Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Trigger action of Ruger SP101 needs adjustment

Boolit Master

Trigger action of Ruger SP101 needs adjustment

Compared with my friend Laurie's 357 Magnum S&W 640 no dash double action trigger is between 2 and 3 time heavier and much less smooth. How can I reduce double action trigger's weight while maintaining reliable ignition. Single action ignition obviously will remain reliable. I use the SP101 almost exclusively double action.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Buddy

Look for a site called ==MaCarbo== Veterans ownedand operated They offer spring kits and a very good video on how to slick up the little Ruger
    GW

Boolit Master
    I only have the sample of one gun but I got a SP101 in 38 Special years ago for my wife to use as a home defense gun. She is a small woman and it became imediately obvious that she didn't have enought hand strength to fire it double action reliably. So I got a Wolf spring kit and swapped out everything that came in it to the lightest springs in the kit. Started getting some misfires so had to go up one increment stronger hammer spring and that problem went away. I'm mainly a rifle or shotgun shooter but I've got several friends who know double action revolvers better and they all say the gun feels like it's had an action job by a gunsmith. All I know is that it feels mighty smooth and light to me. A spring kit is easy and cheap to try.

Boolit Master
    Many folks do swap out springs & such with good results.

However,, a good action job can be had w/o spring changes. My wife & a few other ladies in our family have & carry SP-101's. All have had an "action cleaning & smoothing" to where they are sweet shooters. Even my mother had her's done prior to her passing. She passed at 80.

Due to design,, the S&W actions seem to lend themselves to a better feel. But I've seen way too many Rugers smoothed up that can rival most S&W's to where folks who are die-hard S&W fans admit how good they are.

If you are handy,, they aren't too hard to work on.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've had bad results in changing out springs in the past, sometimes not enough poop to pop the primer. My best solution has been to dry fire hundreds of times while sitting on my butt in the evenings.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Honing the action up to match with correct angles and a bright smooth finish is preferable to changing out springs, the only spring I change out is the trigger return spring. Changing the mainspring to a lighter spring can cause miss fires and other issues. Even if no misfires poor ignition can result from light hits.

If you can have a smith do a true trigger job leaving the springs.

If this is a new gun I would also recommend either firing 400-500 rounds or dryfire this may smooth up the action quite a bit. Most gunsmiths want that amount of use before doing a trigger job. The old relvovers smooth triggers arnt always from a trigger job but years of use smoothing and wearing the parts together.

Boolit Master
    Every SP101 I've handled has had a butter smooth action. The main issue is the heavy trigger pull. Not a problem for me with my gun, but for others I could see where it would be a problem. I definitely would try to Wolff Springs kit. The SP101 is a fine weapon. If you can get the trigger pull to a more acceptable level for you to shoot it'll make you a very nice piece to pass down to the next generation.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!