind of guy.

Boolit Master
    Pure MoS2 /moly is a well know extreme pressure lubricant .........one of its most spectacular properties is its ability to eliminate spline fretting ,especially in hydraulic pump drives..........it also has a spectacular ability to make friction clutches slip........a few fingerprints on a clutch surface will cause a breakaway....stories are legion of pouring moly into a hot journal in a giant paper roll ,and the bearing cools and runs for another six months to annual shutdown.

Boolit Buddy
    Bruce - I have used beeswax and Castrol LMM, about 3:1 or 4:1 seems right in our climate. I've also used Lyman Super Moly and done well with it at about 2200 fps (though I now prefer Orange Magic, and testing 2500+). I think it's Glen Fryxell writes of using 50:50 beeswax and moly grease as his regular lube for everything.

Before Alox, Col Harrison's recommendation was lithium based grease. I've used that too, though it was pretty sloppy - part seated the bullets dry, then applied grease with fingers before finishing seating. It shot well in .32 Special full power loads. Castrol LMM is a lithium grease with moly, so using that was going full circle.

Back in the .44-40 days it was beeswax and mutton fat, black, duplex, or smokeless.
    Last edited by Wilderness; 06-08-2024 at 05:38 PM.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

One thing about cast and a not so good bore is you can fire lap using valve grinding compound in grit stages for bullet lube. Had a 10 inch TC 30-30 barrel that had chatter marks in the lands and in the grooves, it fouled like a garbage truck with top oped doing 60 down a washboard dirt road. So I changed it from a .308 to a .312 removed all the chatter. Opened up the mould a tad, and it shot 1/2" groups with 165 grain cast bullet. Sometimes fire lapping works better than expected.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    You can also buy the pure powder from Brownells .........however ,its very black ,and a little goes a very long way to staining clothes ,furniture and such ..........there are similar compounds which arent black and have similar properties such as Boron Nitride.

Boolit Master
    Yeah I’ll try mixing a little in beeswax and see how that performs.
    It is quite sloppy at the moment.
    But I don’t mind finger lubing.
    Looking though the brass I could see when I first started the mottle on the cases mouth from the pitting there.
    Later on after slopping grease in that area it must have filled them up some and the cases mouths come out unaffected.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    Yeah I’ll try mixing a little in beeswax and see how that performs.
    It is quite sloppy at the moment.
    But I don’t mind finger lubing.
    Looking though the brass I could see when I first started the mottle on the cases mouth from the pitting there.
    Later on after slopping grease in that area it must have filled them up some and the cases mouths come out unaffected.
    Bruce,
    I am using roughly 50% Bees Wax and 50% moly grease,it is a bit like plastercine.I get a lump of it and scrape a bit off with the bullet,then smear it into the grooves,followed by running the bullet through a Lee. Push through sizing die.The grease I am using nów is 3% molydenum in a lithium base,previously used a grease with 5% molydenum,can see no difference in use.

Boolit Master
    I don’t know but replacing the Molly with something I can’t see doesn’t seem to be a solution,
    maybe what the wife can’t see……

We’ll fire lapping is not off the cards as yet.
    Might try a running a cast led slug up and down the barrel lubed by a slurry of grit, and see how that works.
    I have maybe a thou or two To play with.

The groups dispersion maybe from a slight taper at the muzzle the wrong way.
    I may even try hammering along the lands path to tighten it up or maybe friction fit a red hot bush on the end and let it shrink up when cooled.
    Gotta be a way.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 06-10-2024 at 12:20 AM.

Boolit Master
    I shot some more straight Molly with a different loads.

Found what it liked again.

Then shot this 5 shot group at 50m .
    I’m not sure if I had fired enough rounds to foul in the barrel to where it would shoot.
    So more experiments to follow.

Name:	IMG_2716.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	327651

I shot another group later on in the morning but had a couple of high flyers.
    The sights had gone a bit more fuzzy by this stage and to see if it was just the lube I used some bw/atf lubed ones.
    They each printed pretty well beside each previous bullet.

Name:	IMG_2720.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	327652
    So that is confronting.
    Coffee may have run out or something.
    I may need to get the eye balls polished or an aperture to make things a little see-able.
    These open ‘v’ sights and rounded barley corn posts are hard on the not so old farts.

The Molly/ lube build up was pronounced after 30 shots.
    Not everything is black yet.
    It does stick to the bore like the proverbial thing to a blanket thou.

I will shoot it in the next cadet shoot and see how it goes compared to my good cadet.

Boolit Master
    Well I shot this cranky old cadet today at the cadet shoot.
    Hadn’t even tested it at 100yds.
    I was just curious to see how it would perform.

After 1 or 2 rounds it was settled in.
    The majority of cases extracted just fine with a little extra lube on the case neck for the filling of the pitting there.

My best score for the military 3 position cadet shoot has been 140 +10x.
    Today I shot a 143 + 13x.
    So I out shot myself with a lesser quality rifle bore.
    I came un done at 100m on drop and a bit wild.

I have watered the moly grease down with a little vasalene and it seems better to finger lube with.
    Can’t complain and cleans out with a couple of extra patches.
    Instead of 3 patches for the day it’ll take me 5 and I’m done.
    That’s with several guns I tried it in.

So I’m happy with these results.

I may try mixing a little with bees wax and see how that preforms.

Thanks for the support.
    Bruce
    P’s
    I left my phone at home so no pitches, sorry.

Boolit Master
    Moly does have the ability to stick to steel ....and its often used to precoat bearing surfaces in gearboxes and engines that bushings will run on,so there is no startup seizure.