RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Panic in the casting/reloading room

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - LOOKS LIKE - "TAPERED pipe threads are driving ya'll nuts...."

Boolit Grand Master

What should work is to get a new plug so you have the best threads possible. Coat the new plug with 3-4 coats of wax or other release agent J-B weld, plasti steel, bisonite, or other epoxy with a steel base. mix according to instructions. Put a light coat in the threads in the hole. then a coat on the threaded plug screw together and let cure. The goal is to get a full coat on the threads with out to much being pushed inside. If theres room a small boss around the hole could be made with clay giving more threads to hold. Keep in mind doing it this way will result in a zero clearance thread fit, They will be tight all the way. Especially with J-B weld or bisonite as they both slightly expand when hardening.

I recently fixed a water pump housing with J-B weld where an ear had broken off. cleaned the joint good and glued it giving a light coat inside over the joint. By cleaned good I wire brushed it then precision green solvent a couple times then mild heat to burn out any moisture or oils.Used a couple hose clamps to hold the lip in alignment and location. Let cure over night. next day removed clamp cleanded up over runs and assembled could tighten up the broken ear as tight as the other 3 but it holds and no leaks at 60 psi.

J-B weld is good and holds where you dont want the heat od brazing or soldering.

Being cast iron you could braze up the hole re drill and tap, but you would have to disassemble the whole base really clean and then preferably pre heat the base to keep from cracking.

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA sez - LOOKS LIKE - "TAPERED pipe threads are driving ya'll nuts...."
    I do not have one of these or any experience with them, but why in the world would they have pipe threads?

Boolit Grand Master

27 threads per inch is a pipe thread pitch also a British and bicycle standard.

Boolit Master
    Hokey smokes...Send it to me...I will pay shipping back to you...Fixed... No Biggie...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Find the nearest Independent Harley Mechanic...Preferably Grey Bearded...He can definitely Fix That!!!
    If I was Closer...a No Brainer
    “Independent Harley Mechanic” and “Grey Bearded” is redundant in your description, made more so if you throw in “Tatooed”.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
    I like your "heater" 45DUDE !
    I have a 6 cavity H&G 50 bnwc mold bought at the same time as the Star. Some times in cold weather a Christmas tree bulb works for heat.<stays on until it burns out.>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123