MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersMCD ProductsReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where did your Black Powder addiction come from? Where you at now?

Boolit Buddy
    Watching Davy Crockett on TV in the 50's was my first inspiration and I wanted a flintlock rifle but I was much too young. In my late teen years some neighbors had a keg of black blasting powder that was probably 50 years old at the time. We experimented trying to make firecrackers with limited success. I made a cannon out of a bicycle tire pump that shot D size flashlight batteries at the corn crib. It's a wonder we didn't blow ourselves up but I was always very careful. Later on a friend bought some old single barrel shotgun barrels at an auction for a few bucks. I took one and made a muzzle loading shotgun out of one with some parts from Dixie Gun Works. the movie Jeremiah Johnson inspired me to make my first Hawken rifle. Then Virginia started a primitive rifle season for flintlock only so I ordered a kit from Dixie and built one. I finally had my flintlock rifle I had wanted as a kid. I spent some years with a Rev War re-enactment unit during and after the bicentennial.Then I got into shooting in the N-SSA with Civil War rifled muskets. In 1992 I started shooting BPCR silhouette with a Sharps rifle. In 2024 I'm still shooting in the N-SSA and shooting BPCR silhouette. That's about it.

I gotta be honest. A Quigley Sharps is on my wish list too...

Jon.

How did I get addicted to the Holy Black? I blame @LAGS...

Boolit Master

Around 1974 (or, maybe, 75) I worked with a guy whose father was Commanding Officer (he owned the cannon...a 6-pounder, relined to shoot beer cans filled with Sakrete) of 'Battery C, 1st Illinois Light Artillery. Being something of a history buff, I got interested and, eventually, ended up with a set of red-striped blues and a '63 Remington 'Zouave'. The rest, as they say is history...currently, three 1885 Winchesters, two Rolling Blocks, and a Trapdoor carbine.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"