Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: J-Word Boolit ID?

Boolit Buddy

J-Word Boolit ID?

I have acquired a few J-Words that I haven't ID'd yet. They are .308 diameter, military, 145 gr., with a maroon colored painted tip. As can be seen in the photo they are a closed based tracer at a minimum. What other properties they may possess is unknown. They do attract a magnet, but so does a standard .30 tracer.

Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20240423_154353586 resized.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	325975

Name:	PXL_20240423_154218719 resized.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	325976

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Tracer by the looks of them, could be a IR tracer and not a visible one perhaps

Boolit Buddy
    The color is similar to that used on Soviet/Russian API or APIT ammo but those should be .310-.312" diameter. Perhaps a straight incendiary round?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    The color is similar to that used on Soviet/Russian API or APIT ammo but those should be .310-.312" diameter. Perhaps a straight incendiary round?
    It’s a tracer, they call out blue for incendiary rounds, tracers can be orange, red,maroon brown, purple ect, as there is red, green, dim, and IR tracers as far as I know
    I seen some of these for sale a while ago on here https://www.cdvs.us/product-category/tracer-ammo/

They currently have purple and orange tipped ones

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    I have acquired a few J-Words that I haven't ID'd yet. They are .308 diameter, military, 145 gr., with a maroon colored painted tip. As can be seen in the photo they are a closed based tracer at a minimum. What other properties they may possess is unknown. They do attract a magnet, but so does a standard .30 tracer.

Any ideas?

Name:	PXL_20240423_154353586 resized.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	325975

Name:	PXL_20240423_154218719 resized.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	325976
    145gr with a red tip is likely M1, M2, or M2 alternate pulled down from .30-06. I'd guess M2 alternate since you said they're magnetic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-06...#United_States

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by buyobuyo View Post
    145gr with a red tip is likely M1, M2, or M2 alternate pulled down from .30-06. I'd guess M2 alternate since you said they're magnetic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-06...#United_States
    As noted, they have maroon tips, not red. Red tip would have been WWII vintage tracers (later changed to orange post WWII). M2 would be black tip - AP. The maroon appears to be the M62A1 tracers as noted by RyanJames170.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Boolit Grand Master

The Cannelure isn't correct for the M62A1 bullet.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/7-...cer/16-729936/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The Cannelure isn't correct for the M62A1 bullet.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/7-...cer/16-729936/
    Nice catch! Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of sectioning a bullet but am a bit hesitant as I don't want to discover that it has an incendiary element...

Boolit Buddy
    My guess from reading is that maroon is variation allowed on the color red, NATO calls for red not orange for its tracers, http://www.cartrology.com/cartridges/1544 there is example of a German 7.62x51 NATO tracer with a maroon tip