Thread: Started on the rolling block today

Boolit Grand Master

Started on the rolling block today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0709.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	327008

Started on the rolling block project today. the above pic is the test barrel tenon I turned. Will grind the threading tool tomorrow and thread it. If all is right will bore 1/2" hole thru and use it to lapp front of receiver ring square and true. Then the barrel.

Barrel is a green mountain #3 ( I think) Tapered octagon, 34", 38 caliber, 1-14 twist. Will finish it 30" or 32" may try it at 34" first. Im going to cut the tenon on it so there is 1/4" of the round shank left to help for the tulip/wedding band in front of receiver.

Rifle is going to be a 38-55. I have a reamer MacPherson. will need to find an extractor for it

Would like a pistol gripped stock but will have to have a add on made as I dont think the lower tang can be reformed.

Im also thinking of making it a side lever operated action.

Boolit Master

Nice project!
    I will be eagerly awaiting your updates!

Sounds like a fun project. Please take us along .

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	IMG_0714.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	327027

Got up this morning warmed up the surface grinder and ground my threading tool .042 wide. Set up with the compound set at 0 and dial zeroed. Ran around 200 rpm and .010 per pass to start as I got closer to depth .005 then .002 to finish. Then .001 on compound till thread fit just right. Chips were a nice little curl. the .001 you didnt really see the chips. took 4 passes on the compound at .001. Also drilled the hole in it today.

Boolit Buddy
    As to a pistol grip stock, CPA Rifles and Treebone Carving I think both cut pistol grip stocks that are made to fit up to straight lower tangs. I have been told that they are comfortable to use, Might be easier that way than to fit an adapter to your action. http://www.rollingblockparts.com/ may have an extractor for you, or an extractor that you can weld up and fit to the .38 head size.
    Sam

Boolit Grand Master

Finished up the test stud body today bored it to 1/2" and made a brass bushing to fit with 1/4" hole. Had to order a piece of brass to make the lap disk. Had 2 interruptions today in the shop so that slowed me down. Then found out I was out of brass so now waiting on that to be delivered. Wow Is brass getting expensive 1 foot of 1 1/2 round was over $100.00.

Vendor Sponsor

Say more about the 1 degree compound pass. I am not sure what part of the thread you are cutting or cleaning up with that.
    Also, I would enjoy seeing pictures of your set-up of the lap-in of the front of the receiver.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

I intentionally ground my 12 tpi tool a few thousandths narrow, compound was set to zero ( parrallel to the spindle) I cut thread to depth then a couple passes at .001 per pass on the compound opened the thread up to the correct width of groove and crest in a controlled way. Allowed me to fit the thread. I cut ther thread to depth with the cross feed in light passes, then opened it up to a good fit with the compound cutting the face of the thread at depth.

Otherwise the tool would need to be ground to a very accurate width to do it with out the compound. Ithe 12 tpi tools are a little over .043 I ground mine to .041 in a jig. This left the groove narrow allowing me to widen it with the compound. This made a very nice thread with no chatter or burrs.

With this method you need to watch the cross feed numbers and remember the last setting as it is feeding in each time. 0 is the outside of the part and each cut the setting feeds in the amount of the cut. IE .010 is first pass .020 second pass .030 thrid pass .035 forth .038 fifth, ect. when you get to depth then check fit and star advancing the compound ahead .001 a pass to get the nice smooth fit. I might have been able to go .002-.003 a pass on the compound but that .040 wide tool is delicate looking.

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	IMG_0715.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	327093

Here is a view of one of the projects ( Brass Ball Peen) and a end view of the lapping tool for the rolling block. Another interruption daughter grandson and 2 puppies to play with, I get side tracked easily. Waiting on the 1 1/2" brass round stock for the lapping head. Another interruption is my brother wants me to make side racks for his gator. The below is another side view of the lapping body
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0717.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	IMG_0721.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	327173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0722.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	327174

the lapping fixture on the action, this lapps the surface square to the threads. front of receiver after some lapping. Its lapped in and good now.

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	IMG_0726.jpg 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	327223

Turned the pin today to set barrel up. Pin is .3665 on each end and relieved in center leaving 1" on each end. Pin fit light snug with oil on it it hangs where it is when released. Stem on pin is 3.625 long

Started rough polishing the barrel flats with a block and 220 grit using dawn for lube. The blank is a #3 taper octagon green mountain blank.

Boolit Buddy
    While it seems you are doing your best to square everything up with the barrel threads and action front, it wouldn't hurt to take a little time and square up the breach face. You all ready have a lap guide, just make a lap with a small diameter shank and a large face. The breach face may not need much but it can't hurt anything to have it cleaned up and square.
    Sam

Boolit Bub
    I'm following your thread. I love to watch this type of work. I don't own a lathe and have had no experience using one but I do think about have a table top lathe.

Boolit Grand Master

I worked in the tool makers trade put my shop in 5 years ago or so. This project is coming along Im a lot slower now working from the wheel chair.
    The shop keeps me from going bonkers now.

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	IMG_0732.jpg 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	327365

Side tracked again needed a spider for this barrel. This is the body I turned up today. My machine dosnt have enough spindle or opening in the cover for one so this one sets inside my spindle will be 2 set screws that lock it in place from inside to out. My spindle bore is 1 5?8" this bore is 1 3/8". Adjusting screws will be 3/8 24 set screws with brass tips added.

Also made brass pads up for the four jaw chuck today to keep those teeth off the barrel.

Boolit Grand Master
    For your project, where are you going together all the other parts required to finish the receiver? Is there a source for hammers, springs, breach devices, pins, etc?

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    For your project, where are you going together all the other parts required to finish the receiver? Is there a source for hammers, springs, breach devices, pins, etc?
    I'm pretty sure he can make what he needs.

Boolit Grand Master

The only part I needed was the rotary extractor. The rolling block was complete other wise. As there were several versions both by Remington and other countries knowing "what" version of what part you need can be the trick.

My issue is the sidetracks, started off with grinding the threading tool to get started, then the test stub, which became a lapping tool, then the alignment pin for indicating barrel in, then we put the 4 jaw on and it was brass pads. now its a spider. Next are the odds and ends projects for my brother and neighbors.

Boolit Master

I have made rolling extractors for a few in the past. For the 38-55 you won't need a spring type that works for the rimless cartridge. Just make sure the extractor does not go back so far that the rim can get past it when loading.

Boolit Grand Master

Thatt was the problem in 45-70 occasionally the rim would drop below. I had thought about making one but with out a pattern it would have been trickier