Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cart before the horse? Have a barrel blank...

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!

Cart before the horse? Have a barrel blank...

I need to draw on the knowledge of the group. I bought a 24” 1-3/8” diameter barrel blank and want to keep as much of the length and diameter as reasonably possible. My buddies tease me about wanting a “tractor axle” barrel.

My plan was a barrel stub on a single shot break action, but I’ve struck out twice going that route. One fellow has passed away and the other wanted to chamber for 38 special instead of 9mm. I’m about 99% sold on 9x19 and 1% for 380acp with thoughts of reaming to 9mm later.

If someone has lugs and could make it into an Encore barrel, I’d be happy as a hog in slop!

What platform would you pick to make it happen?
    Thanks in advance!

Boolit Master
    Barrel lugs for the Encore can be found online. I think there are a few places to buy them. As for someone willing to do the work, no clue. We have precious few real gunsmiths in Oklahoma, and the cost of having such work done is mostly prohibitive: as single barrel could cost upwards of $400-500, which in my mind is just not worth the effort for something like 9mm, 380acp or 38spl. Especially when you can do like I did and buy a 18" chamber insert and get great results. See this thread, pay attentions to pg2 towards the bottom: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...adger-30-Reece

In short, you can get a very accurate solution fairly cheap. If you were doing something with a unique wildcat, it'd probably be worth it to have a barrel made. But for something like 9mm, 380acp, or 38spl you're better off going this route I'd think...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Any particular reason you want such a long, heavy barrel for a pistol cartridge? It won't be very nice to carry, for sure.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Any particular reason you want such a long, heavy barrel for a pistol cartridge? It won't be very nice to carry, for sure.
    Yes there is! I’m going for low muzzle pressure. 24” was the longest I could find.
    Plus, I like heavy guns and light triggers...

Boolit Buddy
    Tiny powder space, tiny powder charge. Deep seated heavy boolet loafing along at a subsonic pace.
    Hence the rejection of the 38 special case.

Boolit Buddy
    “You don’t want that”
    I still remember an old auto repairman telling me that once. It burned me up!
    I suppose it was his condensed version of “I don’t think you need that” or “it isn’t what I would choose” but the words he selected never have set well with me.

I upgraded to a camshaft with a little lope in it. (My very first V8 vehicle) l didn’t own a timing light back then and asked him for help after I did the camshaft swap. He said it sounds like it’s missing. I never asked him for help again.

I would recommend fellow member John Taylor once you decide on your project.

Boolit Grand Master

I would really think this thru as 1 3/8" will be bigger than most receivers and barrel stubs leaving a step to deal with. A slight taper will make it much more appealing and move the center of gravity back for a more comfortable carry / balance point.
    Im thinking even on a single shot rifle that barrel contour and length is going to end up close to 15-16 lbs with wood and sights/scope.
    Fluting the blank would also lighten it with out losing the dia lightening it some.

People who want to do strange projects should invest in a lathe and mill.
    That is what I did.
    I do some really strange things.

Boolit Master

Well, you would have a stepped barrel of you proceed with an encore. The Encore breech uses a barrel diameter of approximately 0.997". You would need to have the breech or entire barrel turned to about an inch.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I would really think this thru as 1 3/8" will be bigger than most receivers and barrel stubs leaving a step to deal with. A slight taper will make it much more appealing and move the center of gravity back for a more comfortable carry / balance point.
    Im thinking even on a single shot rifle that barrel contour and length is going to end up close to 15-16 lbs with wood and sights/scope.
    Fluting the blank would also lighten it with out losing the dia lightening it some.
    If I were to add lead weight in the stock and forend, would it be better to secure it with Accra-glass or any ol two part epoxy?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    People who want to do strange projects should invest in a lathe and mill.
    That is what I did.
    I do some really strange things.
    This is probably the best advice so far.

I should have bought a tire machine when I was 18. It would have paid for it’s self over the years.

Boolit Buddy
    The only concern I have at the moment is if this comes together as a break action and some hammerhead opens the action and lets the barrel flop down unsupported.

A bolt action in 223 class would be close on the bolt face for 9mm. This is another consideration for chambering to 380.

Boolit Buddy
    Attachment 325574

Here’s a 200 grain Lee seated in a 9mm case.

Boolit Grand Master

What weight are you looking for? My match rifles ( NRA high power) are in the 13 lb range and thats a heavy rifle I have seen long range rifles (1000 yds) that were in the 20 lb range but those are only shot prone. Even prone they are tiring.

To weight / balance my service rifles I poured shot in the traps till I had what I desired then poured it out and mixed with a thin long cure epoxy and poured it back in I mixed the shot and resin thoroughly then added the hardener and mixed. This gave a very even mix and the most working time. on a stub gun the fore end will need a pocket cut in it for the shot epoxy mix possibly two pockets depending on the attachment method.

My AR10 weights in at 14 lbs and is almost to heavy for the off hand stages. My bolt gun in 243 is 13 lbs and with the tubbs stock almost ideal. both are 26" barrels.

A friend had his M1A up around 22 lbs and very few could shoot it from any position but prone.

Boolit Buddy
    Side tracked...
    I want this to send lead down range. I’m not after a certain weight. I’m looking for an action to make this happen.

Thought about an AR but they are blowback in 9mm and don’t use a separate barrel extension, so my current diameter won’t accept a barrel nut.

It can be done with an AR, but the barrel nut will be more or less captive. I had a 223 heavy barrel like that where you couldn't take the barrel nut off without removing the extension or turning down the barrel. It's really too much weight for the aluminum upper and as far as I know no one make a heavy steel flattop upper. You're basically carrying the barrel as the action is lighter. Thread your barrel for a lugless barrel extension like this one which was made from a piece of a barrel drop. Had it on an A1 upper for years, but eventually shortened it for a SBR lower. The seam is on the edge of the "Sten" copy feed ramp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9mmBB-2.jpg   9mmBB-3.JPG  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    It can be done with an AR, but the barrel nut will be more or less captive. I had a 223 heavy barrel like that where you couldn't take the barrel nut off without removing the extension or turning down the barrel. It's really too much weight for the aluminum upper and as far as I know no one make a heavy steel flattop upper. You're basically carrying the barrel as the action is lighter. Thread your barrel for a lugless barrel extension like this one which was made from a piece of a barrel drop. Had it on an A1 upper for years, but eventually shortened it for a SBR lower. The seam is on the edge of the "Sten" copy feed ramp.
    That’s thinking outside the box!
    Thank you!! It is something to consider for sure. That route would be fast and inexpensive to get going. I think I’d rather have a locked breach vs blowback, but maybe just a super heavy buffer might work?

Plus I have a 20 MOA riser sitting in the parts drawer all lonely.

Boolit Master
    I would probably use an H&R single shot action. Easy to find, inexpensive, and they work well.

Boolit Master

I am working on a Spanish Destroyer Carbine in 9mm Luger!
    Bolts are unavailable so I’m making one, actually 3.
    Long drawn out project!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast