MCD ProductsWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: W231 in 9mm...volume concerns

Boolit Buddy

W231 in 9mm...volume concerns

I'm having outstanding accuracy with Bayou 138 gr BNWC in my &W 986 9mm revolver. Bullets are sized at .356 and the revolver has a Walter 1-10 barrel.

Been loading them "long" (see pic) but need to seat them deeper (pic) RE: double action drag. The case is nearly full with the deeper seat, not compressed but full.

Are there concerns with W231 (3.7gr) case volume?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dos9.jpg  

Boolit Master
    That’s a big reduction in case capacity, pressure will be much higher in the shorter loads unless you reduced the powder charge.
    You need to work up a new load.

Boolit Master
    Giving actual COALs would have been helpful.

I ran some Quickload (QL) stuff with wild guesses for COAL.

Seated long at 1.105", a 141 gr Lyman 358495 wadcutter has a seating depth of 0.229". With 3.7 of 231, QL predicts a medium 9mm load with 22,301 psi. Velocity would be around 938 fps from a 5" autoloader.

Seated short at 1.00", a Lyman 358495 has a seating depth of 0.334". With 3.7 of 231, QL says the case will be 98% full. QL predicts a nasty 40,392 psi.

Dropping down to 3.2 gr of 231 gets the load back down to a more reasonable 28,392 psi with a similar velocity to the original long load, 924 fps.
    Last edited by P Flados; 05-27-2024 at 11:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    That is a big change. Anytime I change the seating depth that much on a handgun I reduce the charge and work back up. Just a few tenths of a grain can mean the difference in a semi-auto ejecting or not, know you have a revolver but the pressure change still applies. I use W231 some loads, it is fast burning and small changes make a difference.

I have no facts and figures but there is no use taking a chance with a fine revolver, not even mention eyes and fingers.