Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have beat prostate cancer!!!

Boolit Master

I finally beat it in 2001, ( Thank you, Agent Orange).....still here.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Is the new procedure called cyber knife?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    Interesting, I am on a similar journey. I had the prostatectomy last November and it was not quite soon enough as it was just breaking out. I am waiting to see if/ when the PSA starts to climb again. What is involved with the "new Radiation"? I have been told that eventually I will need radiation and hormone treatments, which I hate the very thought of.
    frkelly74,

I am no expert on radiation treatments, but I declined the 5-day per week for nine weeks (OLD) treatment over 5 days over 2 weeks. Keep asking good questions about your treatment.

Adam

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations !!!

Sometimes a new Doctor , a fresh set of eyes and fresh idea's are all that is needed to make a huge difference !
    I'm so glad you found her and she was able to help you ...
    God Bless You and Good Doctor's everywhere .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Great news! So happy I read this post! Beating cansor is a real blessing for sure.

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations! Thats great news.

Great news Murf! I had a prostatectomy about 12 years ago, appears the doc was able to get it all? I have a family history of it, a nurse noticed my PSA numbers had doubled in a year, still relatively low. The first biopsy found cancer,surgery was scheduled. I did not need chemo or radiation, glad to hear they had found better options! We want to trust our Doctor, however we need to research our own treatment options and become better consumers of medical services. hc18flyer

That is wonderful news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    Interesting, I am on a similar journey. I had the prostatectomy last November and it was not quite soon enough as it was just breaking out. I am waiting to see if/ when the PSA starts to climb again. What is involved with the "new Radiation"? I have been told that eventually I will need radiation and hormone treatments, which I hate the very thought of.
    I had the OLD radiation which was 6 weeks worth of treatments. I am not versed in the new radiation but I will tell you that you can't have that style of radiation again if the cancer re-occurs. I have had several friends that have had the same results as myself with the testosterone blocker hormone therapy such as mine. The prostate cancer treatment protocol is constantly changing as we learn what is successful and what is not. When my diagnosis went to 12.5 psa, the hormone therapy suggested was the female hormone which was a crap shoot as far as survival rates so I chose the surgery route. Now days, the testosterone blocker is a much less radical yet very effective way to starve the cancer. If I was in your shoes, I would try the hormone blocker before radiation due to my experience. The main thing is to keep it monitored VERY closely and be well read and proactive about your treatment. I wish you my best
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Is the new procedure called cyber knife?
    Cyber knife is designed for surgically complex cancers and the prostate location is nothing if not complex. But....there is a new scan called pet-psa and it is new, so every falicity will not have the equipment. After having the radioisotope injected, in a few minutes the test will highlight any cancer cells as a small starbust and that would be a great way to target the individual cells with the cyber knife instead of bombarding the entire lower area around the prostate. It's light years ahead of where treatment was even just a few yrs ago. Take heart brothers, we now are living in the "good old days".
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Wonder why prior Dr didn’t do the current one did…anyways congrats for beating it!
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats and great news!

Boolit Bub
    Very happy for you!
    Your news gives others hope and some light in the fog of treatment.

Boolit Master
    Congrats, had a clean biopsy a year ago, my number jumps around a lot. Thanks all for a very informative discussion.

Boolit Master

I have always considered myself to be blessed. In 2008, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, had immediate surgery and got complete relief from cancer. I was discharged from the oncologist after five year of negative tests. I still go in for a PSA test annyally. Still sub-.05. I am blessed. By the way, at the time, Vanderbilt wanted to treat me with radiation, but I chose to go with surgery at the VA across the alley. Considerting that I never suffered any pain, had radiation or chemo treatments of lost any hair of weight, I have never used the term "cancer survivor". I just say blessed.

Great news David!

Praise God!
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

GOD is good. Thanks for the reminder to the rest of us.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Glad to hear this David. Please keep us posted.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    Wonder why prior Dr didn’t do the current one did…anyways congrats for beating it!
    Well, to be honest on the prior dr's behalf, the research has(is)changing so rapidly that the only fault I can find is on myself for not being more proactive when my PSA was 4 or 5, But...I never had a urologist then and the dr's I saw then who remarked about it only suggested that we "monitor" it. Wrong answer guys. It's a lot easier to fix when the numbers are low. GET CHECKED! And btw, you don't have to be an old geezer to have prostate problems.
    Now the biopsies to find the true cancerous cells is not something you look forward to. My first 2 were done by the dr who treated my rising psa as infection, of all things! With a PSA of 7.5 to 8.0 he couldn't find a single cell. I believe he might have made good at some profession but is sure a hell wasn't at a physician. If the two 12 needle(through the rectum)biopsies doesn't reveal anything then he should have put me in the hospital and sedated me and done a 40 needle biopsy. It anit a lot of fun but it beats dying from cancer.
    Last edited by murf205; 04-14-2024 at 09:13 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast