Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Unbelieably Riveting Account Of Bastogne From WWII Vet Who Fought There

Vendor Sponsor

Unbelieably Riveting Account Of Bastogne From WWII Vet Who Fought There

This is a 56 minute account of a WWII veteran who fought in the battle of the bulge. I can't post the whole video but you can FF through to about 27:35 where the story of Bastogne begins. This is probably the best told WWII story I have ever heard, hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDHp9-kWd2g

And now we know where "Airborne Beer" got it's name!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bouillon-airborne-pack-6x13l-1-helmet.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	325925
    Last edited by DougGuy; 04-21-2024 at 05:35 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Enjoyed it. Thanks for posting it.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for that. He had a nice way of speaking. God Bless him and all, the others that serve(d).

Boolit Buddy
    Those men are true warriors for America, sometimes wonder what they would think of what their country has become

Boolit Master

My Wifes uncle was a fuel truck driver for Gen. Patton armored division.
    He was there. It was a horrific battle.
    He didn`t want to talk about it much.
    Tears filled his old eyes when he did.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the link; tagged w/ my post so I can watch it later, thx.

Boolit Master
    My dad was with the fourth armored, 24 armored engineers battalion as a recon platoon officer and was with the march to breakout Bastogne. I guess he is one of the few that would talk of his time in WWII as he told me many stories of his exploits.

My Uncle was in Bastogne as a medic with the 82nd - it broke his mind. I never really had a chance to talk to him while he was alive. My Stepfather was with the Troop Transport Command ferrying fuel up to Patton's tanks in C47s. They truly were the Greatest Generation, and we simply cannot hold a candle to them

My dad was Army 9th division. Was at the "Bulge". He never fully got over the frostbite from there. IIRC,it was a record cold for the area that winter?

Boolit Master
    An uncle I never got to meet was KIA there 1-1-45.

Boolit Buddy
    My grandfather was a corporal in the 26th Infantry Division. The 26th was south of the bulge but turned north as part of the American counterattack. He said he was put at a crossroads overnight to direct traffic and that was the coldest he ever was in his life. He stamped his feet and beat his arms against his chest to stay warm all night.

Late in his life I asked him about the war. He said he'd never really told anyone about his experiences because he just wanted to get home to my grandmother and raise a family. He raised a family of 11 children. He told me to not tell my grandmother but that his experience in the war was the most important thing he'd done in his life. I haven't been there to relate, but I can imagine the experiences of war including killing people and having your friends killed around you has a profound effect on someone.

He's been gone 20 years now.

Boolit Master
    Doug,

Thanks for this video. I had 6 uncles in WWII, some Marines, some Navy and some Army. In 1960, in 10th grade History, Mr. John Hepp was my favorite history teacher. He was a 1st. Lt. of the 101st, in Bastonge in December 1944. He told my class he was Officer of the Day on the sector when the German envoys came up under a white flag to talk surrender with the commander. They were blindfolded and put in a jeep and sent to HQ.

Later, they returned and their blindfolds were removed. A German captain asked Hepp in German, "Nietze, Nietze, was bedeautet Nietze." (Nuts, nuts, what does nuts mean.) John's 1st Sgt was from PA and spoke German. John asked his sgt if he could translate. He said he could and did. Mr. Hepp said, "I do not know what the sergeant told those Krauts, but 30 minutes later they shelled us much!"

Be well.

Adam