MCD ProductsInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Ranch dog molds?

Boolit Bub

Ranch dog molds?

Are they still made? I am new to this forum and while I have been casting for about 15 years I had never heard of a ranch dog mold. I recently started casting for my 44 magnum and 41 magnums and I have seen this ranch dog mold spoken up on these forums. Specifically the 44 magnum 265 grain. I understand that this was a very good bullet for the Marlin rifles. I tried looking on the Internet and I really don't know exactly what I'm looking for other than the mold. It mentions Lee molds which I rarely use. I normally use custom molds from Buffalo arms, Paul Jones, Steve brooks, and a few Seiko and Lyman molds. Can anybody point me in the direction to find one of these molds if they are still made? Thank you, Mike

Boolit Master
    Look at the NOE molds. I believe Al picked up on some, if not all, of the Ranch Dog designs.

Boolit Master

Ranch Dog was a member here who used to design molds back in the day: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/mem...?422-Ranch-Dog

The molds were farmed out to Lee for the mold cutting, shipped to him, inspected, and then shipped to the customer. This is back in the day of custom mold designs which were honcho'd by members here. Ranch Dog's designs were originally meant for the throats of some lever guns. However, it was soon realized that many of the principals he used were beneficial in other boolit applications. Examples of the Ranch Dog design are: Lee TL356-95-RF, NOE 311165 RF, Arsenal 358-135, Arsenal 311-170, as well as most of the 180-190gr .358" bullets you'll see around. I personally have the RD359-190-RF, and it is a nice bullet in the 357 magnum at about 1000fp. Not something I use much, but since he gave it to me as a gift, I hold onto it.

Most of the designs were from an era when it was difficult to get custom molds. There were few people doing custom orders, and when they did they required a large number of molds to be cut. Lee required something like 10-20 molds, $500 setup fee, plus shipping. So we got together and did group buys, sometimes with multiple runs. Ranch Dog instead did the entire run himself, then sold the molds.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you want to catch up with Ranch Dog and his doings, he organized the Lee Loaders Forum and seemed to be busy with that the last time I heard anything about him. That forum is very helpful and informative for those interested in all of the Lee products, not just the Lee Loader.
    Froggie

PS the forum is located here: https://www.lee-loader.com/index.php
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pipehand View Post
    Look at the NOE molds. I believe Al picked up on some, if not all, of the Ranch Dog designs.
    If you do. Good luck finding anything in stock.

Boolit Bub
    Yes I've been shopping around and kind of found that out but I'm still looking thank you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mike salyards View Post
    Yes I've been shopping around and kind of found that out but I'm still looking thank you.
    Look at Arsenal Molds. They have one or two Ranch Dog designs.

https://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=104

Boolit Grand Master
    Let me look, I might still have one of the 44 moulds you are looking for. Might be NIB, but without the box, but might still have that too. Be tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    Regarding NOE availability of a given design, you can go to the "General Discussion" portion their Forum to see a list of what is currently in production as well as what is coming soon. It sometimes seems to help to mention what you are wanting to buy. They may add it to the list for upcoming production.

Boolit Grand Master
    Have a 44-265. Used a few times. Graphite coating on sprue plate and top of mould. 6 cavity. PM me if interested

Boolit Master

Also, as a note, I don't believe Ranch Dog ever designed a conventional lubed bullet design. All of his designs are Tumble Lube bullets if I'm not mistaken. Though, many/most have been redesigned as conventional lubed bullets, and some modified for weight.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Bub
    PM sent

Boolit Master

I use the RD 411-255 gc in my .41 magnum. No need to tumble lube.I size and lube using Lyman 450 with NRA 50/50 lube. I don't use a heater, just room temperature. Very accurate boolit in both my S&W 57, and Ruger SBH.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.