Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: GPIdaho: Moved on to a new adventures.

GPIdaho: Moved on to a new adventures.

Greetings:

My name is Chris and I'm Gary's (GPIdaho) Son In Law. I wanted to let you all know that Gary passed away in the early A.M. hours of 3-15-2024.

At age 24 I taught Gary how to load his own ammo, this would have been in the year 1994. He was extremely interested and very quickly picked it up after being shown some of how certain tools did certain things and why. Within a 3 year period he had everything related to reloading you could imagine! He not only liked the precision and cost savings but also felt a deep responsibility to protect his and others rights concerning responsible firearm ownership, operation and especially the joys of the shooting sports!

In 2013 Gary had his first encounter with cancer. It was then during a very long and painful recovery that he was mostly confined to his home but luckily had internet and found out about lead casting and started his studies in it. This is what brought him to Cast Boolits in 2014. He was incredibly motivated by what he was learning on his own but especially what this site and all of the helpful members were sharing with him and amongst others!

I simply cannot come close to how many times I heard things like "I learned a really cool trick on Cast Boolits today" or "In swapping and selling I got a great deal on, or sold a ..." He was a very dedicated individual who taught me the joys of how nice powder coated boolits worked out! We enjoyed many years of shooting together when we could. Gary could make something out of very little and it would most always be of large significance. His laughter and sense of joy for life and family was indeed tremendous!

He never fully recovered from the damage of the extreme doses of radiation and chemo he was given. Sometimes I would notice that even though he felt happy his huge smile took a little more effort once in awhile. Gary had a huge belly laugh that could fully radiate an otherwise mostly dark room. He stayed the course and later in life enjoyed his Winter months in Florida and never gave up his love for firearms and fishing and was cancer free!

Late in 2023 the cancer came back and was without mercy. I want to thank everyone here that he dealt with for ABSOLUTELY prolonging his life throughout the years and that is meant in no small way at all!!

He would not like me yammering away about all of this so I'll just borrow some of his own words that I heard many times throughout the years. "Alright, enough of this kind of stuff, lets go do something fun like shooting or fishing or maybe both!!"

My memories of him will always include his huge laugh and smile but now my smile is MUCH larger knowing his no longer takes any extra effort at all!

Thanks so much to you all for what you did for Gary and the sport!
    Chris
    Can't Remember What I forgot about..

Boolit Master

Very nice write up, Cancer is a curse, He is beyond that now and it can hurt him no more. Sorry you lost a great friend.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Cris sorry to hear about Gary, tough to loos a friend or FIL that is a friend. Prayers for the family and Gary. We casters are few enough as it is.
    Best
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    What a wonderful tribute. Thanks for sharing.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I’m truly sorry for your family’s loss. Remember the good times, forget the bad,and always keep his memory in your heart, and he’ll be with you forever! His pain is gone now. May he Rest In Peace. Great write up, he seemed like a genuine fellow, you were lucky to have known him.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Very nice and heart felt tribute to your friend and father in law. May he rest in pease.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Agreed. I am glad you remember him so fondly and that he was able to enrich a few lives along the way. R.I.P. Gary.

Boolit Grand Master

So sorry to hear this. My prayers to the family and friends. We are diminished.

Boolit Master

RIP GPIdaho…
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Chris, well done sir!

I can not say that I actually had much interaction with him, but he will be missed. Thank you for posting and telling us.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Very sorry to hear of your loss. RIP, Gary.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Agreed.

Sorry to learn of his passing.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Moderator Emeritus

Shoot, another good one gone.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze