RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Wasp Rice Shot Loads: .38/.45LC

Shot a wasp on the ceiling of my deck roof and left a big dent from the wax wad. I am reluctantly going back and capping the rice with a cardboard wad. So I don't have to crimp I melted a thin skin of wax over the wad and it locks it in place. Went out and shot a pine board and the new setup does not leave a wad dent from 2ft but did leave rice dents.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240503_162313.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	326242

Cereal box wad covered rice on the left vs the thick wax wad on the right.

Name:	20240503_170004.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	326243

And a trophy kill. Small horsefly on the porch taken down from 6ft away.

Name:	20240503_160010.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	326245
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Buddy
    Loaded some magtec 410 brass shells. Got home from work the other day and my wife was chasing one around and I said "hold up, I got some medicine that will fix it". Went to the basement and popped a shell in my son's pointer 410 and came back up to the porch. Smoked that one. was going to try the 38spl load but I ran out of time before church so I just swatted two more with a badminton racket. Not nearly as fun as shooting them but effective.

Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    Loaded some magtec 410 brass shells. Got home from work the other day and my wife was chasing one around and I said "hold up, I got some medicine that will fix it". Went to the basement and popped a shell in my son's pointer 410 and came back up to the porch. Smoked that one. was going to try the 38spl load but I ran out of time before church so I just swatted two more with a badminton racket. Not nearly as fun as shooting them but effective.
    You loading with rice? Those .410 shells would be awesome in my derringer.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    You loading with rice? Those .410 shells would be awesome in my derringer.
    Yes. Rice, tumbling media and what ever else I can find of the like. I'm on the hunt for some smaller seeds of some kind kind of like bird seed without the larger stuff

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    Yes. Rice, tumbling media and what ever else I can find of the like. I'm on the hunt for some smaller seeds of some kind kind of like bird seed without the larger stuff
    I tested some mustard seed. Worked ok, but the pattern opened up a little fast with my revolver. Might work for you, though.

Shot a wasp on the ceiling of my deck roof and left a big dent from the wax wad. I am reluctantly going back and capping the rice with a cardboard wad. So I don't have to crimp I melted a thin skin of wax over the wad and it locks it in place. Went out and shot a pine board and the new setup does not leave a wad dent from 2ft but did leave rice dents.

Name:	20240503_162313.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	326242

Cereal box wad covered rice on the left vs the thick wax wad on the right.

Name:	20240503_170004.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	326243

And a trophy kill. Small horsefly on the porch taken down from 6ft away.

Name:	20240503_160010.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	326245
    Are you going to have it mounted?

Boolit Buddy
    I am reluctantly going back and capping the rice with a cardboard wad. So I don't have to crimp I melted a thin skin of wax over the wad and it locks it in place.
    I've been thinking about the wear & tear on my brass since you posted this. I got to thinking that rice load doesn't weight much (14.5gn in my load) and there's no recoil. Is wax, glue, crimping, or anything really necessary?

I loaded a few for testing. Tried to pound one apart in my hand (simulating a bullet puller) and got nowhere. Shot 4 before all bees & lizards disappeared. (Yes, it does a number on a skink. Be ready to finish him so he doesn't have to die slow.) I checked after each shot and there was no sign of movement. I did make sure the over shot wads had no creases or other defects. Mine are made from Winchester primer box.

I imagine there's no reason to clean or size the fired brass either, unless you want to put it in a different firearm.