Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maximum speed with Black powder.

Boolit Master
    The Spanish tried to blow up a rolling block as part of selection trials ..........with barrel plugged ,and 270 gr of powder ,the gun could not be blown up.....This trial is widely documented.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    The Spanish tried to blow up a rolling block as part of selection trials ..........with barrel plugged ,and 270 gr of powder ,the gun could not be blown up.....This trial is widely documented.
    "nothing is impossible to the willing student"
    I blew the nipple out of one of my post hole guns - shredded the metal on its way out - used a half charge so 6 inches of powder then rammed in six inches of dirt over it - then spent about 15 minutes swinging the sledge hammer to drive that gun down into an old farm road bed - the mistake was the half charge - it was bottled up so tight that there was no place to go - the shredded nipple went what I believe was several hundred feet vertical, landed back with a clunk on the shed roof near me, tinkle tinkle plop right on the ground at my feet.

That roller that held either didnt have a big enough charge or wasnt plugged good enough else it would have blown.

Boolit Buddy
    Today I watched a video on YouTube of a guy who made a .22 cal muzzleloader, with just an 18" barrel. It says in the video that he reached up to 3,200 fps with the lightest bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandro_ventania View Post
    Today I watched a video on YouTube of a guy who made a .22 cal muzzleloader, with just an 18" barrel. It says in the video that he reached up to 3,200 fps with the lightest bullets.
    do you believer it was straight blackpowder ?

Boolit Master

One thing everyone has failed to consider, is the maximum pressure that black powder is capable of achieving, which is 36,000 PSI. When the pressure reaches maximum, it stops burning until the pressure drops below max, and it is then reignited,by the heat. This cycle repeats itself until the projectile exits the muzzle, and the pressure drops to near zero, and the remaining unburnt powder ignites causing the ball of fire and sparks at the muzzle.

With this knowledge in hand, it is easy to understand why it is possible for longer barrels and lighter projectiles to gain higher velocities. It also leads one to conclude that in most of our guns, we are reaching the point of diminishing returns quicker than we realize, and are most likely burning more powder than we need. I absolutely noticed this with my Colt Walker. I don't remember the exact numbers now but the difference in velocity with a 210 gr conical with 40 grs of 3F was like 10 fps less than with 50 grs. I will gladly save 10 grs of powder per shot and give up 10-12 fps.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    do you believer it was straight blackpowder ?
    Yes I believe. The author made another .22 gun, but with flint... and in this arrangement it seems he couldn't achieve more than 2,500fps.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    One thing everyone has failed to consider, is the maximum pressure that black powder is capable of achieving, which is 36,000 PSI. When the pressure reaches maximum, it stops burning until the pressure drops below max, and it is then reignited,by the heat. This cycle repeats itself until the projectile exits the muzzle, and the pressure drops to near zero, and the remaining unburnt powder ignites causing the ball of fire and sparks at the muzzle.

With this knowledge in hand, it is easy to understand why it is possible for longer barrels and lighter projectiles to gain higher velocities. It also leads one to conclude that in most of our guns, we are reaching the point of diminishing returns quicker than we realize, and are most likely burning more powder than we need. I absolutely noticed this with my Colt Walker. I don't remember the exact numbers now but the difference in velocity with a 210 gr conical with 40 grs of 3F was like 10 fps less than with 50 grs. I will gladly save 10 grs of powder per shot and give up 10-12 fps.
    Friend, this information of yours is very important, it makes all the difference in understanding. Maximum 36,000psi and stops burning when it exceeds this value. Could you provide the source of this knowledge? I searched and found nothing! There is a black powder calculator, P-Max, which makes calculations showing pressures above that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123