Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work bench build

Boolit Master

Work bench build

Since I got retired from where I worked I’m sure missing the nice shop there. We had a 20 ft work bench with a vise in the middle which was mounted over one of the bench legs. 8ft is about as long as will fit here at the house. For the placement of your vise where would you place it? In the middle or at one end over a leg.
    Thanks

It really depends on what you're using your vise for?
    Also how much room you have for longer projects, or how heavy the project might be? Would designate placement for me.
    Generally I would install my vise at the end of my bench, to utilize more room on the bench when not using the vise.

Is the bench made of wood or steel? I have made brackets using 2" receiver material mounted to the corners and in the middle of my bench to accept 2" square stock to which is mounted a plate that holds my vise. I can now move the vise to any location I need it on the bench, or leave it off for a smooth top bench when needed. I have also used the 2" square stock for mounting grinders, anvil blocks, reloading press etc. Takes a little longer to build this feature into a bench but well worth it in the long run.
    The 82nd Airborne Taught Us To Make the Rules Not Follow Them Like Sheeple

Moderator Emeritus

Also depends on the type of vice and what you will use it for. Mine is a heavier one and it sits at the end of the bench over a leg. A smaller one could do well in something that greybuff mentioned - similar to Inline fan's docking stations.

J, I had mine made 42" high for gun work. It's great. Legs are 4x4"s with leveling bolts underneath, top kinda funky but I beat it up a lot. Probably change it some time. 2 Vises; one 4" on end, and a small one next to it for fine work.
    Good luck, Max

Boolit Grand Master

Make your bench in the old way mortise tenon and doweled joints forget the nails screws and bolts. For a heavy use vise I prefer a stand alone vise on a post bolted or poured in the floor. This way it can be mounted at the height best for it, and you can work around it from 3 or 4 sides. Mounted on a bench if the bench is correct height the vise is high if the vise is right the bench is low.
    I prefer a corner mounted vise as the vise can be worked at from 2 sides and 2 vises can be mounted. I have a parrot vise on the right corner, this is a very versatile light vise for fine work, and a 5" wilton on the left corner, this is a heavy vise with rotating jaws and body. Both are mounted so that the back jaw is ahead of the bench edge so long work can hang down past the front of the bench. They are also close enough in height that long work can be held in both.

The versa vise ( parrot) is able to lay flat stand up rotate in horizontal plane and with the adapter rotate in vertical plane. Its not a supper heavy vise but is very versatile and work with. Its meant for finer more delicate work.
    If I come across a 6-8" heavy vise it will be mounted on a post in the floor as mentioned above but its not a high need item in my shop.

I always put my vice on the end/corner.
    So far, I've always been happy with it there.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I’m using a 2 inch thick solid core door as the top with 4x4 legs. Hopefully in couple years I’ll be moving to a place with less house and more shop room so I’ll use bolts and screws so I can take it apart for the move and put back together at new place.
    greybuff would you happen to have a pic of the bracket mounts you mentioned?
    Thanks all

Windows and light are more important to me than other geographic issues. I have two,both in front of a window.... one is at,say the 20 yard line,the other is at a corner...both over a leg. Once in a great while they get used in tandem.

The corner location is a touch more versatile. But this is a "live" end(dead end is,you can't see the end of the bench. Live=access to end).

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not use a vice often in the reloading shop and normally it is for light duty work. I have mounted one on an In-Line plate and use the "docking" system they offer.

For real shop work, I prefer the vice mounted at the end of the bench so it is not the way for doing other work. But what you do and what you work on will guide you. If in doubt, set it up so it can be moved.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Vote for corner location here although the moveable option sounds nice. I tend to smash on the vise with big hammers so over the leg is paramount.

Boolit Grand Master

Another very versatile vise is grizzlys pattern makers vise. jaws swivel so it can hold tapered or straight parts.

Another way to go and these are interesting but some work to make is a leg vise that is part of one leg.Being a part of the bench they can be lower than a mounted vise. Being made from wood they dont marr and they hold good. a hinged on a dowel outer jaw with a thread runs along the leg up to just above bench top. this opens and closes as needed and the threaded rod clamps thru the leverage provided. Holes can be drilled in bench top for dogs and it can clamp quite a range of widths.

Boolit Buddy
    Best location for a vice I ever saw was on a pipe in the middle of the garage. Socket in the concrete floor to receive the pipe. The gentleman who set this up built longrifles and was very good at it. He remarked that he could work all the way around the vice. It was about 3 feet from his bench.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing that makes the post mounted vise so handy is they can be height adjustable. Sawing filing and most operations are mush easier with better control when working at the right height. Being able to get in a good solid position helps also.

The post mounted vise in the tool room was a 8" Colombian with copper jaws. The post was adjustable for height. Draw filling was much easier and quicker with it, Height could be set to where body weight did the work not so much muscle. Another plus was you could see what you were doing easier when at the right height. This height is also dependent on the parts being worked on.

I was able to rescue some cypress wood from a building that had been torn down and used it to build another work bench. Pretty strong table for scrap wood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test-1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	326005

Boolit Master

I miss my old bench, it had a 1/4" thick stainless top that was 3'x10'

Vice mounted at the end of my 16’ bench over one of the 6x6 legs.

Boolit Master
    I have one mounted at the center of one end of a bench and one at the front left corner of another bench.

I’ve thought about a parrot vise on a quick release plate, but haven’t done it yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have several. Bench mounted has plenty of room on both sides. I also took a 4" cast pipe and welded it to a car wheel, filled the base with concrete and welded a flat on the center top to receive the vise. Very stable and easy to roll around.

Boolit Master

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondolane View Post
    I was able to rescue some cypress wood from a building that had been torn down and used it to build another work bench. Pretty strong table for scrap wood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test-1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	326005
    That is a fine looking work bench ! It’s always nice to run across some nice wood and find a way to re-purpose it. Something to be proud of .
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!