Load DataRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 32.20 + Power Pistol ?

Boolit Buddy

32.20 + Power Pistol ?

I'm finally ready to start loading for my very, very early 1900's '92 Win 32.20. It has been cleaned and checked over by a trusted gunsmith, and is in very good shape for its age.

I am wanting to try using Power Pistol (powder), but I'm having a hard time finding any load info. My bullet is from an Arsonal Molds 311008 124 gr. mold.

I would like to know how much powder to use.

Some people can be kind of leary about giving out load info. If tha is you, I completely understand. If you could just point me to some published data, that would be great too! Thanks

Boolit Master

On the Alliant web sight. I'd back it off a bit since your using a heavier bullet.
    https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...=8&cartridge=7
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    On the Alliant web sight. I'd back it off a bit since your using a heavier bullet.
    https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...=8&cartridge=7
    No .32-20 data there I could find.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Man
    Alliant lists a charge of 4.4 grs for a 98 gr bullet. Thats the only load they list. For my 32-20 loads for Cowboy shooting I load 3.3 gr 231m or HP38 for 115 gr bullet.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by TGM View Post
    Alliant lists a charge of 4.4 grs for a 98 gr bullet. Thats the only load they list. For my 32-20 loads for Cowboy shooting I load 3.3 gr 231m or HP38 for 115 gr bullet.
    In the Cowboy load section?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    32-20 data is in both the Cowboy and Rifle load sections. Power Pistol powder is listed only for Cowboy loads.

I just looked in Load Data, which is a sponsor of this site, and they don't list PP with any bullet heavier than 100 grains.

32-20 shoots very accuarate with 1680. Been useing it for years.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would start @ 3.8 grains of PP with your 311-008 clone and nudge it up .2 grains at a time to a max of 4.6 grains, stopping when I got best accuracy. I might go higher, if the gun was newly made, but with a ~120 year old antique??? RCBS listed some fairly warm loads for their 311-316 clone (nominally 115 grains), but no power pistol. The Cowboy Loads listed by Alliant strike me as pretty safe, (as in light.)
    Last edited by rintinglen; 04-18-2024 at 01:08 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Those loads are pretty much all I've been able to find too. I don't have any experience with Power Pistol, otherwise I would do some careful extrapolating using the burn charts and the few 115 gr. loads that I've been able to find. I was going to ask if 5 grs. would be to much, so rintin's suggestion of 4.6 max would be safer.

Boolit Buddy
    OK, I did find P.P. in the burn charts on the Internet. Just not In my physical manuals here at home. They all show PP to be #34 and Unique to be #32. So really close.
    Last edited by Schreck5; 04-19-2024 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schreck5 View Post
    I'm finally ready to start loading for my very, very early 1900's '92 Win 32.20. It has been cleaned and checked over by a trusted gunsmith, and is in very good shape for its age.

I am wanting to try using Power Pistol (powder), but I'm having a hard time finding any load info. My bullet is from an Arsonal Molds 311008 124 gr. mold.

I would like to know how much powder to use.

Some people can be kind of leary about giving out load info. If tha is you, I completely understand. If you could just point me to some published data, that would be great too! Thanks
    I think maybe you mean Arsenal Molds?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Schreck5 View Post
    OK, I did find P.P. in the burn charts on the Internet. Just not In my physical manuals here at home. They all show PP to be #34 and Unique to be #32. So really close.
    DO NOT use burn charts for reloading information! You have no idea how far apart they actually are even though they are close on the chart. There is no standard of relationship on a burn chart.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    They may not be able to be substituted grain for grain, but when using an unfamiliar powder, it helps to have some idea of how it compares to a powder that you normally use. For Instance, I have a pretty good handle on how Unique acts. So gathering from that, might I also expect PP to behave similarly? PLease set me straight if I am wrong.