MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Crimp For 38-55 BPCR Cartridge

Boolit Mold

Crimp For 38-55 BPCR Cartridge

I load 40-65 and 45-70 for BPCR and use the Lyman taper crimp die. I just bought an 1875 C. Sharps chambered in 38-55 and noticed Lyman does not offer a taper crimp die. I see where Buffalo Arms offers a taper crimp die made by CH4D. Is there another option anyone has used for this caliber?

Boolit Master

I never had a taper crimp die. I neck sized with a Redding 38-56 die, expanded with an M style and seated. This made for a tight fit with most bullets. I used the Lyman 379764 (?) 440 grainer. It was a consistent ram killer. Same rifle. Check your to see if the barrel is straight out of the reciever. Mine is not. A fellow shooter turned me on to that. He sent his back to get fixed. I shot mine as is and was plenty happy.
    I have several dies etc from CH4D and have no complaints.

Boolit Mold
    Ascast interesting you mention the barrel alignment. I noticed the sights were offset a good bit. I used a Lazer bore sight and had some issue getting sights aligned without being offset. I plan to shoot a few rounds to check sight alignment. Thanks for the info on your die and boolit details.

Boolit Grand Master

Almost all of my BPCR are single shots so I dont crimp I hand seat most ammo. Bushing dies are good as you can adjust neck tension as needed. A roll or taper crimp done seperatly from seating should be okay.
    In 38-55 there arnt many get arounds to use. A lyman, rcbs or the ch4d dies would be options.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks country gent for the info.

Boolit Master

re: the barrel thing--if you have a straight cleaning rod - press a section up against the receiver such that the rest pokes out to the front sight. Then try the other side. My buddy at the club showed me that when I brought out my nice new shiny rifle ( used but new to me). I ignored it all and found the gun shoots better than I can. Front sight noticably off to the side. when you get there, the Hoch 300 or 310 grn over 21 grn IMR 4198 is a smoking load. Start low and work up, of course.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    re: the barrel thing--if you have a straight cleaning rod - press a section up against the receiver such that the rest pokes out to the front sight. Then try the other side. My buddy at the club showed me that when I brought out my nice new shiny rifle ( used but new to me). I ignored it all and found the gun shoots better than I can. Front sight noticably off to the side. when you get there, the Hoch 300 or 310 grn over 21 grn IMR 4198 is a smoking load. Start low and work up, of course.
    Great idea for the rod! Many thanks for the load data.