Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: local Potassium Nitrate search

Boolit Master

local Potassium Nitrate search

Just a few years ago it was no problem finding potassium nitrate in local stores sold as stump remover. But this week it's not so easy.
    The big orange home building supply store no longer has it, nor does thier competition with the Blue store, but the blue store web site says they have it but once in the store they dont have any, nor Ace hardware or even the farmers coop.
    what is going on? seems the only way to get some is to buy online. the prices shown online is very good though compared to spectracide stump remover in a bottle thats probably like a pint. where do you get your potassium nitrate?

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    this place ive done business before. they are no nonsense and the price is very fair for small quantity and in past do what they can to keep shipping cost low as possible. I guess lessons of past learned and will never again pay $8 or $10 a pound

https://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=10pn

Boolit Grand Master

Go online at the blue home center and choose free ship to store. Then go to the store and pick it up.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    If you buy reagent grade its going to be a lot more expensive than industrial ......but it will also be 100% pure ..........my 1c worth is that anything you can make explosive out of is watered down to the point you cant ..........good example is KNO3 .......add 10% carbonate ,10% KCL ,and its still nitrate as far as your plants are concerned ,but the gubmint is happy cause you cant make gunpowder that works with it.

Boolit Buddy
    I was going to plug Seed World, but this is better.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    Just a few years ago it was no problem finding potassium nitrate in local stores sold as stump remover. But this week it's not so easy.
    The big orange home building supply store no longer has it, nor does thier competition with the Blue store, but the blue store web site says they have it but once in the store they dont have any, nor Ace hardware or even the farmers coop.
    what is going on? seems the only way to get some is to buy online. the prices shown online is very good though compared to spectracide stump remover in a bottle thats probably like a pint. where do you get your potassium nitrate?
    fertiliser store - go someplace where there is drip irrigated horticulture - greenhouse grade in 50pound bags

Stay away from people who tell you to go talk to a pharmacist like its 1910. Nothing remotely wrong with buying it but at the very least you're going to pay obscene money for a few grams of medical grade nitrate and at worst, they suspect you're up to no good and leave you hanging while they report you for suspicious activity. Again this isn't 1910.

Don't bother with box stores either.

You're looking for greenhouse grade Multi K. It is in soluble salt form and listed for sprayers and irrigation use.
    Haifa is top notch. Ultra Sol is good.
    Stay away from people who insist you purchase reagent grade, unless you want to register with a chemical supply house and again, pay obscene money for it.

I would encourage you to find an agri supply warehouse nearby, online orders and shipping will be 3-6x the local price.

You shouldn't need to pay more than $80-$100 per 50lb bag. My area is entirely agri. We have 5 warehouses in 20 minute drive.

In my area now that the citrus industry is gutted out by citrus greening, everyone is going back to their roots of rotated crop farming.
    Demand for nitrate has thus spiked and now the warehouses sell out really fast so I have to be lucky to find it in stock. You shouldn't have any such issues if you're in an area where there isn't a massive shift in agricultural requirements.

Anyhow Agri grade is perfectly suited for the task and I have yet to see any difference in performance and fouling between agri and technical grade. Haifa lists 99.8% pure and Ultra Sol about 98% though I figure it's 99% with a chance of foreign material. Probably lawsuit protection like a raincoat package. You never want to say 100% unless you're the IRS.
    Last edited by Brimstone; 04-24-2024 at 10:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    Stay away from people who tell you to go talk to a pharmacist like its 1910. Nothing remotely wrong with buying it but at the very least you're going to pay obscene money for a few grams of medical grade nitrate and at worst, they suspect you're up to no good and leave you hanging while they report you for suspicious activity. Again this isn't 1910.

Don't bother with box stores either.

You're looking for greenhouse grade Multi K. It is in soluble salt form and listed for sprayers and irrigation use.
    Haifa is top notch. Ultra Sol is good.
    Stay away from people who insist you purchase reagent grade, unless you want to register with a chemical supply house and again, pay obscene money for it.

I would encourage you to find an agri supply warehouse nearby, online orders and shipping will be 3-6x the local price.

You shouldn't need to pay more than $80-$100 per 50lb bag. My area is entirely agri. We have 5 warehouses in 20 minute drive and now that the citrus industry is gutted out by citrus greening, everyone is going back to their roots of rotated crop farming.

Demand has spiked and now the warehouses sell out really fast.

Agri grade is perfectly suited for the task and I have yet to see any difference in performance and fouling between agri and technical grade.

this !!!!! all of it !!!!!