RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: LE Reloading - First Time.

Boolit Mold

LE Reloading - First Time.

In the past, for old rifles, I've used Trailboss - I can see a charge because it takes up most of the case, and I can't double charge it. But, Trailboss is now unobtainable. I called Hodgdon and they recommended H4350 as a volume powder.

Using what I could get at Midway, I got PPU Brass and Hornady 174GR soft point and Lee Dies.

I did a FS die on the brass coming directly out of the pack, because it was hard to correctly seat the bullet without doing that. I used 43GR of H4350, filled right about to bottom of the neck (shoulder).

The first round, was factory PPU, so I could get a feel for the felt recoil. That was the farthest flyer. The other five rounds were reloads, from seven yards, standing, iron sites, with a guy who's eye sight isn't so great. I was pleased with the consistency. The rifle, new to me, is a Mk4, No. 1 - stamped 1943.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	target.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	325650

The brass will stay with this rifle, so I believe I will only need to neck size next time.

My only cause for concern, is the loads I made up, have ring around the neck, and the factory load doesn't.

Resizing?
    Different bullet then factory?
    Something else?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ring.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	325651

Boolit Bub
    "Dirty neck after firing" syndrome. It just looks like carbon from blowby. It's common.

Boolit Master

What K43 said, quite common. Wipe it off or tumble, neck size only from here on.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

4350 won't give complete burn in your application. It's much too slow. You probably have unburned powder kernels too. Other than Trailboss a full case is a poor criteria to choose an appropriate powder. I would have to study further and you should as well. I believe IMR3031 would be a better powder for your application and no danger of double charging.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Agree with RickinTN, 3031 or 4895 would be much better powders to use. Start at 25 gr with either and work up in 1/2 gr increments to 30 gr. The best load will be in that range giving between 1750 and 1950 fps.

I also suggest you try a dacron filler with either of those powders...There is a sticky on "the proper use of a dacron filler" with information in post #1.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dhe View Post

The brass will stay with this rifle, so I believe I will only need to neck size next time.
    If you haven't already fired all your new PPU brass for the first time, resulting in that first case stretch, you can form the brass to your chamber before firing by creating a false shoulder and then full length resize until you have a crush fit upon chambering.

For subsequent reloads, the Lee Collet Die for the .303 British is about as good as it gets. For jacketed ammunition I did load trials with powders that were suitable for reloading .308 Winchester, 30/40 Krag, etc.

Boolit Master
    I have had good results with IMR 4064, AA 2460 and RL 15 with jacketed bullets, mostly 150 grns. Most any powder in that range will work. In my opinion 4350 is on the slow side for the 303, especially ball powders. I tried 760 Win and needed to step it up and use a magnum primer. I tend to stay away from max charges, easier on the brass and seem to shoot better. Neither deer or paper targets can tell the difference.

For cast I mostly use IMR 4198 at around 20 grans. and a fluff of Dacron and the Lee 185. Please read Larry's post on proper use of fillers.

Boolit Mold
    What are the practical negatives of using a slow burning powder?
    Dirty Bore?
    Barrel Wear?
    Brass Wear?
    Wasted Powder?
    Lower Velocity?
    All the above, other things?

Boolit Grand Master

1,3 & 4. Basically inefficient use of resources. You will reach your most useable velocity with a faster powder.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

IMR4227 would be another wonderful powder for what I think you are trying to accomplish. 15 to 17 grains or so and let 'er rip!
    Rick

Boolit Master

Try playing with 'The Load'; 13 grs. of Red Dot. See the thread on '10 Grains of Unique'; fun reading!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')