RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: .32 H&R / HP-38 / TiteGroup help / Missouri Bullet Co

Boolit Mold

.32 H&R / HP-38 / TiteGroup help / Missouri Bullet Co

Ok, go easy on me, first post on this board.

Recently acquired a S&W 432UC and it's fantastic. Long time loader here for 35 years but this not much in wheel guns other than .38 spcl.

Anyway I'm heavily stocked in TG, plus I have 2lbs of HP-38. I've (2) sample packs from Missouri Bullet, both Hi-Tek coated. The target 98gr WC-BB and the cowboy #6 100gr RNFP. The problem I'm having is locating a reliable source of data for these using TG or HP38. Seems stuff is all over the place or not applicable. I was going to order one of the LoadBooks for .32 H&R but not sure if there will be anything I can extrapolate into a working load.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel or push the envelope just, looking for a safe reliable target load that hits to the sights and uses the powder / primers I have stockpiled. I'm not opposed to adding a pound of another powder if absolutely necessary but I feel like HP-38 should do the trick?

Thanks all!

I have good luck with 3.5 HP-38/231 and 3.5 Green Dot with the 100 grainer.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog941 View Post
    I have good luck with 3.5 HP-38/231 and 3.5 Green Dot with the 100 grainer.
    Thanks for the quick reply! See this what I find kind of confusing, Hodgon shows 3.7 MAX of HP38 on a Speer Jacketed 100gr, so for a coated cast wouldn't this be over max?

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve had good luck with TiteGroup in 32h&r mag. About 3.2gr under a 100-110gr boolit.

I’ve had zero issues using jacketed data for cast, but start low and work up.
    As long as I’m .01-.02 over groove size I’ve had zero leading even with max loads in my Ruger.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Master
    I too use Tightgroup in the 32 H&R Ruger revolver guns. 3.5 for RCBS 32 semi wad cutter and I reduce the 98 grain wadcutter to 2.3 grains. Accurate and fun.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MStarmer View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! See this what I find kind of confusing, Hodgon shows 3.7 MAX of HP38 on a Speer Jacketed 100gr, so for a coated cast wouldn't this be over max?
    If you study alot of manuals you will see cast in two lights. First is swedged which is loaded dead soft, second is for cast bullets which often have a few grains more than jacketed as the friction is higher with jacketed. Coating it puts you somewhere in the middle, with out the slipperiness of lead but still slicker than copper.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    If you study alot of manuals you will see cast in two lights. First is swedged which is loaded dead soft, second is for cast bullets which often have a few grains more than jacketed as the friction is higher with jacketed. Coating it puts you somewhere in the middle, with out the slipperiness of lead but still slicker than copper.
    Yep I'm usually a plated bullet shooter, using proven, easy to replicate factory loads. Funny how many plated bullet companies aren't even out there anymore. Both the ranges I frequent are strictly no lead, even coated bullets were frowned upon. I had recently talked with both and powder coated projectiles are ok at this point. Looking for .32's brought me to Acme and MBC, so going forward I'll look at jacketed data and work up. Feel free to keep adding HP38/W231 and Titegroup loads for the MBC's! Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    This above. I’m shooting a Ruger SSM. I’ve never chrono’d it but my estimates are ~1000 fps. I don’t get any leading.

Boolit Buddy
    Loaded 100 rounds of 32 H&R this last weekend with a 95 grain HBWC seated just a little above flush with 2.3 grs of HP38. Took the load out of the Hornady book for their 98 gr WC (I think discontinued now). I'm shooting out of 2 of the original Ruger Single Sixes with adjustable sights. I'm only looking for about 700fps for an accurate paper punching load with that skirted bullet.

Boolit Mold
    I finally found one of the the all in one load data books for .32 H&R so I can double check and verify some acceptable loads. I ended up loading a test batch of 3.0gr of HP-38 with the MBC DEWC.

I found that load on the Pistol-Forum.com, looks like right where I want to be, credit to CCT125US.

I believe this is where I will settle in.

432UC
    .32 H&R Mag.
    MBC 98gr DEWC
    3.0gr Win. 231
    1.145 OAL
    Starline brass
    CCI SPP

817, 808, 801, 811, 802, 822, 831, 807, 800, 805, 820

Average: 811
    SD: 9.5
    ES: 31

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    Loaded 100 rounds of 32 H&R this last weekend with a 95 grain HBWC seated just a little above flush with 2.3 grs of HP38. Took the load out of the Hornady book for their 98 gr WC (I think discontinued now). I'm shooting out of 2 of the original Ruger Single Sixes with adjustable sights. I'm only looking for about 700fps for an accurate paper punching load with that skirted bullet.
    The Hornady HBWC was/is 90 gr. The Speer HBWC was/is 98 gr.

I load either in Starline 32 H&R cases over 2.3 gr Bullseye which give excellent accuracy and small game performance at 800 fps +/- out of my 6 1/2" original run SSingle Six. Your load should be close to the same with TG powder.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Larry,
    I should have added more info in my original post. The bullet is from National Bullet Company (purchased here on the site with several boxes of other .32 cal bullets years ago), smooth sided hollow base wadcutter but coated, is marked as 95 grain but actually weighs around 102 - 103 grains. Not a great bullet but makes ok light loads out of the Rugers.

The 2.3 grs of HP-38 (WW-231) is only getting 700 - 750 fps with this heavy bullet, but is really all the velocity I want. I've been loading some of my least used / older powders with some of the odd bullets I've acquired over the years, saving the Bullseye in particular for the 2.7 grs 38 wadcutter loads (just loaded another 1k on my Star). For example, I've been shooting 20.0 grs of WW-630 with 420 gr 457193 molded sometime in the early 1970s in my 45-70.

I always appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I wish I had a book of all your tests and posts.
    Steve
    Last edited by curiousgeorge; Today at 10:38 AM.