WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Winchester Factory 303 Brit Ammo

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.

Winchester Factory 303 Brit Ammo

Here is one from way out in Left Field:

I have Winchester load data that indicates they (at least once upon a time) loaded 150gr bullets on top of 748 powder in 303 British.
    I was curious to here from the folks in the know how their mileage is/was with Winchester factory ammo.

I have been loading with BL-C2 with very good results, but I find myself with a fair chunk of 748 that could use a good home (it didn't fair well with my 7.5 MAS loads).

The table is open...
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    May have to check some older books to see of there is, I'm not near my lee and Hornaday books but nothing is on Hodgdon website for 748 and 303 brit 150gr tips.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Fourth Edition of Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading doesn't list 748 for 150gr. 303 projectiles. Just FYI.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Speer Reloading manual #10 for rifle and pistol doesn't list it either.
    760 was listed in both examples so far.

Loaddata has a listing attributed to MODERN RELOADING Second Edition - Richard Lee, that shows 748 with 150 grain bullets.

I'm not on my laptop where I can retrieve the load data.

Never used the load data in the 303B, so I can't speak to how well it works, just that data exists.

Good luck.

The data I have is from a Winchester publication. The intel I am looking for is from folks that have used, or are using, Winchester factory ammunition.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

If Winchester says they did it, they probably did it. The .303 has been around for so long that it's been through black powder, cordite, ball powder, stick powder, and who knows what else. I got my first L.E. No.1 Mk III* in 1956 and had some surplus ammo made by Win., probably in WW II. At the time, being only age 14 I wasn't into reloading, so can only say that it shot just fine. It was FMJ, powder unknown. Later in life when I became a reloader I almost exclusively used H4895 and had my best results using 174 gr. JRNSP bullets by Hornady. A load that seemed to work well in what eventually became over a dozen L.E. of various marks and makes was 39.3 gr. H4895.
    I don't see why 748 wouldn't work in .303 as I've used it extensively in .30-30 Win. Modern Reloading, Second Edition, Richard Lee, shows a 748 Load for 180 gr. jacketed bullets of 36.8 gr. (start) and 39.8 gr. (max.) on page 501.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    The data I have is from a Winchester publication. The intel I am looking for is from folks that have used, or are using, Winchester factory ammunition.
    Oh. Sorry. I did enjoy thumbing through my reloading manuals though.

Hey! Thumbing through old reloading (and sometimes the new ones!) manuals is great fun! That's how I discovered IMR 4831 for 6.5 Swede!

I have a couple of Winchester load pamphlets, plus have come across a couple more in electronic form. Only recently stumbled across the 303 load data, showing 748 powder. That's what got my gears grinding. I have habitually used BL-C2 for many years, as it is much more agreeable with my Lewis. Shoots real good out of my P14, as well. Other than Prvi, I haven't bought factory 303 since the 1980's.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    If Winchester says they did it, they probably did it. The .303 has been around for so long that it's been through black powder, cordite, ball powder, stick powder, and who knows what else. I got my first L.E. No.1 Mk III* in 1956 and had some surplus ammo made by Win., probably in WW II. At the time, being only age 14 I wasn't into reloading, so can only say that it shot just fine. It was FMJ, powder unknown. Later in life when I became a reloader I almost exclusively used H4895 and had my best results using 174 gr. JRNSP bullets by Hornady. A load that seemed to work well in what eventually became over a dozen L.E. of various marks and makes was 39.3 gr. H4895.
    I don't see why 748 wouldn't work in .303 as I've used it extensively in .30-30 Win. Modern Reloading, Second Edition, Richard Lee, shows a 748 Load for 180 gr. jacketed bullets of 36.8 gr. (start) and 39.8 gr. (max.) on page 501.

DG

Boolit Master

Can't tell you much about the factory stuff, only that the dusty attic of my brain clearly recalls seeing factory 150 grain scattered here and there.

50th Edition Lyman lists a starting charge/velocity of 39.0gr/2149 fps and a max of 43.5gr/2523 fps for a 150gr jacketed spitzer soft point. No pressure figures given for the cartridge in ANY of their loads, but it's the most helpful link I've got.

No 748 data in my 4th edition Hornady manual that my Dad purchased to get us started back in the '80's.

The .303 data in the 15th edition of Cartridges of the World is pretty convoluted: it's in three places in that book, and only the American Sporting Cartridges section has actual load data instead of specs for factory ammo, but only listings for IMR 4895, 4064, RL15, and N140.

You've probably already been to Hodgdon's reloading data site. 748 is there, but no links for it to the .303.

Going off to visit the Old Man this morning - I'll check his library for other options.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I found data for 748, but with the little 100 gr plinker. (old Speer book)

I'm not familiar with 748, but it's in the right burn rate zone with other acceptable powders for what you're doing. If you've got Winchester data with it, I'd go for it. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    If you have a P14 or Ross ,you can use 308 data ..........for SMLEs or Martini Enfields ,data for a 30/40 Krag ,or a 7.65 Mauser are OK...........between 30/40 ,7.65 ,and 303 ,you will have pretty good spread of data.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Fourth Edition of Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading doesn't list 748 for 150gr. 303 projectiles. Just FYI.
    my hornady book (third edition) lists winchester 760 for the 303 .....top load 50 grains for 2600FPS under the 150 grain spire point

have not done it but reckon that 760 load would be a full case or maybe even a little compression ?

I loaded 303/25 up to 44 grains of 760 - was right at the bullet base using a 75 grain HP

woulda thought w748 suit the 303 case ok at say 37 to 42 grains max ???????

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Can't tell you much about the factory stuff, only that the dusty attic of my brain clearly recalls seeing factory 150 grain scattered here and there.

50th Edition Lyman lists a starting charge/velocity of 39.0gr/2149 fps and a max of 43.5gr/2523 fps for a 150gr jacketed spitzer soft point. No pressure figures given for the cartridge in ANY of their loads, but it's the most helpful link I've got.

No 748 data in my 4th edition Hornady manual that my Dad purchased to get us started back in the '80's.

The .303 data in the 15th edition of Cartridges of the World is pretty convoluted: it's in three places in that book, and only the American Sporting Cartridges section has actual load data instead of specs for factory ammo, but only listings for IMR 4895, 4064, RL15, and N140.

You've probably already been to Hodgdon's reloading data site. 748 is there, but no links for it to the .303.

Going off to visit the Old Man this morning - I'll check his library for other options.
    Using a 150 grain Sierra SP, Win 748 and 24" barrel, QL gives the following:

39.0 gn: 2389 fps, 30,001 psi
    43.5 gn: 2651 fps, 40,413 psi

Using a 150 grain SP, Win 748 and 22" barrel, QL gives the following:

39.0 gn: 2336 fps, 30,001 psi
    43.5 gn: 2597 fps, 40,413 psi
    Last edited by Pirate69; Today at 07:51 AM.