RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite rimfire scope

Boolit Master

Favorite rimfire scope

I just picked up a new to me .22. What is everyone’s preferred rimfire scope?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

There really is no such thing as a "rimfire scope" anymore. I have one with a 6-24 Nikon, one with a 3-8 Leupold and recently acquired vintage Weaver 4x for a vintage Remington 550-1. What is the intended use of the rifle.

Boolit Master
    I would say hunting and paper to 100 yards.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

Mine would be the little Leupold Rimfire Special that I bought years ago and put on my Marlin 39a with Control mounts. james

NOTE: Correction of this post on post #22. james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 04-15-2024 at 09:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    I will say 3x9 overall. With a splatter target you can see the holes at 100ys. I have 4 power and up to 6x32 on a bench rest. I prefer peep sights but you can't see the holes.

Boolit Mold
    2 1/2 to 10 Tasco AO works great.

Boolit Master

The 6-24 is on my 100yd CZ. No need for a spotting scope.

The rifle should dictate the scope choice.
    I like a straight 4x 1” scope the best for my hunting bolt action and semiautomatic.22 rifles. I’m currently using a Bushnell Sport view4x, a Valor 4x(1960’s Japan), and a BSA 4x, and a B4 Weaver.
    I’m not sure, but I don’t think anyone offers a NEW 4x scope anymore.
    I bought a Vortex 2-7x Rimfire scope last year, but I’m wringing it out on my 6.8 SPC AR15- to see if it holds up to that buisiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    There really is no such thing as a "rimfire scope" anymore. I have one with a 6-24 Nikon, one with a 3-8 Leupold and recently acquired vintage Weaver 4x for a vintage Remington 550-1. What is the intended use of the rifle.
    Not entirely true. BSA makes a scope called "Sweet 22" it comes with 3 elevation drums.
    One for 40 gn, 38 gn and 36 gn.
    I think they also make a "Sweet 17"
    Of course they are not quite the high dollar scopes like Nikon, Leupold and Trijicon.

Boolit Master

The Leupold 3-9 EFR allows you to dial the parallax out at shorter rimfire ranges if you're into a semi-precision field rifle. . .

I got a lot of good mileage out of a Weaver RV7 2-7x28 for keep-it-simple bunny gun applications. It didn't really cut it for serious group shooting.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy

A Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14 AO scope is hard to beat for the money.

I have one of those BSA's Sweet 22's on a Remington 597. For the money , IMO , it is a very good 22 scope that holds zero good and seems clear enough for my purposes.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of these really a nice scope
    https://www.muelleroptics.com/produc...14x40ao-black/

Being optimistic, most of the time a 22LR does not shoot more than 100 meters. So in my opinion, you never need more than 4 or 6x if you are shooting casually and hunting.
    Many of us would be fine with a good quality 4x scope. I have a cz 452 that is very accurate and several scopes have gone through it. I started with a 3-9x50 Chinese, it was not good.
    Then I bought a German 3x from the '60s that could cut grass at 50 meters.
    Later I bought a Nikon 4-14x42 Monarch, which was the one I had worn the longest. And it meets all the needs. Now I put a Leupold mark4 4.5-14x50 that I bought second-hand, to practice long range. Since I have the same scope on my 308.
    If I had to start buying from scratch again, I would lean toward the German 3x or the Nikon Monarch.

Recently I have been searching for the same thing and I came across something that may be the best of all worlds. If they have the quality of the rest of the SS I would definitely give them a chance. If I lived in the USA, I would already have one mounted on a 22.

https://swfa.com/swfa-2-5-10x32-ss-u...yard-parallax/

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    I just picked up a new to me .22. What is everyone’s preferred rimfire scope?
    I have several scoped .22 rifles, and pretty much my favourite is the old 3-9x Weaver .22 "Classic" Rimfire scope. Note that Weaver had a "rim-fire line", too, which was priced considerably lower -- the two I have and love were dedicated rim-fire scopes -- then in the $100.00 each range. Googling them, I see Natchez not only has them, but they are on sale: https://www.natchezss.com/exclusive-...on-illum-black

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Mine would be the little Leupold Rimfire Special that I bought years ago and put on my Marlin 39a with Control mounts. james
    Yep - I've used a 4x version & Ruger rings for hunting, for decades, on my Ruger M-77/22M boltgun.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I have 7 of the Leupold, 3x9 EFR compact scopes on several of my 22s and a couple of CZ 527s. Never found them to be insufficient in any way. If I needed another scope in that category, unquestionably, that is what I would buy. (the older gloss version)
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

The first scope I ever owned was a Bache 4x 15 made in Japan, bought in when I was a kid, paid the hefty sum of $4.00 for it from someplace like K-Mart.
    Killed many of rabbits and vermin with it mounted on a Marlin M99-22 carbine.
    I came to the conclusion that you don't need to spend a fortune on a scope.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The first scope I ever owned was a Bache 4x 15 made in Japan, bought in when I was a kid, paid the hefty sum of $4.00 for it from someplace like K-Mart.
    Killed many of rabbits and vermin with it mounted on a Marlin M99-22 carbine.
    I came to the conclusion that you don't need to spend a fortune on a scope.
    elmacgyver0, you do make a good point re not needing to spend a fortune. I was privileged to be invited to a rabbit hunt a few years back -- mid 1970s -- and reckoned I needed a scope for my Mossberg .22 bolt action I inherited from my Great Uncle Vince. A new "big box" store opened up, and I saw the answer to my dreams in a rimfire-suitable scope branded Tasco. I couldn't wait to mount it and get to range to make adjustments. Bingo -- a snap -- and I was all set. At the store, I also bought a few extra boxes of .22 ammo -- so I was all set! We made the four-hour drive in buddy's RamCharger and all decided to just set up camp, going out early the next morning. I had incredible good luck, as at the moment I was putting the magazine in rifle a bunny stopped right in front of me -- no further than twenty feet distant. I missed! We put a paper plate on a tree, and at ~50 feet I was not even on it. BUT -- we got it zeroed in. That was my only rabbit that morn, but I saw another just as sun was dropping, late afternoon. Maybe I didn't notice it sans sunlight that morn, but when I went to aim on this rabbit -- it was as I was looking though foggy Saran wrap! I quietly removed the scope and target was close enough I got it using the Mossberg's iron sights. At least I didn't get 'skunked', but that was my only rabbit in the 2 1/2 day hunt! When I returned home I went to range -- and it turned out "good" that I removed the scope, as point of impact was just under a foot at 25 yards! I tried to return scope to store to no avail -- another story.
    But, the fellows I was privileged to be with suggested, as you did, there is no need for a recreational shooter/hunter to "remortgage the house" for a scope of decent quality. The brand I had did not make scopes -- they started out, purportedly, by re-branding Redfields, later (e.g., the one I bought) outsourcing no-name manufacturers to put them together and market them. I understand their quality has greatly improved -- but I bought cheap junk -- and learned it was cheap junk the hard way!
    With today's pricing, I feel most brand-names in the hundred dollar range should do OK!

Boolit Master
    I have 3 of the BSA Sweet 22 scopes. All are serviceable. Fairly clear glass and adjustable objective for parallax. On the CZ455, I have a Mueller 8-24 power that is parallax adjustable as well. It is a very nice $300 scope. I am very happy with both choices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast