Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meplat: How Big is Too Big ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    No such thing as too big. I shoot full wadcutters seated slightly out f the case for 38SW in my old Brit revolvers..looks great..paper target thinks they are great too. I imagine a bad guy would not like them though.

Attachment 325826
    10% 0ver bore diameter is too big.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    10% 0ver bore diameter is too big.
    ....unless you're shooting a blunderbuss...

Boolit Mold
    I'm thinking my solution may be to have Accurate make a 4 cavity mold, 2 cavities with 80%, and 2 with something wider, then I can try both for essentially the same price. Do any of you have any RECENT experience with Accurate ? Are their posted ETAs realistic (I think 6 weeks currently posted) ? Any issues with them that I need to be aware of ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5X284ever View Post
    I'm thinking my solution may be to have Accurate make a 4 cavity mold, 2 cavities with 80%, and 2 with something wider, then I can try both for essentially the same price. Do any of you have any RECENT experience with Accurate ? Are their posted ETAs realistic (I think 6 weeks currently posted) ? Any issues with them that I need to be aware of ?
    As one who has tried two designs in one mold - DON'T! You're going to decide on one and against the other and then you just end up having to cull 50% of your casts before you even start to cull for defects.

Tom's fast. If he's saying six weeks, odds are the order will come considerably quicker. If you're designing your own or tweaking an existing one significantly, there is a bit of back and forth as he sends you revised prints to approve or reject. Might slow the process a bit, but you end up with what you want.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    As one who has tried two designs in one mold - DON'T! You're going to decide on one and against the other and then you just end up having to cull 50% of your casts before you even start to cull for defects.

Tom's fast. If he's saying six weeks, odds are the order will come considerably quicker. If you're designing your own or tweaking an existing one significantly, there is a bit of back and forth as he sends you revised prints to approve or reject. Might slow the process a bit, but you end up with what you want.
    That's the kind of advice I needed. So If I have a 4 cavity mold, I have to cast all 4 at once, I can't just cast the 2 I want ? Does it have to do with mold temperature being maintained ?

Boolit Master

In theory, you could get up to and maintain operating temperature using just two holes, but (a) not the way the blocks are designed to run, and (b), you're going to get overflow from one hole to the next that you'd usually just consider part of progressing to the next cavity. You're going to be dealing with blobs.

My attempt was a 2 PB / 2 GC for a rifle that simply didn't perform with the PB. Lotta money for a 2-cavity mold.

Advice: run your 454423 and figure out how it does and doesn't work for you, then use that info to order RIGHT.
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    In theory, you could get up to and maintain operating temperature using just two holes, but (a) not the way the blocks are designed to run, and (b), you're going to get overflow from one hole to the next that you'd usually just consider part of progressing to the next cavity. You're going to be dealing with blobs.

My attempt was a 2 PB / 2 GC for a rifle that simply didn't perform with the PB. Lotta money for a 2-cavity mold.

Advice: run your 454423 and figure out how it does and doesn't work for you, then use that info to order RIGHT.
    That sounds like good advice, I think I will hold off until I do some shooting with the guns and see what's what. Although NOE does have a copy ("our version") of the LBT 44-240 WFN in stock, I may order one of those as I consider the LBT design a safe bet. Their 45's are all out of stock, will prolly go with Accurate for those when the time comes.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m not a fan of heavy boolits, less than 250gr does anything & everything I need.

The 452423 is an excellent boolit, probably all you’ll ever need, but where’s the fun in that!? Mine drops 245gr with my alloy. It is my most used 45 mold, fallowed by the Noe TL452-234rf RanchDog clone, and the Lee 452-200rf.

The 452424, and Noe 454-276 SWC (group buy from the “Real Keith” thread) are also excellent. But I have them more out of nostalgia than anything else…

For the 44, MP and NOE make a 453423 in 44, (NOE 432-224 swc) it is an excellent choice in 44 just like 45.
    I also had Tom make me 44 mold, Accurate 43-219A. It drops about 222gr with my mix. Both have been excellent in 44Spl and 44-40.

I’ve not taken any deer, but have coyotes and hogs out to 75yrd with all mine mentioned. And regularly take armadillos, and skunks lol
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelgun View Post
    I’m not a fan of heavy boolits, less than 250gr does anything & everything I need.

The 452423 is an excellent boolit, probably all you’ll ever need, but where’s the fun in that!? Mine drops 245gr with my alloy. It is my most used 45 mold, fallowed by the Noe TL452-234rf RanchDog clone, and the Lee 452-200rf.

The 452424, and Noe 454-276 SWC (group buy from the “Real Keith” thread) are also excellent. But I have them more out of nostalgia than anything else…

For the 44, MP and NOE make a 453423 in 44, (NOE 432-224 swc) it is an excellent choice in 44 just like 45.
    I also had Tom make me 44 mold, Accurate 43-219A. It drops about 222gr with my mix. Both have been excellent in 44Spl and 44-40.

I’ve not taken any deer, but have coyotes and hogs out to 75yrd with all mine mentioned. And regularly take armadillos, and skunks lol
    I had my eye on that 43-219A, but then I noticed the front driving band was reduced (427), what was the reasoning behind that ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5X284ever View Post
    I had my eye on that 43-219A, but then I noticed the front driving band was reduced (427), what was the reasoning behind that ?
    Virtually everything on the Accurate website started as someone's custom order.

Remember that revolvers are going to lock in your nose location at the crimp groove, and the only way to practically change the location of the nose within the gun will be longer or shorter brass. The result of this is that people are gonna play with the length and width of that front band depending on what their gun throws at them. If you want a full diameter front band, put it in the notes with your order.
    WWJMBD?

on another forum there's a guy who has tested many hundreds of bullets in all sizes and shapes

he has come to a conclusion about ultimate meplat size for penetration, depth and straight line

I guess if I were shooting elephants, or rhino's, I'd be more attentive...
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Buddy
    I had that made for a Uberti 1873 saddle ring carbine in 44-40 with a .428 barrel, and a SAA in 44-40 with .430 throats and .428 barrel.
    Also having it useful in my Rossi 92 and Uberti SAA with .430 barrels

It has also proven itself in a friends S&W 44Spl.

* As “Bigslug” said, if you put it in the notes, Tom will make the nose/front band about any size you ask…
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12