Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMCD Products
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Hoppe's New Number 9 Traditiona Bore Cleaner

Boolit Buddy

Hoppe's New Number 9 Traditiona Bore Cleaner

I have used this twice cleaning my rifles. I run wet patches and dry patches until i get a clean patch. I noticed that there seems to be red coating left in the bore. Has anyone else noticed this. It seems to still be there after I run an oiled patches through. I have tried the new high tech Hoppe's 9 but it seemed to attack my oil finished wood.

Boolit Bub
    Our local LGS has had both the traditional Hoppe's #9 and the Synthetic. I accidentally bought one bottle of the Synthetic but haven't used it yet. The Traditional hasn't ever left any residue in my barrels.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Our local LGS has had both the traditional Hoppe's #9 and the Synthetic. I accidentally bought one bottle of the Synthetic but haven't used it yet. The Traditional hasn't ever left any residue in my barrels.
    Mine either...I like it for Removing Rust as well as bore solvent!!

Boolit Master

I have a quart bottle of Hoppes #9 (still 1/2 full) in the Reloading Shed. Use it to fill a couple of small Hoppe bottles I keep at the cleaning station when they get low.

If they have changed formula, I might go looking for another quart bottle of the "Old Stuff" as I use Hoppes #9 most times; although I will use Sweets 7.72 or Montana X-Treme if it looks like I might be picking up a little copper fouling from the 5/16 copper tubing I swage .308 bullets from.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

During hunting with my side by side I always bring the spent hulls to my nose....I've never been able to get enough of that smell, same with Hoppe's 9
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Yup the most ascetically un appealing gal suddenly is attractive with a dab of Hope’s no 9 behind each ear.

Boolit Buddy

Paper hulls. Ya gots to sniff fired paper hulls.
    Last edited by K43; 06-04-2024 at 04:33 PM.

Boolit Master

I've been sniffing shotgun shells for over 70 years, ever since my dad would bring home
    all the empty hulls. To this day, I just love that smell.

If the sniff of a fired paper hull doesn't bring back memories of small game hunting from our youth, nothing will. I can still smell the smoke from my Stevens 94c.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy

Perhaps I did properly explain my comments. I have used the old Hoppe's number 9 for years. The new Hoppe's so-called Traditional No.9 is not the same as the good smelling old No. 9. In any event I cleaned a rifle with the new 9 and later before gong to the range I ran a patch through the bore. I have used Marvel Mystery oil after the bore cleaner. I of course run two clean patches before oiling the bore. When I ran the patch through the bore a week later it had a reddish brown stain on the patch. I though it might be the MM oil. I have since sanded a piece of steel bright and put some of the New Traditional No 9 on it. About an hour later i wiped it and I did get a brownish stain. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. It is scary because it looks at first glance as rust, but is not.

Years ago, I switched from Hoppes to Ed's Red.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

I mix it up by the quart. It cleans much faster than Hoppes, and does not dick with oil finishes. I normally leave the Acetone out unless I'm cleaning a shotgun.

Boolit Buddy

Shaman, thanks. I think I will go with the Red's. Everyone seems to have good results.

I'm glad I'm not the only mental case that sniffs the empty hulls. Done that as long as I can remember.