Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman H and I die quality control alert

Boolit Man

Lyman H and I die quality control alert

I just purchased a Lyman H&I die, that is 0.005 oversize. The two upper lands where the O-ring sits is the problem, it will not fit inside the retaining nut. I just purchased this from Miday last week

Call Midway. They will take it back and replace or refund.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Man
    Thanks Sam, That's what I'll need to do. I just wanted to warn anyone that purchased one recently. I spent 15-20 minutes trying to get the retaining nut back on, before I took it back out and discovered the problem. And whoops on the misspelling of "Midway".
    Last edited by NObamain2012; 04-06-2024 at 09:16 PM. Reason: misspelled

Boolit Bub
    Someone else started a thread about undersize dies. He purchased them used and not sure how old they were.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...st-or-gunsmith

Boolit Man
    Update; the problem was the upper O-ring land was overstamped with the size designation. This caused it to egg-shaped, and the retaining nut would not fit. I wanted to use it this weekend, and didn't want the hassle to return it. So I went to my buddie's shop whom has a lathe.We were able to fix it, but destroyed a carbide insert doing so.

Sounds like an expensive fix. Think I’ll send it back if I get one like that. Thanks for the heads up. I didn’t realize they were that hard.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NObamain2012 View Post
    Update; the problem was the upper O-ring land was overstamped with the size designation. This caused it to egg-shaped, and the retaining nut would not fit. I wanted to use it this weekend, and didn't want the hassle to return it. So I went to my buddie's shop whom has a lathe.We were able to fix it, but destroyed a carbide insert doing so.
    Star, Lyman, SAECO are all hardened. Honing or grinding are your best bet for any mod's.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Man
    True, I now owe my buddy a $20 carbide insert, I wanted get this project done , and didn't want to risk being sent a replacement with the same defect.

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS H&I dies are pretty hard, too. Had to whet one down to fit a 450 years ago.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    RCBS H&I dies are pretty hard, too. Had to whet one down to fit a 450 years ago.
    Thanks for posting that. I do own a Wilson Rockwell Hardness tester however I don't have any RCBS H&I dies to check.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Just saying , rather than return it to Midway, maybe return it to Lyman.

They made the thing, they should make it right.