MidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD ProductsRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Marlin 41 mag lever gun load

Boolit Bub

Marlin 41 mag lever gun load

Does anybody have a favorite load for the Marlin 41 magnum rifle. I'm going to try out a couple of my pistol loads and I do have a cast bullet Elmer Keith style in 220 grain that I shoot out of my handguns.

Moderator Emeritus

Alcan AL-7, I think it's around 11gr. It's a Ken Waters Pet load....and one of mine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I like Lyman 41028, it is a round nose flat point. Cast with my home made Lyman #2 alloy they weigh 205 gr. and I size to .410. Starline brass, CCI 300 primer, 17.7 gr. AA#9. COAL of 1.580". I have this marked as a MAX load so one should probably start with a lower charge. My notes show velocity of 1650 from Marlin.

Boolit Master
    I like 41028 also, long ago started using it in revolvers with 9.0 gr Unique, and 9.5 gr 800-X. These shoot well in the carbine; bullet weight is 210 gr.
    I picked up a Ruger Redhawk SS, and ordered a NEI-SSK 411275 mould, which is a PB, TC nose, casting 295 gr. I loaded these with 18.0 gr H-110 and a CCI 350 primer, back in 2002. Tried this load in the carbine when it came along, and recently ran a little test to see where point of impact was when different number of rounds were in gun. Magazine holds 9 + 1 in chamber. At 25 yards, full mag shot 3” above POA, half mag shot 1.5” above POA, and last shot was 1.4” above POA. This test was June of 2023. Much as I would like to, I can’t get out to a longer range now, I’m 83, and can’t leave my wife alone, but I can shoot at 25 yards off the back porch.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

I dont have a Marlin but I have a Henry that likes a 210gr XTP Hornady with 17.5 to 18 gr of 2400. If you have any 2400 dont count it out it does a great job in 357 and 41 mag
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Bub
    Thank you I have just loaded some of those up. Mike

Boolit Bub
    So now I have picked up some 295 grain cast Penn bullets that I would like to try. Does anyone have any load data for these?

Moderator Emeritus

Unique is best bet. Do you know the case capacity with that bullet?

ALSO: Consider AA #5, it's a very dense powder
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by mike salyards View Post
    So now I have picked up some 295 grain cast Penn bullets that I would like to try. Does anyone have any load data for these?
    The heaviest bullet I've tried in my Henry is a 280gr., this was last year.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".