Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking ovens/ranges.

Boolit Buddy

Cooking ovens/ranges.

I’m debating switching from an electric to a gas range at the new house. It’s just so slow with my cast irons.

Anyone know what this should cost outside of the oven itself? I’m not sure I want to DIY with gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Do you already have other gas appliances in your house? What kind of access would the installer have (tight attic or crawl space etc…) to run a line to where you want it?

Boolit Master
    They're very similar in price for the unit itself - gas connection will add to that if it's not stubbed out (make sure the orifice size matches your gas type.
    After that - gas gets to temp far faster, cleanup is easier ( lift the grates and the discs and scrub clean, and my wife likes gas better.
    The last reason is likely the most important.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have a gas boiler that heats the entire house.

That is the single gas appliance for the house.

It’s a 4ft crawl space

Boolit Grand Master
    No idea as to cost, but I much prefer cooking on a gas stove.

My in progress cabin is going to have the best of both worlds in my opinion, gas stove top and an electric oven. I have both already, just waiting for the round-to-it to install them.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I have a duel fuel oven / stove. The Kitchen Aid range is gas and the oven is electric, my wife loves it.

Boolit Master
    We went through the same thinking process not too long ago. We had an electric stove and wanted to switch to gas. We have a gas hot water heater in the front of the house, but to run a gas line to the kitchen in the back of the house was $1800 - $2500. Then we had to run an electric line to the stove for the igniter. We had to vent the gas stove to the outside (our electric stove was not vented to the outside). Also, my wife has asthma. And, it had to be inspected by the city inspector.
    Bottom line - we bought an electric induction stove with two ovens. The stove costs more than a gas stove, but, overall, it was less money for installation.
    Best move we ever made.

Boolit Master

if you diy and can get the new fangled flex hose its a simple job with 2 connections but you may have to be licensed to purchase the line. iron pipe is not for beginners, to many places to screw up. the problem with hiring it done is they will have to replumb the whole house because gas lines are sized for a given flow and adding the stove will choke your boiler unless the main line is upsized, so it will not be cheap.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Like all the professional & commercial cooks--- I really prefer a gas stove.

Our house now is all electric, with a flat top stove on a island.
    When I dropped a bacon press and shattered it--- I found out how crazy expensive they are too!
    It works, but I wish we had gas for the stove, heater, and water heater.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Try to find a dealer that will demonstrate an induction stove. That's what convinced my wife. Nothing heats quicker or with more precision than an induction stove.

Boolit Master

We got rid of our all electric range a few months ago. Got a GE profile duel fuel range. Gas cook top and electric range. Really like it! So much nicer with my cast iron too.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Grand Master

For the OP induction would be the best choice. https://www.consumerreports.org/appl...s-a5854942923/

I love my gas stove and my induction cooktops. Never used an electric stove I liked.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

Most jurisdictions require a size pipe entering the house that allows you to add another appliance. With a 4' crawl space the job should not be unreasonable. You will need 120 for the electric, though you should be able to add a junction box and come off of one of the existing circuits. If your contractor uses flex pipe, make sure that he shows you he has put in the anti-nail plates. AS to cost, location, location , location.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I use to HATE electric stoves and cooked on gas, but with the better electric stoves, I can't tell enough difference to sneeze at. Baking had always seemed better with electricity. My 2 cents.

Much rather have a gas cook stove but this house isn't set up for it. That being said electric stoves have come a long way and are more efficient then they use to be. I still like gas stoves for cooking though.

Vendor Sponsor

With a gas range you have the option of going with NO China made microprocessors, just the electric igniters. All manual, all made in USA, American Range. Pricey but the daisy burners really set this range alongside the very best.

When I bake a cake or cornbread I set an alarm on my phone. I can snooze it for 5, 10, 15mins additional cooking time if necessary.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

When we built our house in 2017 we put in a gas oven and cook top and we also put in an electric oven. The electric oven is almost never used. What ever it cost to get the gas line installed will be worth it.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    I’m debating switching from an electric to a gas range at the new house. It’s just so slow with my cast irons.

Anyone know what this should cost outside of the oven itself? I’m not sure I want to DIY with gas

John; I recommend a cheap elec hot plate for the cast part. In the garage.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by max it View Post
    John; I recommend a cheap elec hot plate for the cast part. In the garage.
    Do you only cook in the garage with cast iron?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Keep in mind that almost all of the "Gas Ranges" are California Compliant now. That means that if the Electric Power Goes off; the Gas Line gets shut off at the stove and the stove will not cook. We bought a Stove (Propane/Natural Gas = depending on jets selected) that was made in Canada to avoid this issue. In our case; we cook on Propane gas; but it also acts as a Back up Heat source if the Electric Power goes out and the House Forced Air Propane does not work due to electrical outage. Of course; Belts/Suspendors/Rope as we also have wood stove for heating and cooking on top of it if we had to.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast