WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Does your F.A.R.T. leak? Try this...

Does your F.A.R.T. leak? Try this...

I can't do without my Franford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler (F.A.R.T.) But sometimes the lid leaks despite my tightening the caps with Herculean strength using a F.A.R.T. wrench! So I tried something new. All I did was stop the leaking unit & turn the drum over. Swapped ends so to speak. Leak instantly stopped! Apparently the lid rotating in the direction that it's screwed on can cause the leak - I'm guessing. Try it yourself if you ever have one end dripping. Worth a shot....

Just FYI
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Mine occasionally leaks. I keep Vaseline on the gasket and mating surfaces now. I don’t have to tighten it as much now.

Boolit Master

I see a lot of humor here , as to the pin tumbler a little tight or use vaseline as to tight seems to make more leak and can enlarge your gasket .

I started using petroleum jelly, just a thin coat on the gasket will keep the lids from leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    I can't do without my Franford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler (F.A.R.T.) But sometimes the lid leaks despite my tightening the caps with Herculean strength using a F.A.R.T. wrench! So I tried something new. All I did was stop the leaking unit & turn the drum over. Swapped ends so to speak. Leak instantly stopped! Apparently the lid rotating in the direction that it's screwed on can cause the leak - I'm guessing. Try it yourself if you ever have one end dripping. Worth a shot....

Just FYI
    Go to home depot and get a set of kitchen drain washers the big rubber ones and no more leakes

I sanded the lip of the drum down on mine. It was significantly not-flat. A little silicone grease on the rubber seal and just hand snug will do it.
    Known traffic menace

Boolit Master
    I just rub on a little bees wax on both sides of the rubber ring. Sort of lubricates the ring, easy to tighten enough to not leak.

Boolit Master

Only time mine leaked I discovered an errant pin between the gasket and end cap flange. I always leave one end cap tight and fill / empty through the other one.
    Both threaded end cap collars are standard right hand thread so turning the drum end for end changes nothing. The clear end cap flange squeezes the gasket onto the drum to seal the water in. The threads don’t seal anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Only time mine leaked I discovered an errant pin between the gasket and end cap flange. I always leave one end cap tight and fill / empty through the other one.
    Both threaded end cap collars are standard right hand thread so turning the drum end for end changes nothing. The clear end cap flange squeezes the gasket onto the drum to seal the water in. The threads don’t seal anything.
    I know that's its not logical, but it has worked for me every time so far. Guess I have to make a video.
    BTW: I just got through doing 12 full drum tumbles.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    You are not crazy. Or, we both are. I have witnessed this.
    It's like there's a spiral pathway, such that it only leaks when turning in the correct direction.
    I suppose a pin, under the gasket, at the right angle could have that effect. Sort of like a check valve.
    Or we've lost it. Or these things are haunted.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine did leak the first few times I tried it after purchasing it. I discovered that the rubber seals/rings aren't cut exactly round or wide enough to create a good seal. What I do now after loading my water, brass, and pins is to dry the lip of the drum, the rubber ring, and the cap squeaky dry and when while screwing the lid I focus on keeping that gasket centered on the lip of the drum as perfectly as I can...this guarantees me a leak proof cycle everytime.

Boolit Mold
    Mine started leaking right from the get-go, tried everything and FA even sent some new gaskets....but this tool really helped like the OP stated:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274891427753

Boolit Buddy
    I have yet to have a leak. But I haven't used it in awhile. So I hope I just didn't jink myself!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cryhavoc View Post
    Mine started leaking right from the get-go, tried everything and FA even sent some new gaskets....but this tool really helped like the OP stated:
    Looks like a wire wheel lug nut knock wrench.

Boolit Master
    I keep the lip and gasket clean. That and the occasional use of a bit of lubricant on the gasket makes it easier to snug down the lid (by hand) to avoid leaks.

Mine has never leaked. What am I doing wrong?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I really like my little Franklin Arsenal rotary pin tumbler. Even bought a second tumbler. The seal and mating surfaces have to be wiped clean each time the drum is emptied and check and see if a pin didn't get lodged under the seal. Your idea of reversing the drum so that the lid does not rotate because of the tumble direction is a good one. Thanks for the post.